Strict cancellation policy and guest wants refund one week from check-in date

Strict cancellation policy and guest wants refund one week from check-in date

Hey everyone,

I did search the forum but didn't find the exact advice I need: I have a guest that booked my home at the beginning of April but messaged me tonight saying the party has to cancel their biking trip because the weather forecast shows rain for the next week. They want to know if it is too late for a refund which...yes, I mean, my cancellation policy is strict and it is about $450 I will be missing out on and not sure anyone will book those dates within the next week. I do understand their predicament but I just am not sure how to proceed...if I cancel their reservation doesn't that knock my status as a Superhost? What would you do in this situation? Thank you!

10 Replies 10
Corliss2
Level 9
Calgary, Canada

@Berit16 ,

Whatever you do, DO NOT CANCEL.  AND, if you get a message stating that the guest requests that you cancel, do not accept. You will be severly punished by the powers that be.

If the guest wants to cancel, do nothing and let them sort it out for themselves. Stick to your cancellation policy and do not offer a full refund.

Hope this is helpful.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Do not cancel the reservation.  Yes, if you cancel it will count against you as the host.    Guest knew your cancellation policy when he booked your place.  You have no control over the weather.  If you choose to refund part of the money to him, that is your choice.  DO NOT CANCEL as the host.

@Corliss2  @Linda-And-Richard0  Thank you for your advice! I won't cancel it. So would you just not respond to their request? Just let it sit and let them take action later? I am reluctant to start a dispute over text messaging about this.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Do not reply to cancel request, let guest cancel on their end.  You are not the one that wants to cancel reservation, they are.

Yep - I have a repeat customer that comes to town to visit her grandchild. I love her and when there's a weather problem, I ask her to cancel (so it's not on me), then I call Airbnb to refund 100% of her money.

But in this case - these are not repeat customers.  They knew the policy when they booked and they haven't stayed with you before. So that's how life works. They needed trip insurance. Airbnb should offer it

You could decline but say if you have space in the future, you could offer them a discount for staying. But I would not refund the money if it's already factored into your budget.

@Berit16 

Don't cancel and make sure you keep all communication on the Airbnb messenger.

If it were me, I'd say tell the guest whether they cancel or not is completely up to them but the cancellation policy will stand as agreed on when the guest made the booking. This would be the same whether they have a reservation with a hotel, Airbnb or airline - rules are rules. And just to make sure they completely understand, I'd reiterate that as a host "I (you)" have no intention of cancelling the booking. If the guest needs to cancel, then it is THEIR responsibility to cancel.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Ask the guest to cancel, this will open up the calendar and explain to them if you receive another booking, you will refund them. You are not responsible for the weather and if it was so crucial to them they should have  taken out insurance,  not expect you to loose out.  

Ricardo741
Level 6
Kingston, Jamaica

I am not certain how it workk after a guests checked in,. I recommend that  you change the reservation instead of cancelling. Changing the reservation will compensate your guest for the days not spent. You can even adjust your price mannually. 

I had to respond to this advice just in case someone takes it and ends up in an even worse situation. 

Unless you do not care about the specific protections in your cancellation policy, do not agree to change or revise a reservation either.

It is now well known in the Airbnb community that requests to change the dates on an existing reservation in leu of cancellation, cancels out the previous dates and point in the reservation that is subject to the cancellation policy. (This is a loophole & can be a trap for hosts)

In other words, guests have asked to change the dates - host agrees - then right after the guests cancel the entire reservation - and beat the cancellation policy. Why? Because Airbnb will give a full refund within 48 hours of a new reservation. The change date request (when approved by host) is treated like a brand new reservation. Be aware of this....