Superhost

Deborah56
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Superhost

I have been an Airbnb host since November 2011. Since then I have had a guest in my home 95% of the time. Yes, about 1800 days in the past 6 years. Most of my guests stay 1-3 months. They come from all over the world and are here for many different reasons. The SuperHost requirements state that a host must have 10 Trips to qualify. That is not possible when people stay as long as my guests do. I met and exceed all the other requirements. I have spoken to Airbnb staff about this but they just repeat the rules. The way I see it, one host can have a total of 10 guests stay 1 night for a total of 10  nights in a year and qualify for SH but another host who has longer stays of more than a month can never be SH even though they have a guest for many many more days. Does that sound fair? Any comments?

Thank you,

Debbie

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Deborah56 ,

Airbnb is not specific a platform for long term stay (reservations more then 28 days). So the rules are mainly setup for the majority of host, whith reservations for short(er) periods. It's also more difficult to manage the superhost statistics, as also the lenght of stay has to be measured related to the amount of reservations.

But the way you describe it shows that it is indeed unfair, as you simply don't have the opportunity to become a SuperHost. I personally don't bother about this "Superhost" status, if would even suggest to Airbnb to present an option to decline or accept it, when it's granted !  

Best regards, Emiel

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Deborah56 I agree with @Emiel1. don't worry about the superhost thing. It doesn't seem to affect how many bookings I get. Good worded reviews count more for future guests. The whole review and Superhost 'certification' is flawed. I have seen situations where a guest who ovbiously returns on a weekly basis leaves a review each time. I cannot see that the guest really wanted to leave a review each time (and from their comments that is quite obvious), but I would imagine the host has asked them to do so for the whole superhost certification. So it becomes meaningless.

I would also say that it can be easier to get a 5 * rating off one long term guest than it is to keep 10 short term guests happy!. No system is fair. Focus on getting good reviews rather than worrying about the stars!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

If I was Airbnb I would give you Superhost Plus for being with them that long and making them that much money with 'Long Term Rentals' to boot, which require so much less accounting maintenance on their part.

Heri0
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Hi Deborah! Do not worry about " superhost badge" ! I have surveyed dozens of guests throughout the years and one of the question has been: "what made you to choose us" and not a single guest has mentioned the super host status. Actually, most of them didn't even know what that was. Keep focused on positive reviews and 5-star--that's the key of the game!

Never encountered a guest that had a clue what it meant either. Reviews however, they seem to go over them with a fine-tooth comb, and they reffer to particular ones and what they had to say.

@Deborah56, if you ask other hosts to choose which they preferred:

1. To be called SuperHost
  2. To have 95% occupancy

I think the vast majority would choose the 95% occupancy.

It sucks that you can't get the SuperHost badge, but you have what is important: a terrific listing that guests love.