Sustainability: energy saving products in the home?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sustainability: energy saving products in the home?

Sustainability.jpg

Hello everyone,

I have noticed we have quite a lot of hosts here in the CC who are interested in eco related topics, especially when it comes to your home. I'm a bit of a fan too! I’ve been following the news, and there has been a lot about the developments in electric cars and most recently the development with solar powered roof tiles.

I like this concept and so I wondered what you think the future of the energy saving/generating energy products in the home, any ideas on what you think could be next? Is this something that you would like to embrace in your home or do already?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

70 Replies 70

@Angela1172   As far as I'm aware, small appliances which heat up really hot, really quickly, are the biggest energy sucks- Toasters, hot plates, toaster ovens, hair dryers, irons. It's not the voltage that's important, it's the KWHs the appliance uses.

Thanks and can that system work in big cities where we depend on power/energy etc,?

Hi

At our place water came by trucks (Cistern) We have 4 Bio-digestors, so we re-use "all " the water... We give that water to the plants...Our plants are very beautiful and healthy and we save a lot of money by re-using the water 😉

During rain season we collect water from the roofs also.

Maria Eugenia

La Playa

Susanna78
Level 2
Ngatangiia District, CK

Hi Lizzie, and hi all airbnb hosts,

We call ourselves an Eco-friendly accommodation even if we still are waiting to install solar energy -it's about money. 

But the house is made of Spanish Red Cedar timber, a beautiful wood that makes home. The wood comes from the trees my husband had at his organic farm. We cut them, mill them... and treated with java oil and wax. The result is a beautiful characteristic smell and a healthy breath. We avoided toxic varnish and toxic treated wood in the house.

We use natural soap and eco-friendly cleaning products.

Our septic tank treats the dirty waters to convert them in garden waters, but still, we made a special designed big spool of stones to recycle even more the "recycled" garden water feeding a little plantation of bananas (bananas have the property to convert naturally dirty waters into valuable nutrients. In that way the garden doesn't smell bad (we have an organic garden of fruit trees and herbs at the front of the property for guests also) and no drop goes to the amazing environment where the house is located: ocean on the left, little island and channel in the front, the turquoise lagoon and the mountains on the right.

Our lights have been replaced by LED to save energy in this little island of Rarotonga.

The batteries needed (in the torch for the beach, etc.) are rechargeable.

Guests have no washing machine. I do their laundry in my apartment; that is the way to always fill up the washing mashine (otherwise, they do a full wash for only some clothes and spend too much electricity, water and soap). Guest will give me a whole bag of dirty clothes to wash, that is right.

Our swimming pool is treated with salt only. No clorine.

All our gardens are treated and feed organically.

No little bottles of xampu, hand cream or whatever. They bring their own and we save in unsustainable left overs.

There is a drinkeable water filter in the kitchen, no need to buy water. 

Of course, there are small bins to recycle glass, plastic, aluminium at home, but also in the garden there are big bins to empty the small ones. Recycling food is also welcome, it goes back to the garden after being composted or burnt.

Change of towels when guests ask or for stays longer than 5 nights.

Cleaning clothes available at home for guests and also used to clean the house, instead of one-use cleaning clothe.

I am probably forgetting something...

Sorry if this is a long post    🙂

Ka kite,

Susanna

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Susanna78 

Don't be sorry for the long post, I read every letter and also checked out your listing. I can absolutely see why you've been awarded those accolades - well done to you and your family for being so green! Incidently, I remember learning about Captain Cook growing up - what do you feel about the proposed name change to Cook Islands?

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Susanna78
Level 2
Ngatangiia District, CK

🙂

Thank you, Stephanie.

The first europeans arriving to some of the north Cook Islands were Spanish, but they didn't situated the islands in a map. It was Captain Cook who included then in his map and after that people named this islands with his name just because he put them in a map. So, in fact, the Pa Enua o group of islands doesn't have a name for all of them together as a nation. In the other hand, New Zealand has sit the base for the Cook Islanders to want to name their islands with a Maori name. New Zealand's Maoris wanted to name their country in their language, so now the world says New Zealand-Aotearoa. But Aotearoa was the Maori name before the colonization. Although, there never had exist a Maori name for the Cook Islands, that is why they are now looking for one... to be said next to Cook Islands, just following NZ's solution.

Hi, This is very interesting and tricky discussion. Some times the things which introduced as eco will do more damages for countries like Sri Lanka and it gives more options top earn more for those suppliers and finally we do not get the true advantage. I too studying the concept of smart home and those energy management devices. Of course some of the main outside lights with the ability to mange through WIFI gives some solution to use electricity efficiently. 

If any one of you have more details on smart homes and its applicability for energy savings?

Looking to get more details.

Best Regards Samantha

Colombo is one of the 17 wetland cities in the World
Teresa824
Level 1
Cancún, Mexico

My property is in Cancún and off course the temperature is very warm most of the year. I am very interested in energy savings. My property is getting very high energy and power bills and eventhough I reach out about this topic to my guests I still have no positive outcome. 

Many ideas would be very welcome. Thank you

Hi, I can suggest few ideas;

1. You better fix smart plug for AC machines and Smart switch for the property. With this technology you can manage the use of electricity with a schedule or can minimize or avoid the waste of energy.

2. You can fix solar power generation for the property. For this you need to study your country regulations

3. There are water coolers (fac with give some moisture content to cool the environment). That also will be a solution to reduce the warm and then energy consumption will be less.

If you share more details then I can suggest more options.

Colombo is one of the 17 wetland cities in the World
Alicia806
Level 2
Dundee, United Kingdom

As I am an eco interior designer I would suggest;

1. Energy efficiency (retrofitting insulation, reviewing your energy supplier, adding curtains and blinds to reduce heat loss from windows), providing energy-efficient appliances and LED lights.

2. Waste reductions- looking at bin placement to encourage eco behaviours, greywater harvesting, upcycling glass bottles for soaps + cleaning products etc. 

3. Space planning, location of radiators away from windows and doors, making the most of solar energy and creating a layout the makes the most of natural light.  

4. If people are looking to renovate looking for second hand or sustainability sourced materials and furniture.

Just a few ideas have many more 🙂 

Zsolt32
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

Ciao,

I think lighting cannot be a big problem with LED lights, but heating-cooling can be really an issue; I experience that some guests are setting the cooling for 18C, while it is 36C outside. This is utterly stupid, unhealthy, and wasting energy. There was a guest who was cooling for 18C whole day, but started heating at night, than continiues cooling from the morning again, when he probably left the apartment. This is crazy practice, and we cant tolerate this while having energy crisys and global warming.

I believe AirBNB should set and announce acceptable range for internal temperature, and guest out of this range should be charged with additional energy fees. 

Me personally I make 21C in the winter in my home, and in the simmer I cool for 26C. But we are hosts and I understand that we should provide comfortable environment for everyone. However, there must be limits. I would propose cooling not lower than 22C, and heating not higher than 25C.

What do U think?