Review for a guest who couldn't make it

Kim87
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

Review for a guest who couldn't make it

Hi hosts!

I can't find previous posts about this although i remember you discussing it.

The guest i expected yesterday messaged me early in the afternoon : they couldn't pass the USA\Canada border because of a previous offense (minor, she didn't mention what it was) her boyfriend comitted in 2010. I told her to cancel, wich she did, and informed her about extenuating circumstances (not sure it even falls in this category). She said she might try, but that she was happy with the partial refund in these circumstances. Everything was cordial, i actually feel very sorry for them, they drove hours to just drive again back home - and now i received the airbnb email to review her.

Should i leave a review ? Do i just leave a factual review and mention she was easy to communicate with ? Do i have to give a star rating for categories wich don't apply for my review to be valid and published ?

Thanks for your input!

Kim

5 Replies 5
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kim87I wouldn't review her at all as she didn't stay at your place.  I think if you mention no-show or last minute cancelation you will do more harm then good and as I understood this is not your intention.

@Branka-and-Silvia0Exactly. I don't want to harm her in any way but i feel mentionning she couldn't make it for circumpstances out of her control might harm her anyway. Also, i think i have to write AND give star rating for the review to be valid right ? I don't feel at ease rating cleanliness or respect of house rules for a no show.

@Kim87

well, she didn't break any of your rules and the place was spotless after her stay, right? 🙂

But I don't see any sense in reviewing or rating guests who cancelled, in fact, if she cancelled one day earlier you would not able to rate her at all.

@Kim87 I would handle like this:

- No review

- Communicate with this "guests" that you not planning to leave and expect a review because of the given situation (so they not stressed if you would probably mention the reason)

- I would offer to give a discount in case it would work out at another time (probably never happens but sounds very warm).

- Track incoming reviews and make sure they did not leave a review.

If they should do, also leave one and mark them (reasonable) down.

Kim87
Level 10
Montreal, Canada