Security Deposit

Lilly50
Level 1
Silverton, OR

Security Deposit

I just added a security deposit to our home. I am aware the guests do not pay the deposit unless I charge them however much the damages were after their stay. Do guests see that there is a security deposit in place when they book, so that when they do get charged it's not a surprise to them?

Thanks for the help! 

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lilly50,

The security deposit is mentioned in the listing under "policies".

Yours is $500. It is not mentioned in the booking form, not sure it is mentioned on the reservation (under section houserules ? ), maybe another community member can help on this.

TracieandJason0
Level 8
Philadelphia, PA

@Lilly50 (Edited per Jeff's response) Airbnb decides the resolution and if some or all of the money is returned to the guest or compensated to you. Just a warning though, it seems Airbnb usually sides with the guests so you will need really good concrete proof of damages. Usually receipts of the items value, security footage, etc. I wouldn't know because my guests have always been happy to reimburse me for damages but I've read a lot of stories where it has been difficult to get the money back if the guest does not agree.

@Lilly50 I just reread your question more carefully. I don't your security deposit as shown below and I am not sure if guests see it once you approve their request to book. 

ss.png

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@TracieandJason0 sorry, but you are wrong, no security deposit is charged to the guest.

Click the link for information:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits?q=security%20depo...

@Jeff158 Opps. Thanks Jeff! I corrected my response so no one is misled.