Strict cancellation and yet Airbnb refunds gusts in full

Natalie41
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Strict cancellation and yet Airbnb refunds gusts in full

I've had this happen many times where guests will book with my strict policy and then cancel. Many reasons are acceptable and the guests sometimes ask and I will agree to a full refund. However, this guest was to arrive in 12 days and I had others who were interested in these dates, but booked elsewhere because mine was taken. I just got a message from Airbnb saying the reservation was cancelled and based on my cancellation policy, he had a full refund. I have a strict policy so I am supposed to be receiving partial payment (based on everything I read). He never even contacted me directly either. 

Any ideas?

3 Replies 3
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Natalie41

This is a bit odd if the guest was not claiming extenuating circumstances.

Was your guest from South Korea by any chance as there is a different cancellation policy then, even if you have selected the Strict one? Even then, I think you would have been entitled to a partial refund if the guest cancelled only days before.

Or, did you have a Moderate policy before and then change it to Strict? If so, and the guest booked before you changed policies, the one that was in place at the time of booking would apply.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Oh, and the other thing is if you, like me, have Strict with the Grace Period, and the guest cancelled within 48 hours of booking. They would then qualify for a full refund.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If none of the above apply, I would call Airbnb and ask them to explain.