Should GUEST get a refund because of MOSQUITOES ?

Nikita6
Level 4
Venice, Italy

Should GUEST get a refund because of MOSQUITOES ?

AirBnB-Mosquitoes.png

Can anyone point me to the document which AirBnB uses to decide what is a valid claim for guests to recieve their money back.

I had a guest stay with us and get 2 bites on their arm, they woke up and left without warning and later asked for a refund of the night they did not stay.

Note... We provide: repellent, window net on one of the windows in case the guests wnat fresh air, and no net on the other window for the view, and even a bed canopy which can be used for protection against mosquites too!

I sent AirBnB support a message asking if we should issue a refund... (I know bed bugs are refundedable) but mosquitoes?
at first the support sided with me, saying that those are not bed bugs and I should have nothing to fear guests should not have left without warning like that, then I get a call from a very determined AirBnB support agent, whom has just gotten off the phone with the guests and told me the guests are getting a refund wheather I like it or not.

what's worse is that first she said they get a partial refund, and by the end of the conversation she said they get a full refund, and I'll have to call in a bed bug inspector to make a check, and if he signs that we are cleat, only then she will partially refund me just 1 of the 2 night.

Seems my operator was determined to not play this in my favour and made the worst outcome, even after initally stating she will give a partial refund, she purpousefully ended up refunding the full ammount...

Whom can I complain to about the AirBnB support?
And do mosquito bites really qualify for a refund?
 - if that were the case, one can book the most expensive listings and just get one bite to have it all for free.
We had no one complain before and no one after, superhost status and 4 years without any similar complaints.

p.s. The operator keept saying: we cant determine wheather the guests were bitten at your property, that the staff are not experts to determin if it were bed bugs, that no one can prove anything (implying that they should get a refund, when in reality all those statements work both ways.)

and when I asked to please point out anywhere in the policy where it mentions mosquites, she said they have a clause about "vermin". 
Very unpleasent operator whom was set on an idea and politely didn't give a chance for dispute.

p.p.s. moderator please stop removing my post, there is no accusations here, only genuine questions

11 Replies 11
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Jesus @Nikita6  ... I am speechless ...

What's next? If the bird sits on the window frame the guest will be refunded?

Makes you wonder what kind of refund these oh-so-sensitive guests will expect if that same bird actually takes a nice, big crap on that window frame?!?

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Nikita6Do you get a refund when you got a mosquito bite in the hotel?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Nikita6  I'd go to your local TV news and give them story of how airbnb treated a local host....that might get your money back.

Ricardo741
Level 6
Kingston, Jamaica

Thanks for your post. I will be updating my house rules in the manual to counter any attack by guests. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Who knows where they get bitten, it could be anywhere outside of the house, even before their arrival

This just proves that we all depend on some CS rep mood and free will.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Nikita6 

No

James3197
Level 2
New York, NY

Just had this issue right now. A guest claim she got bit by a mosquito, now she wants the full refund for the entire stay.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just confirm you can't be responsible for mosquito bites she picked up while staying in the city @James3197 

this
is
insane

James3197
Level 2
New York, NY

Update: Airbnb decide not to give any refund because of no documentation. I was afraid Airbnb would side with the guest.

However this is still a concern. The guest made every attempt to give false complaint about the place in order to get a full refund for a complete stay. Of course she gave me a 1 star review, which should not be a 1 star review. The room was newly renovated 3 months ago before I listed here.  Of course I gave her 1 star review, which was factual.

My question now is how do I avoid guest like these in the future? In the beginning they seem nice.