Reviewing guest

Deborah614
Level 10
Waikanae, New Zealand

Reviewing guest

How long has a guest got to make a review?     I gave my last guest (a couple and 2 young kiddies) a 5 star review.   They were nice, and they also seemed appreciative of my B&B.   The wife said she loved my coffee, fresh ground beans presented in her own personal silver plunger.     I asked if she would include 'good coffee' in my review.    

Well, I've given them a great review.   But there is complete 'radio silence' from them.    

I have made recent improvements to my Airbnb.      I invested in a set of Royal Doulton pure Irish Linen sheets, and some 400TC Egyptian cotton sheets.    Furnished the dining room with some divine antique furniture and rich soft furnishings.    Fine bone china to serve breakfast on.   

I had better reviews without all the improvements I made.      So I messaged the guest this morning:   

Hi Tom,
I want to thank you for staying with me, I hope you enjoyed the improvements I've made. You're the first to have the pure linen sheets. I've invested quite a lot of money in Royal Doulton pure linen sheets and 400 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets and I wonder if guests will notice the quality, or whether it is not worth providing those things because they are not noticed anyway.

Also, I forgot to show you the bath robes in the closet - I must type up a little page of reminders for the guest.
(your wife) said she enjoyed my fresh ground coffee too which I appreciated the feedback on.

Could I ask you to write me a nice little review of your stay, mentioning the coffee which Lacey liked, the toys which the children liked, and the beach camp fire dinner? It would help me immensely.

Thanking you in advance,

31 Replies 31
Deborah614
Level 10
Waikanae, New Zealand

P.S.   could someone please explain, what is this Level 3, Level 5, Level 10  -    is Airbnb people-sorting now?   Will I be subjected to a Myers-Briggs q'aire soon?  LOL

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Deborah614  they have 14 days from check-out at which point your review will be published if they haven't left one.  The level number is derived only from participation in this forum.

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

Hi @Deborah614 , I'm sure your improvements are lovely, although truth be had, I am not sure that they are the kind of things guests would comment on after a stay. Particularly if they didn't have a baseline experience to compare it to.

While I know it can be frustrating to not get a review when you feel, and certainly have reason to believe, your guests had a very nice stay, I am also not sure that I would recommend reaching out post-stay for a request for a review with hints about what they can mention specifically. I personally might have felt uncomfortable if I received your note as I would have felt obliged then to mention these items vs what I would have written of my own accord.

When I first started hosting I wanted to be sure to build up reviews quickly, so I always included a personalized, handwritten welcome note that mentions that I would appreciate a review at the end of their stay. I think I got reviews from guests 90% of the time when I did that.

I think you might be better off updating your listing to highlight your new improvements (that's what I did when I installed new A/C) and letting your guests provide reviews as they will with maybe a reminder at the end of their stay "I hope you enjoyed your stay - please do fill out the review once sent to you by Airbnb!" or something like this...fingers crossed your guests come through with a review before the 14 days is up! Best of luck

Thanks Valerie, I think you are probably quite right.   There are plenty of people who would not recognise or appreciate pure linen sheets.   I've put them away for when the situation requires it.  For example if a couple book in and say they're on honeymoon.      I've also stopped putting out my fine bone china on the tea tray, one cup got broken and it was so saddening that it's just not worth it.   

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Deborah614, people are 'review weary' and many don't bother or just don't get around to it. I have started sending out this message as a gentle reminder to guests after they check out, which seems to help:

Dear xxx, thank you so much for choosing to stay in my home - you were wonderful guests and I hope you enjoyed your stay as much as I enjoyed hosting you. I have left a 5-star review for you and hope you can find the time to write a review for me so I can continue to offer my home as a budget-friendly, safe and comfortable place for other guests. Thanks again - it was really lovely meeting you both! Best wishes, Kath 🙂

Obviously, I only send this to guests to whom I've given a 5-star review (which thankfully is most of them).

Deborah614
Level 10
Waikanae, New Zealand

I did write them a nice little letter, and they would have noted I gave them a 5 star review.   However, still nothing.   Not a peep.   I bet they will reply to my next message which will read:  

Hi Tom, is your wife missing an item of solid gold jewellery?  I was cleaning the room tonight and just found a small item.   If you could describe it, then we can organise a secure courier for it.  

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Deborah614 Hahahaha the cunning! Sounds like a brilliant plan. I would also consider sending them a direct text, if you have their number through their booking details page. Sometimes I find people stop reading the Airbnb app (or even uninstall it) after they are finished travelling.

Deborah614
Level 10
Waikanae, New Zealand

@Ben551    Hmmm, but their profile still seems to be up.    I think I will continue to remind them  via Airbnb that they left a gold & precious stone ring in the bedroom.    For a while anyway.    Then I'll advise Airbnb admin.   

I also reminded another guest who left her Kindle.   She said she'd be up to pick it up.   that was 3 years ago.  I keep reminding her, sporadically.      I have this leather bound kindle I don't know what to do with.   If she would just send me a self-addressed courier bag!    

I can't work some people out.   

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Honestly @Debs0 after three years you are still sending reminders 🙂

Just use it or give it to a family member.

Deborah614
Level 10
Waikanae, New Zealand

Haven't got a clue how to use someone else's Kindle.   It would feel like stealing it anyway.   They must be very valuable.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Normally a kindle that is three years old,  won't have much second hand value @Deborah614 

It is not stealing if you have contacted the guest multiple times. I think here we need to keep things for three months and can then dispose of it.

You just charge it and log on, with your own log in details for your Amazon/Kindle account.

If you don't want it why not give it to say a local refugee group so they can give it to someone who can benefit from it rather than just keep it gathering dust.

Deborah614
Level 10
Waikanae, New Zealand

I don't have an Amazon or Kindle account.  But splendid idea, @Helen3  to give it away to someone who could make use of it.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you sent me a text asking me to review you I would find it really intrusive and it would impact on the review I gave you @Ben551  or I wouldn't leave you one at all.

Deborah614
Level 10
Waikanae, New Zealand

@Helen3     Asking for a review, is the same as asking someone for a referral.   If you know that they are a satisfied customer, in all the sales training courses I've ever attended, we have been trained to ask a customer, if they are happy with the product or service, to consider giving us a referral.   It's not co-ercive or manipulative as you imply.   It's done in business the world over.    Referrals, word of mouth, whatever you want to call it.   It's there in Sales 101.