Should I be asking for some money back?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Should I be asking for some money back?

We just completed an Airbnb stay. Being a host myself I feel horrible even thinking about asking for a refund. But the experience was not what I expected. We arrived really late at night and one of the beds was not made at all. We could not find extra bedding anywhere, messaged the host and just crashed as is. My daughter just slept on the couch without a sheet or pillow. We did find a blanket. Towels had to be shared. The host did not reply till following afternoon. The following night there was a leak above my bed and wet drywall was falling into it. Right above my face. Messaged the host a few times about that and a few other items not working but did not hear back until end of the trip, right before check out. At that time the host hoped everything was great. I spilled all I though about my stay and did not get a reply. 

At the end, no one got hurt. We all had a place to put our heads down. The place was not too expensive but not a bargain either. If this were a hotel, I would have for sure expected a compensation. But it is not a hotel. Your thoughts?

43 Replies 43

@Inna22 I did not see this posting until today. So sorry that you had such an experience. It is truly appalling that Airbnb CS did not side with you, especially when shown the pictures of leaks and damaged furniture, plus the other problems you mentioned. How is it possible that this host has great reviews? How is it they can possible become a Plus Host? Was it really inspected by a Plus team? Was it all perfect when the team was there and it all went amuck the next day? And the host’s response to you is very unsatisfactory. Airbnb is doing themsleves and all hosts a disservice by allowing such a host to host at all. 

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

To add to this topic, I have a question of my own. I'm currently on a two-week road trip and have been using Airbnb as a guest for the past week and a half, with great stays. However, the place we just checked into has several issues and I would like some fellow-host feedback. Fyi, I do not plan to ask for a refund.

First, I did not receive the check-in instructions or door code today, so about 2.5 hours before the check-in time, I finally messaged the host to say that I may have overlooked it, but I could find the message with the information. The host responded saying she will be sending the check-in info one hour before check-in, which I found very bizarre and thought about if I were to do that with my guests, that they probably would not receive the message in some cases at all. I simply said it was perfect and thanked the host. 

Now, there are 4 beds in the house, as shown and listed in the listing, but only one is made up, with the other 3 being totally bare and there are no linens to be found in the house. We have booked for two, but I think it's rather presumptuous to assume we're a couple and even if we are, we often like our own space to sprawl out. 

Also, the hot water is severely lacking and we were unable to take hot showers, but only lukewarm ones. 

The host has very positive reviews and none of these issues has been mentioned in any of them.  I am hesitant to mention the second and third issues during our stay, as I know that can prompt a later negative review by some hosts if it is taken as criticism and the host could imagine a negative review is coming. 

In the past, if one little thing pops up, like a mouse I saw once or the smell of cat urine once, I simply mention it privately to the host.  In this case, I'm torn whether to mention it privately in my personal feedback to the host after check out or make a mention in the public review.  I personally find the habit of giving the check-in info one hour before check-in as well as only making up one bed to be a very bad practice and do not like it at all as a guest.

Thoughts? 

Situation is not acceptable.

Yes - mention to host but make sure it's within the messaging system. Then document to Airbnb immediately. In some cases, it is worth it to move rather than ask for a refund. There's s difference between guests who are "picky" and expecting the four seasons, versus arriving to find the apartment looks nothing like the photos (which is what you used to make the selection) or not having basic amenities available.

Sometimes "life" happens - for instance the A/C went out in my apartment and I offered to put the guests up in a hotel. They said they were fine with fans but I arranged to get a contractor out that day (Sunday/holiday) and get it fixed. Anything less was unacceptable.

On the other hand I had a guest who claimed my apartment (rated sparkling clean by previous guests) was dirty and had ants. Neither was true (I came over and shot video just in case) but her family left crumbs everywhere, helped themselves to food not set out for them, and did ten loads of laundry. I got a "3" rating from them and blocked them from ever finding my listing again. And I don't think you are "That" kind of guest.

So be honest - but if you had a less than favorable experience (like not getting the code, and finding beds with no linens) that seems to me to be something to bring to Airbnb's attention. You are right - it is bad practice.

BTW - one day I had two guests book with similar names and I sent the code to one but forgot to send to the other. I was at a conference and the organizer turned off my ringer while I was speaking. Forgot to tell me. Two hours of frantic emails later - I told them they could check in early while I was gone)   I saw a note pop up on my now silent phone. As it was, they were still able to get in at the regular check-in time but I gave them a refund for the night and told them to have dinner on me (about $120) because I had inconvenienced them. She said it wasn't necessary but I thought it was the right thing to do. Maybe that just makes me "odd."

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@John1080  I've not yet stayed as a guest, but if I did, I would want check- in info a week prior. It would seem that it would make guest edgy to only receive it day-of, let alone only an hour prior.  Maybe this host has had problems with guests arriving way earlier than stated check-in time? I start nailing down details with guests a week prior to arrival, if it's last minute (well, I avoid really last minute by having 3 days advance notice) I'd do it immediately when they booked.

Did you tell the host how many beds you'd be using or just assume there would be 2 made up? Maybe there were faulty assumptions from both host and guest. Seems like if you booked for 2 though, it should be up to the host to ask if you'll be sharing a bed.

No hot water? That's crummy.

Have you communicated about any of this with the host? Given them an opportunity to correct the issues, or was this just a 1 night booking?

Sounds to me like this host needs to step  up their game.

@Sarah977, thank you for responding. Yes, the 1-hour check-in info is cutting it a bit close for me, as someone who likes to plan and also have my ducks in a row at least a day in advance. Personally, I send the info one week before a guest checks in. 

For the beds, I booked for two guests, but I never mentioned the nature of our relationship. I keep all my beds made up in my space at all times, as the guests are renting the entire place and if they want to use all the beds, I see it as their right to do so. We will be fine with the one, but I do find it a bit odd that the others are totally bare. 

For the water, I will see how it goes tomorrow morning, but no I have not mentioned it to the host, because since I already had asked about the check-in, I do not want to come off as complaining and risk a negative review from her, in anticipation that I might leave one myself. 

At this point, I'm leaning towards leaving my feedback in the private feedback section of my review.

@ nev@ John, I have many many apartments with sofa bed but i never made them ready unless the guests asked, if i see the guests are 2 i only make 1 main bed unless they asked and paid for it, if u booked a house with 4 beds i am not going to make the 4 beds as i am thinking u may want to add extra guests, why a guests who booked for 2 would like to have 4 bed made.

Did u read propertly the host guidine about the extra bed ? why i am asking 60% of the guests  never ask for the extra bed till they reach the apartment ? 

For the keys info, i send a week prior to arrival general info to all guests when booking are made earlier, and depending on guest location if same country, continent i will send keys info 24h prior to arrival if guests different time zone 48h prior to arrival. If guests. notified me she wont have access to wifi as travelling through diff country i send keys info and ask her to check her email on arrival as free wifi at airport in case they are any last min update

For me the bed issue just depend on each host and how she explain on her listing, but many guests assume if 2 bed in 1 bed apartment both bed have to be made but in other hand they always forget to take into account the extra fees related to

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@John1080 As far as the hot water goes, it doesn't seem like complaining to me to send a message like " Hi Xxx, Sorry to bother you, but was just wondering if maybe we need to reset something on the hot water tank, as water is only ever lukewarm? Maybe last guests messed with a setting? Thanks."

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@John1080

1. Info one hour before check in is ridiculous. People might be traveling with no access to internet. This would give me so much anxiety!! 

2. If the beds are regular beds, they should be made at all times. Futons are ok not made. However, it is on host to ask how many beds a guest needs regardless of how many they booked for. And if they need more than what they paid for- it’s another conversation. Extra bedding should always be at the house for accidents. 

3. Water- is there a boiler that needs to be turned on? That was the case at my disaster stay. I did not even mention it here because there was a blurb about it in the house book. But who reads that when they get off a 12 hour flight at 3 am? I feel my host should have told me but left that out of my comments here and to host  because officially he did put it in the house book. 
John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Sarah977 @Inna22, an update.

Just tried the hot water again and it was fine this time. It doesn't last long, but is sufficient enough for a quick shower, which is what I usually take anyway.  

As for the beds, the one that was made up was so terrible, with a sinking hole right in the middle, I felt like I was fighting to stay afloat, so after several hours of tossing and turning, I finally grabbed a blanket and just slept on one of the other beds that was not made up. It had a clean mattress protector on it, but nothing else, but I finally was able to sleep. 

And, I agree 100% about the one-hour policy. I have never heard of such a thing and frankly feel it is disrespectful to guests. If one is flying in, driving through an area without service, etc, it is very stressful to not have heard anything from the host. 

Thinking I will probably leave a 4 for check-in and mention it and the beds in my private feedback to give her a chance to address the items - she is still relatively new to hosting but seems to already have been pretty busy.

I send info to guests as early as they request (certainly days, not hours before). The thing that I hold off on, is that I don't set the code until checkin time, but I do tell them what the code will be.

I have maaaaany beds at my place and I only make up the ones that should be needed and my guest info asks them to tell me if they have any preferences. However there is a linen closet and they certainly would be able to make up others if they felt they should.

@Kelly149, it sounds as if you do things properly in your spaces. 

For codes, I set it and send it one week before. I understand some people may have had an issue with guests arriving too early, but one hour before is ridiculous lol. 

For beds, it's great for both the guest and you as a host to minimize turnaround time, that you communicate with the guests about the number of beds needed. In this case, there are 4 beds in the house and all 4 are shown/described in the listing. For the host to assume we would need one bed without asking any questions of the guest and not communicating about beds in any way is really not good hosting. I was shocked to look at the beds and see only a mattress protector! 

@John0. A naked bed is unacceptable 

my extra beds get their comforters & pillows. I just skip the sheets. 

Would never expose a mattress cover to guest eyes. 

@Kelly149, I agree. When I saw those beds, I imagined what my guests would think if they went upstairs in my place and saw beds with nothing! 

What do you all think I should do as far as a review? 

Sounds icky. You could ask Airbnb to refund you and find you an alternative place to stay.

For the review - be  "constructive" and "objective" but be honest. As  hosts we suffer when the market is flooded with low-rate, bad accommodations. But take photos and upload to the host, then report to Airbnb about the issue. They need to know there is a difference between what was offered and what you actually got when you arrived.

I used to be nice rating people (because we're all trained to be nice growing up). But now learning - this is business and we all need to be a bit more honest about these situations.