Shocking encouragement of guests disregarding checkout day & time

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

Shocking encouragement of guests disregarding checkout day & time

These are just a few images of Airbnb's twitter page including their own reps condoning guests not leaving on time. On Wednesday this week I had a distressed call from my housekeeper about someone's stuff still being in a condo that was supposed to be turning over. I called the guest repeatedly, sent texts and airbnb message saying you were supposed to be checked out at 11am... no response for hours. We had new guests waiting to arrive that same afternoon. I will glaze over the details in this initial post to not muddy waters for my point but it took hours to get Airbnb service which was useless once I got someone. I should know that by now but was desperate and thought reporting would be important protocol. The Airbnb agent gleefully informed me that she would be refunding the next guest... not out of any Airbnb insurance/fund but out of my payout which instantly became zero...  SO if your guest does not leave, you lose your income from the next guest and you are supposed to thank them for canceling the next guest without penalty for you... and on top of that you are stuck with getting rid of them and their belongings if they do not willingly leave.  Robots talk to you for hours about emergencies like that Airbnb's got real humans posting replies like this making a joke out of people not leaving your property. 

b7e9c281-f813-4117-96b2-c59719c60603.JPGe193a42d-9615-45c3-8edb-7aeafd7f0149.JPG08d4a291-d3ff-4c12-aab6-655b7e4cf34d.JPG

51 Replies 51

I’m advocating for the host being able to charge the security deposit as needed. 

I would like us all to be pressing the point for making the security deposit real on Airbnb. Instead of fake. 

I am advocating for Airbnb taking these things more seriously instead of joking about them...  to recognize that we need to be covered financially when guests  cost us time and money by blatantly violating rules. 

I’m not sure how you have misunderstood my post so completely. If you enjoy packing peoples belongings up for no fee, being stressed for hours out of the blue when guests choose to violate your rules and/or paying a security guard to handle guests violating rules while not getting to charge the guest then that’s your prerogative.  I think you skipped a lot of other posts about the fake security deposit and denial or host guarantee claims.

I want to be able to hold guests accountable. Financially.  

@Mary419 @I really did not read into this post as you advocating for a security deposit. I thought it was either an outrage against the people of Twitter, or a vent/looking for advice on a recent stay. Now I know though what you are advocating for, a security deposit. It does make sense that if a guest fears losing their security deposit they may think twice about behaving in a way where they can lose their money. Although it seems to me most late check outs and bad behaviour are not planned. 
Wouldn’t it be lovely if we had a cushion (security deposit) upfront to reduce our stress levels and provide a backup plan. This is not the case and so some hosts go to great lengths to have additional documents signed and taking deposits upfront. I’m not sure if that is allowed though, I’ve never looked into enough. I’ve read policies against it. Perhaps it is something you could do. 
My empathies are with any host who has been in a negative situation hosting a stay. As for your suggestion I would enjoy being in a situation to pack up and bounce rule breakers it is not true. No host wants to be in that situation. However, you must be prepared to deal with that situation if it does come your way. I’m not entirely sure what the solutions are for you, but having a deposit won’t solve them all. I can’t imagine how much stress it would be to run over 70 units and if you are doing that kudos to you. It really would make sense to have some sort of security to call if situations arise within those 70+ units. Do you think these Twitter user comments come from guests that have gotten away with bad behaviour in the past? 

@Mary419  You seem to be under the impression that hosts haven't been sending feedback about these issues to Airbnb, that somehow we are all just okay with no real security deposit and rest of their guest-centric attitude.

Airbnb doesn't care, obviously. So all hosts can do if they want to use the platform is have their own systems in place for dealing with egregious guest behavior, and keep sending feedback in the hopes that one day they'll unplug their ears.

Hi @Elaine701,

What happens if the guest stuffs gone missing by the gate, are we responsible or not?

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Dale711 

I'm sure they would try to make it our responsibility. But I was really being a bit "tongue in cheek". In reality, I'd just put it in storage.

But look, if they've not checked out after checkout time, and can't be bothered to communicate what's going on, then I can't be bothered to wait for them.

Our contractual obligation technically ended at 10:00am. I'm happy to be flexible about it if I can, but not if they don't feel they can be bothered to say anything or respond to my requests. 

Hi @Elaine701,

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated!.

I've got a guest who left a piece of heavy luggage ( 76 cm high ) here over a month ago, and we didn't open to seeing what is inside.

He didn't respond to phone calls, text messages, either Airbnb messages.

We do know what to do with it.

I hope this is the case, as the link below. 

https://opoyi.com/over-half-a-million-euros-cash-found-in-an-apartment-cellar-in-paris

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Dale711 

You will need to look up your countries legislation on items left behind/ lost property to see what the required laws are as to how long you are required to hold on to items, what steps you are under laws to try contact the rightful owner, and when you can subsequently sell those items to defray any expenses you may have incurred.

The same laws apply for property left at libraries, shops, swimming pools, gyms etc.

Did you ever find out what was in the suitcase?

Hi @Helen427,

Thank you for your great advice.

We didn't open the suitcases because the hosts could not touch or move the guest stuff.

Besides, the suitcases are locked.

Let me find out the legislation and may contact the local enforcement.

@Sarah977  I don’t think that Airbnb CS are like that, I’ve had 99% of CS be pretty awesome. I know you don’t ever have issues and so go by what you hear through the grapevine, but I can testify I’ve only had one out of probably 20 not have common sense and see it the way it is! 

@Katrina79  I was referring to Airbnb policies, not CS. As in Airbnb doesn't care that they don't protect hosts by having an actual security deposit, nor care that guests who cause damage or are called out on breaking house rules are allowed to leave revenge reviews. 

As far as CS goes, I have had issues, just not issues with bad guests. My experience with that is mixed, but mostly it has taken many back and forth messages to get them to stop acting like robots and actually understand the very simple issues I was contacting them about. And that was BEFORE their CS fell off a cliff.

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

Hey @Sarah977 ,

I know a lot of us have sent feedback. I sure have too. But comments like the ones from Helen and @Katrina79  do indeed make me feel like many hosts are unaware of the problems, or refuse to believe reports of problems.... and they truly believe that all problems would be paid for by Airbnb. When in fact there are hundreds of threads about being denied a payout. I personally believe that the guest not having to pay for what they do is exponentially increasing the bad actors use of the platform. The host guarantee is not charging the guest.  Does everyone understand that? The guest can just say no to paying. And then the host guarantee can either pay all, or some or none of the claim out of Airbnb's pot. 

Refusing to believe bad things are happening because such a bad thing has not yet happened to you yourself is far from a new phenomenon.  Issues exposed by someone like me are speedily squashed by those on this site refusing to see anything remotely negative about Airbnb itself.

I stupidly get an inspiration, every now and then, to show fellow hosts things that are happening and try to open more eyes. I start thinking there is strength in numbers. I truly appreciate the few replies here that indicate understanding and thank you @Lawrene0 for explaining my screen shots are from a recent twitter thread and actually do make perfect sense. 

When I get met with combative spirts from other hosts... and it makes no sense unless they are just jealous that I have so many guests I have hosted... I see how easily Airbnb gets to remain guest-centric to a level that is illogical destructive to the platform.  Hosts won't get on the same page to demand basic protections. That is why you do not hear from me often here. I am busy. Very very busy. I am seeing a big picture. I have it on good authority which I will not disclose that the party problem (and damage, injury claims associated with it) is destroying the platform, yet the twitter feed still makes light of it and makes guests feel like their stay is going to be wild and crazy. 

I was hoping that I could help with my info but if you have it covered with the complaints, I will bow out. I do want all of you to search on Twitter for the word Airbnb and also check their own Twitter page, as often as possible. To see these things evolve. It is scary. 

@Mary419  The hosts you mentioned are not newbie, naive hosts. They are well aware of the issues and it's rather condescending to think that they aren't. They just have a different attitude than you do, that they don't expect Airbnb to have their back, which doesn't mean they think no real security deposit is okay, just that they work pragmatically with what is, not on what we wish it would be.

And you have to understand that managing 70 properties is a lot different than hands-on hosting one or two. It's really two completely different businesses.

Yes I understand it is drastically different. I do not understand why you are OK with what is on Social Media though. That is pretty hard to understand.

What is the argument between you and me beyond that? Those of us who know the deposit is not real... you say that we all know yet you want to make 2 camps, some who are accepting it and some like me who want to keep protesting?? Do you think that I am just now learning that Airbnb does not have my back?

So you are you saying my post indicates a bad attitude? I guess that means that you like what the Twitter page has on it. And you do not like me complaining.

You say we are all aware it is not a real security deposit but Katrina mentioned I should be entitled to full compensation so I think plenty of hosts are not aware. 

@Mary419  You are not comprehending what I wrote, or I wasn't clear. I have no argument with you. Of course I find that Twitter exchange disturbing. Just as I find the blogs where guests exchange tips for getting a free stay or trying to get a host to discount disturbing and offensive.

I absolutely did not say nor think that you have a bad attitude. I said that some hosts have a different attitude, it's not a matter of good or bad. 

And the different attitude doesn't mean we just give up- I post criticism of Airbnb policy and suggestions for how they should change things all the time. But it's a matter of how much of one's time and energy one wants to invest in trying to change the policies of a platform that has shown that it really doesn't care about what is good for hosts.

I mentioned the very different hosting situations because I can understand that when you have 70 properties to manage, the law of averages means that you will have much more potential for bad guest issues than hosts who are small-time.  So the lack of a real security deposit, for instance, has much more impact for you than for me, who hosts a private room in my home, where guests can't throw parties, sneak in more guests or pets, or check out late while I have a cleaner waiting.

But that doesn't mean I approve of Airbnb having a bogus security deposit or not supporting you when a guest leaves all their belongings including a friggin gun when they were supposed to have checked out. The lack of support for hard working hosts, and acting like guests' lack of respect is some joking matter is disgusting.

And when Katrina said you are entitled to full compensation, that doesn't mean she is unaware or necessarily thinks you will get it. As we all know, what hosts are entitled to is not the same as what Airbnb CS reps think we are.

@Mary419 @You are fully authorized to collect 2 nights stay in a late check out with same day turnover. It is in the terms!