Security System and Door Lock tied to Airbnb

Melissa636
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Security System and Door Lock tied to Airbnb

Hi - I am about to rent my first airbnb property and I am researching security systems. My property is in a neighborhood close to downtown Atlanta that is in transition. I would like to have the door lock be tied to Airbnb's reservation system and have it automatically turn off the alarm system when someone enters the code. And arm the alarm when they leave. I was looking at Vivint. But I just found out that starting mid-Sept they will no longer be auto generating codes based on Airbnb's reservation system. 

Does anyone know where Airbnb is going with this? Thanks for any insights...Melissa

6 Replies 6

Hi Melissa,

I've had Vivint since 03/2017. In fact, I hired Vivint because of the apps sync and security codes distribution. Unfortunately, it will all be discontinued, as you mentioned. I have been looking for something else, but I haven't found anything yet. It won't be easy either since it'd require an agreement between Airbnb and the security company.  I am using ADT in our home and I might look into getting it for our Airbnb as well so I can have both accounts with the same company. 

Cheers,

Marcelo 

Jim433
Level 1
Anacortes, WA

I have installed some exterior security cameras on my property for use primarily when the property is not rented.  I cannot find where to edit my existing listing to show that I have exterior cameras.   There are no cameras in the house!

Jim

Hi Jim, 

I was actually looking into that as well. I am planning on installing exterior cameras, but of all the listings I saw, I didn't see any notes disclosing that the listings have exterior cameras. Nowadays, I don't believe it is rare to have such cameras to monitor outdoor activities. I'll keep looking a little bit more, but I'll probably end up installing them and not make changes on my listings descriptions.   

Marcelo 

Try ‘Edit listing’.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Jim433  Go to Listing then Booking Setting. Scroll down to House Rules and click edit. Scroll down to the bottom and check of Surveillance or recording devices on property. Don't forget to save the changes.

@Mark-and-Marcelo0  If you have exterior camera's you do not mention in your listing AirBnB can shut down your listing if someone tells AirBnB about them. They can cancel penalty free and the cancellations on you. I would advise you to mention them. 

What are Airbnb’s rules about electronic surveillance devices in listings?

Our Standards & Expectations require that all members of the Airbnb community respect each other’s privacy. More specifically, we require hosts to disclose all surveillance devices in their listings, and we prohibit any surveillance devices that are in or that observe the interior of certain private spaces (such as bedrooms and bathrooms) regardless of whether they’ve been disclosed.

Rules for hosts

If you’re a host and you have any type of surveillance device in or around a listing, even if it’s not turned on or hooked up, we require that you indicate its presence in your House Rules. We also require you to disclose if an active recording is taking place. If a host discloses the device after booking, Airbnb will allow the guest to cancel the reservation and receive a refund. Host cancellation penalties may apply.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/887/what-are-airbnb-s-rules-about-electronic-surveillance-device...

Kanani2
Level 6
Albuquerque, NM

Personally, I'd prefer to set a custom code for each client, and then message the code to them before they arrive, along with detailed instructions on how to use it. I just don't want that info on any system, given the number of hackers these days.