Super Guest idea

Adam326
Level 4
Ballarat, Australia

Super Guest idea

Super Hosts need to get above 80% five star reviews (among other criteria) to achieve Super Host.

What about we have a Super Guest concept too?

If a guest averages above 80% five star reviews they are a Super Guest and they get access to instant booking. If they are not a Super Guest, then they can't use instant booking but rather have to request a booking.

This would take away some of the risk of having Instant Booking turned on because you know only good quality guests can use it.

It would also make guests try a lot harder to be tidier and better guests. 

23 Replies 23

@Christine1

To some extent what you say is not wrong. Yes... this business model does not work without all THREE parties but when it comes to accomodations, except of special situations it is usually a buyers market. At the beginning as a new startup ABB would have needed a dependable host base to launch...... but in the long run they need more buyers than sellers. With enough buyers, this will be incentive to attract the new sellers. Also, just look at the difference in guest service fees vs. host service fees. Even though guests pay a higher percentage of fees, in total, they usually pay less than a hotel. Hotels have economies of scale where as most traditional hosts have a couple rooms at best. IF things go as planned like in a perfect world, then yes it is profitable for hosts and ABB and guests alike. (win, win, win all around)..... only until it's not. When the unexpected occurs 9 out of 10 times it's the host that is out of pocket or ends up with a damaged home (with meager if any compensation), not able to host, and an empty room, and bad review. The founders may have started with a passion for homesharing but in the end they are in it to make money. This is a business for them and for hosts equally. I totally agree that ALL parties need to be held accountable and responsible for their actions and decisions - ABB, hosts and guests alike and equally. The problem right now is that ABB and guests are not always held acountable or responsible for their actions and decisions, and the burden is passed on the the host because when we signed up as hosts we all agreed to the terms that ABB will have final say in all decisions, and there is more than enough examples showing that ABB doesn't follow their own rules when determining "responsibility (= who pays)"

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

hehe , great idea @Adam326

Shannon-And-Allan0
Level 2
Pemberton, Canada

@Adam326 I think this is a fantastic idea!  We often struggle with using instant book because of exactly what you said - You never know who you're going to get and sometimes it goes wrong and leads to damaged property. I would feel so much more comfortable if instant book was only available for those who had earned that level of trust from previous bookings. Hopefully Airbnb will take this into consideration!

@Shannon-And-Allan0 

Hosts can use their tools to set parameters for potential instant book guests. 

So, if you only want fully verified Gov ID guests who have received good ratings from their previous stays, then you can select those options. 

As for public ratings on guests, that's never going to fly. There are too many reasons why this won't be helpful in the long run. The published review system is as effective when used in conjunction with due diligence by hosts prior to accepting all bookings.  

Hosts who are looking for more surety with guests can gain a lot from reading the Airbnb FAQS, and systematically exploring the potential within hosting tools. They are a lot more flexible than many realise. 

Manage your bookings before the guest completes their reservation . Never be afraid to have a pre-booking conversation, ask your own questions too and assess the response. Reply with information and guidance so that your guets choose accomodation that suits. It may not be yours. If thats the case help them to realise before they book. 

Repeat information from your site. Use cut and paste. 

Advise guests if you don't think your place will suit them or yourself. Be prepared to educate your guests and exercise lots of diplomacy.

Safety 1st: $2nd

Best regards. Christine 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I really like the idea of a "Super Guest" status, especially with privileges:

IB privilege.

Airbnb service fee discount privilege.

Host discount privilege.

This is the power of the review system - to reward the high quality people.

Super guests make hosts' job easier and cheaper and superguests should be rewarded.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I had the same idea, but for a different reason: A  Super Guest would be a guest who has done all of the verifications and has at least three five star reviews, and no three-star reviews, and  an unblemished record as a guest from all their stays. If I got a booking request from such a 'super guest', including instant book, I wouldn't have to look so deeply into their profile and history, and could more easily commit to the reservation. I do not think Airbnb will ever give up the instant book feature and make it just for certain guests. This is because they are moving us hosts more and more toward a hotel model, and away from the traditional Spirit of Airbnb. But I do like your idea for the reasons I say!

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Adam326 Definitely a brilliant idea! If this will come true i am sure all guests will become more careful towards the hosts properties.I wish Airbnb could allow hosts the rate guests on how economical they were during their stay.

Great idea 💡 mate, we prefer to vet guests before they create problems for us and have found instant book too dangerous. Like 8 guests in a 6 guest property. Yet instant book allows for single nights in a peak period.

Do super hosts make good co-hosts? Not if the superhost has more than 6 listings.

Byron54
Level 10
La Ceiba, Honduras

Its 2022, and yet, Airbnb has done nothing about this, i've seen a lot of posts from 2018 like this one, and as hosts, we are still vulnerable to our guests reviews and behaviour. Superguest would motivate guests to have a better conduct to keep or reach their status, as we do.