So only 5% of superhosts will get the superhost relief fund!

Bob40
Level 10
Montevarchi, Italy

So only 5% of superhosts will get the superhost relief fund!

After an estimated 5% of hosts being entitled to the 25% payment, which turned out to be 12.5% anyway, it's now clear that about the same miserably low percentage will benefit from the superhost relief fund. Can I suggest to Airbnb that instead of releasing upbeat PR stories, they keep quiet? Why raise hosts' expectations at a time when we're badly in need of income? It's just sailors' promises!

89 Replies 89
Patty168
Level 4
New York, NY

It's sad but actually I don't have any more expectations. As I've told to other hosts... I'll just believe on relief funds if I have the money deposited to my account. Seriously... I'm considering the idea of blocking  my calendar till next summer. It'll be a shame because probably I'll lose my superhost status and everything that I've fighting for during the last 2 years. Tutto andrà bene? Quando? Chi lo sà? :((

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

And a third, yes a third of all those being invited to apply for the superhost relief fund are US hosts meaning the remaining two thirds have to be spread out across hosts across the rest of the world.

Bob40
Level 10
Montevarchi, Italy

@Helen3yes, well, no surprises there! By the way, how did you find that out?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I read it somewhere sorry can't remember where.  

@Helen3  Well, that definitely contravenes their anti-discrimination policy, doesn't it?

@Sarah977That's an interesting point!

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen3@Bob40 and @Sarah977 ,

Thanks for sharing your concerns here. I would like to contribute with some extra information regarding your thoughts on the SH:RF:

As you may already know, the relief fund is being used to provide aid to hosts that have been hit the hardest, meaning that not all Superhosts will be invited to apply for the grant. I would also like to assure you that hosts from all over the world are amongst those that have been invited. According to our latest data, 65% of all hosts invited thus far are from outside the US. I've enquired with the team for some more up to date figures on the fund distribution to share with your soon.

That being said, invitations are being sent out every week until mid-May currently so I urge you to vigilantly check your email inbox until we can get more info over to you.

I hope this was helpful.
Liv

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Liv 

Thanks for your input. 

We know that Airbnb has decided to allocate a third, yes a third of  ALL the grant money available to just one country the US and one of the richest countries at that. And that hundreds of countries throughout the world are left with 2/3rd of the grant money to share between them...hardly fair is it?

We also understand the criteria for being invited to apply and that not all superhosts are being invited. Those who host the longest, those who are worse affected and who are dependent on income.

So why are hosts who have hosted for a year, with five listings and  a partner with their own business and other sources of income being invite to apply and have been granted funds already, when those who actually fit the criteria haven't even been invited?

1.  Airbnb said they were starting with hosts, who have hosted the longest, which is why it is surprising to see hosts who have been superhosts for only a year being invited. Particularly when you see hosts like myself who have been superhosts for five years have not received an invite.

2. It is particularly galling to see hosts in countries where they are still allowed to host and make money from their STRs i.e. the US and Canada be invited to apply when you take into account there are many countries in Europe, the Far East,  Africa, Middle East and elsewhere who cannot host and therefore make money from their STR.

For example, if you look at the UK we have been banned from hosting since March (currently up to July) so can earn no income from our STR.  Airbnb has also not allowed us to charge for key workers (unlike hosts elsewhere) so we cannot even cover our costs through doing that.

I am grateful that Airbnb has set up their funds, but it seems my worst fears are coming true. Money is going not to those in need but those who shout loudest.

Rather than giving a huge chunk of available income to the US; one of the richest countries in the world, why didn't you ring fence a third to hosts from the poorest communities in the world who often have no access to welfare benefits, food and mortgage breaks/loans. 

To be honest it is not helpful to tell us information we already know. Nor to tell us to watch out for some mythical email/golden ticket when Airbnb clearly told us they were invited hosts who have hosted the longest first.  Therefore as you are inviting hosts who have only hosted for a year it is clear that I and many other long standing hosts have missed the boat.

Jane2811
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Hi @Liv

How is it known there have been SHF grants given to hosts who don't meet the criteria that was listed? That's not good! 2 days to go for an invite that I assumed I'd at least get as I meet the criteria.

I was trying not to raise hopes for an actual grant payment but are you saying not even the eligible hosts will be invited to apply?

DITO! I've been a SUPERHOST for 4 or 5 years, received amazing reviews from wonderful guests to prove it. I book out 4 to 5 months every year as I listed an additional room each year. I have 1 booking for August which I will give them every option possible. The point is that I have been a superhost for 5 years and will have my income reduced by 99%, where is my invite? I fit every possible part of the criteria to the maximum point. Why haven't I received an invite? Does this Fund actually available? 

Frank J Guerreiro

@Liv  Thanks for your reply, but "As you may already know, the relief fund is being used to provide aid to hosts that have been hit the hardest," isn't what the original proposal indicated. It said that the grants would be given to hosts who were most in need. That's two different things. The hosts who show the most significant difference of income between last year at this time and this year are going to be primarily the bigger earners. Who may not necessarily , and in most cases, will not be the hosts most in need of financial assistance.

A host who made $80,000 in March and April of 2019 has much more ability to save for a rainy day than a host who made 3,000, and if they didn't, that's just a bad business model.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks @Sarah977  that is an excellent post

You are absolutely correct the fund is meant to be for hosts in need not just wealthy hosts in western countries who generate the most income.

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

That's the point I've been making for a while now @Sarah977 . The relief fund is severely flawed, and it's that obvious that Airbnb are protecting hosts that make them the most money I find it insulting. 

The most economically valuable for Airbnb will be their highest earners, but that is not their only criteria in this case.

The program unfortunately is a 'trap' for Airbnb regardless of its good intentions - it puts the selection of who gets the grants squarely on Airbnb's shoulders and no matter what they do, it will be criticize by those not selected (~95%?). They should have added the $10m to the general fund and not create a 'separate lottery'.