Scams and Fake Accounts

Deio0
Level 1
Penygroes, United Kingdom

Scams and Fake Accounts

Hi all,

This is the 4th time I have been targeted this week by a guest who had enquired to book (usually on an unavailable date). After i decline the request they say that payment has been taken and request me to refund them.  I've never once had this issue over the previous 12 months, what's going on? Anyone else having the same problem?

2 Replies 2
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Deio0  Good to know the different scams. I had one recently that claimed they had booked and were arriving the following day but couldn’t see an itinerary and asked I email them . But they linked it to an actual real host somehow. So when I messaged her( the actual host) via AirBNB  to say that there was nothing booked my end she replied that she hadn’t made any bookings nor was going to.

I immediately changed all passwords and reported to Air Trust and Security.  Some scary peeps out there. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Deio0 ,

Something is confusing here: You got an inquiry (must be answerred, can be pre-aproved or declined) , but then you state you declined a request (Must be accepted or declined).

A request can not be made on dates which are not available.

Anyway: if there is no confirmed reservation, the guest is not charged, so probably an attempt to scam.

At least we are warned now, thanks

best regards, Emiel