Sad farewell to AirBnB

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Sad farewell to AirBnB

Today is the day we say goodbye to AirBnB as hosts. Over three years ago we began hosting on this site and while there were issues, we were very happy with the guests who came our way. Since the arrival of Plus and the dramatic increase in hosts in our area, we went from 99% of bookings with AirBnB to our current state of 0%. That is despite being superhosts, etc. All of our bookings now come from other platforms and we are very pleased with the quality of guests and the reliability of their platforms, plus their telephone support if there is ever a problem. 

We will be staying as members as we like using AirBnB as travellers - good luck to everyone, thank you for your advice over the years and here are the top four things we have learned.

1. Be welcoming to your guests, remember they may be as nervous as you - they will appreciate a smile and warm welcome
  2. Don't undersell yourself as you will get the wrong type of guest
  3. Hosting in your own home is tiring so remember to take a break occasionally
  4. Try see your property/guest room from a guest's perspective - what would you change or do differently?
60 Replies 60

I just stared working with AirBnB and already considering removing my listing. The reason: there are many issues that AirBnB needs to address, including collecting correct taxes for my location and while discussing with customer service people I always hit an wall. They don't get it. Other plarforms are very responsive...

@Gerry-And-Rashid0   Onwards and upwards.  Best to you and much success!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 

I have read nice advices from you in this community.

Sorry to see you go.

Sincerely I wish you both all the best in your new way!

Emma271
Level 2
Brisbane City, AU

Gosh, we are having a very similar issue - last year I was flat out with guests coming & going - the property was full on average 5-6 nights per week.  Our reviews are 5 star & written reviews are fantastic but since November 2018 we have had 4 bookings... What is going on??    Currently in crisis mode & don't know who to contact & ask why this is happening.  Sorry to hear you are moving on but totally understandable.  We have been invited to join the ULTRA program & we have been going back & forth for months trying to become listed even though it was 
Airbnb who approached us...

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Emma, ULTRA? Have never heard of this.

@Gerry-And-Rashid0, sorry to see you go.

It must be MKULTRA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra

Airbnb is tired of complaining hosts. With this new mind control program, suddenly all these godawful initiatives and site faults feel hunky-dory and hosts gripe 100% less often. 

Soon all hosts will be required to enroll in MKULTRA

/s

@Allison2 

Lol! Not too far-fetched, actually... 🙂

However, in this instance, I think Emma may be referring to Airbnb Luxe, Airbnb Plus's sexier, sassier, more expensive sister, who's just about to sashay her way onto the Airbnb catwalk, and is apparently going to blow all our minds with her fabulous awesomeness... 

(New "initiatives" on the plarform are often given a different title during the pilot phase and the implementation phase - Airbnb Select/Airbnb Plus for example) 

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/airbnb-luxe-a-first-look

@Emma102

Yes, sorry to hear your bookings and inquiries are down too. My listing has also been harder to find amidst the lower rated multi-property manager listings despite my rave reviews and being a superhost.

Whats the “Ultra” program?

@Gerry-And-Rashid0

Thank you for the advice. I wish you all the best.

Gerry&Rashid, sorry to see you go !  Thanks for all the advice you have given. Good luck and Happy Hosting!

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Gerry-And-Rashid0, I'm very sorry to see you go. I've very much valued your contributions to this forum. It would be great to know what other platforms you're using as my bookings have also dropped right off in the last few weeks. Best of luck with everything!

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Could it be that Airbnb continues to show only base price on map and sliders, so if your base price is high, then you are not going to get by bookings. Great way to annoy consumers who are trying to search by price..

@Gerry-And-Rashid0

You will be missed - but as hosts I think you are making the right decision. Good luck~ 

Agreed. Going to miss you, @Gerry-And-Rashid0, but, as always, your advice is spot on. All the best.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 this makes me sad. To see a long standing host and CC contributor leaving Airbnb is both sad and concerning for the hosting community. I sincerely wish you well and would also love to hear about the platforms you are now using - something tells me we will all need to know soon!