STAR RATINGS for Cancellations and No-Shows - Hosts Expected to Lie? Or Just Make Something UP?

Paris46
Level 2
Clearlake, CA

STAR RATINGS for Cancellations and No-Shows - Hosts Expected to Lie? Or Just Make Something UP?

Recently had a Cancellation who never showed up to Check-In. It was a taxing process of attempting to work with this guest through extensive modifications and dysfunctional communications. Now that she's trashed my otherwise beautiful profile, I was given an opportunity to REVIEW the experience> However, I'm being forced to fill in STEP ONE of the RATINGS game before being able to write a review. How am I supposed to select 1 - 5 STARS in the RATINGS when I have not experienced these aspects of CLEANLINESS, OBSERVANCE OF HOUSE RULES and COMMUNICATION, because she NEVER CHECKED IN?

The natural inclination is to just make something up, or to lie as payback, however, I'm seeking a more ethical and truthful solution. The RATINGS and REVIEW SYSTEM has a major flaw, and every day, many of us feel the pain. Why are HOSTS and GUESTS expected to play this RATINGS game when it has NO INTEGRITY and is NOT based on actual experience or truth?

Someone...please...???

23 Replies 23

Yes...indeed...you called it. In a way it's comforting to hear I'm not the only one having this experience, yet ultimately it's even more disconcerting. Considering others have struggled before me, perhaps you, and have been responsible and forthright in suggesting change, it's even more disturbing that the lies go on.

The rhetoric I've been fed by the robotic responses have become demeaning and only serve to belittle the amount of pure devotion I put into this service of hosting. The frustration of pointing out something so obviously flawed and being put off, penalized, and denied amendment is the result of a system that seems to have become deaf and ignore-ant to it's community.

Support members are instructed to advise us to submit feedback on the subject. If a topic gets enough feedback, it may be addressed...let's hope. So...please, if you could take the time, submit feedback on this topic, just as you have here...showing that you notice and that you care. Thank you!

@Paris46 Unfortunately airbnb doesn't care. They are fully aware of it all. This is Airbnbs own community and hosts has been complaining about it for years and years 😕

Nancy115
Level 5
Mills River, NC

@Paris46 Just this week I had a no show. For all no shows I put that fact in the review and include if they were or were not communicative, courteous, requested anything special, etc.  I also indicate if I'd host them in the future.

I give them 5 stars for house rules and cleanliness. If they were not courteous, communicative, request special things and requested a refund without it being an emergency, I give them a poor rating on communication. 

No shows happen infrequently. Early in my hosting career (3+years) I did contemplate the rating conundrum, but I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and rate them as stated above. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I don't write reviews for no-shows or cancellations. There is nothing TO review!  I don't know why Airbnb even asks for these reviews.

So far, every time a guest has cancelled on me I have had another guest book a LONGER stay. So I kind of welcome cancellations! If one day I am not able to re-book, that's OK too because it's just part of doing business -- like customers returning products to a store.

Paris46
Level 2
Clearlake, CA

It's encouraging to connect with community over something that ultimately affects us all. I was hopeful that together we'd be able to help call for change in the RATINGS STAR SYSTEM, after realizing the limits of my one voice.  Most responses seem to explain or defend a dysfunctional and flawed system rather than addressing how to change and improve it. I appreciate the "workarounds" and the spirit of necessity, however, I'm looking to get this right, instead of continuing to participate in something that erodes my soul and integrity.

I've become increasingly frustrated by the runarounds when trying to manage a  mean-spirited "newbie" who cancelled and never checked in. I've now learned that she's reported me for having a dangerous animal and my listings have been blocked before I have the chance to defend myself from her spiteful and false allegations. This is a good example of someone becoming bitter over a cancellation policy and taking it out on the host in the review and rating process. It's effectively taken me down, and I need the community's help.

I've written to Aisling Hassell, VP of Community Support, aisling.hassell@airbnb.com, and asked her to look into improving the Ratings System so that the Stars, Ratings, and Reviews can be based on actual experience, not lies, guesses and faking it. It would help for you and others to use your voice on this matter by contacting the boss and calling for change. With all respect and compassion, the underlings seem intent on protecting their scripts, jobs and status quo.

Hi @Paris46 🙂

The problem here is that you are the number 500 + who writes here in this community this year about the exact same subject, the rating system. Hosts that like you have had one of those completely unfair experiences with the review system. 

Airbnb doesn't care. They are fully aware of it all as I wrote earlier and  that is also why none of the hosts who are regulars in this community react to your message about contacting those who actually has a saying in how the system is put together.

This community is not just a nice place to interact with fellow hosts it is also Airbnb's direct access to everything that happens in host-land. They are aware and they don't give a **bleep**. 

As I had nearly the same situation as @Paris46 and made so many complaints and nothing happened, I am too disappointed about it. But, I think we shall do something to stop it eventually! Will we allow that standard for the future will be based on lies? I have a son, who will soon begin to help me with this business, do we want our children to become liers? 

Samantha147
Level 2
Eugene, OR

Am I incorrect in believing that ABB's own policy prohibits a guest from leaving a review if they do not stay in the property?  I feel like I have read this in other threads before, but can't seem to locate anything that says so. I never leave a review when there is a cancellation, and why would a guest? When guests cancel there should just be an automated posting, like when hosts cancel.

@Samantha147 Guests are allowed to leave a review if they cancel within the last day of check-in (I can't remember how many hours before check-in). It is because they should be able to review if they arrive and the listing isn't there or if something is wrong with the place.