Ten years hosting. This maybe my best guest ever!

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Ten years hosting. This maybe my best guest ever!

We charge for a second guest. Also have strict no visitors/no extra people can sneak in policy in ‘house rules.’

This guy books - but pays for 2. He offers this explanation:

‘So far I am confirming myself for the stay but willing to account for a 2nd guest just in case I have someone with me by night's end. Looking forward to the stay. Thanks.’

Love his honesty. He hopes to hook-up & is transparent about his objectives. I’m totally fine with this. Adults going about their business is fine with me. Especially after dozens of men and women have booked for one, yet snuck back in with a ‘friend’. Yep, and we have to deal with the “bedding” at check out!  😱

14 Replies 14
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@David6 - Too much information all round!!! - But I can see his openness & willingness not to diddle you must have been a heartening encouragement! 🙂

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen350 

i’ve Hosted way over 2000 guests. I don’t get upset over an unwashed coffee cup. Ive had my place trashed - £12k damage.

I’ve also hosted dozens of ‘single’ guests who invited ‘visitors’ back. We are all adults. I’m not squeamish about sex. It’s time many hosts got over it! 

Helen350
Level 10

@David6 'Twas a JOKE, a whimsical remark! (That's the trouble with the written word, you can't evaluate tone....)

That would only be an issue in a single room place. I have a three bed house and we do not attract overnighters who are only in town for a hook up.Most of our guests travel from out of town for an event.I have no interest in  other peoples private affairs and I can count.The ones who often cannot count are those who book for groups of workers. sometimes you will get four when they have only booked for three people. I make it clear that bookings include the person booking and at an additional 15 bucks only why cheat?My business is airbnb  not doss house. 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@David6  As much as I try to "not" think about what goes on in my room, yeah, I'm rooting for this guy to get lucky!!! Totally applaud his honesty! LOL!

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Absolutely! Haha @Suzanne302 

I just smiled at his  honesty. Made a refreshing change - we see  post after post on here  -  about extra guests ‘sneaking’ in! 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@David6, nice one. Love his honesty and maturity. I think we're all hoping he gets lucky now!

We have a twin room.

We charge for a second guest. It's just really to cover for a bit of extra breakfast and extra laundry/towels etc, making it affordable for a single traveller too.

We had a single occupancy guest last week determined to get his money's worth, it appears he slept in *BOTH* beds.

But to balance this out we have had couples in the twin bedded room who appear to have just used one bed.  

We also had two chaps stay recently, who seemed not to have used either bed. Arriving in the afternoon, going out in the evening, returning at 5am the next day, taking breakfast and moving on.  We thought they had came to bury a body on the moors lol, but turned out they made a living from their youtube channel exploring ancient stone circles and spooky places at night with night vision cameras, with over a million subscribers. Seems they just wanted somewhere to leave their gear and recharge all their cameras etc.

They also spent plenty of  time outside in their car smoking weed. 

We have an outside smoking area. They could have shared.....

🤣

Helen350
Level 10

@Kevin1322 I hate it when guests stay out all night (happened to me twice in over 300 stays.- One music festival, & one got-lucky-&-shacked-up-in-a-tent. As I later found out.)  I worry about them, & can't settle.... I like to know everyone is tucked up safe before I go to bed! - This being not London, but out in the wilds twixt coast & moorland, like you, Kevin! (Call me an old fusspot!)

@Helen350  I've had a few guests worry me like that, too. It's a 20 minute walk to town from my place and although most of my guests aren't partiers and come home at a reasonable hour, some stay out later. They can take a taxi, but most of them choose to walk. I now ask my guests for emergency contact info- if a guest were to have a serious accident or go completely AWOL, I should think someone close to them would want to know ASAP. I asked one of my guests if Airbnb asks them for emergency contact numbers, and she said she couldn't remember, but checked and said there was a place to fill that out, but she hadn't done it, and I suspect many guests don't. So calling Airbnb would be useless, as they wouldn't know how to contact the family, either.

It would also be a relief if a guest just didn't come home for a couple days and I called a number they'd given me, if the person said "Oh, he does this kind of thing all the time. Drives everyone crazy. Don't worry- he'll eventually show up."

I now ask my single female guests to shoot me a text when they are heading back here from town, so I know to have some concern if they don't appear within about 20-30 minutes, or not be concerned if they don't come home til late. They're all appreciative of the extra security.

@Helen350We also over-worry about guests coming a cropper walking on the cliff path (hiking route) when it starts to get dark and we haven't heard from them.

Some parts of the south west coast path are not for the faint hearted in the winter.

The sections before and after our village are quite a hard and long slog even for experienced hikers, and we notice that everyone arrives at least two hours later than they plan. 

Usually they have plenty of common sense and get off the path to the nearest village and get a bus before dark, but they don't tell you. 

Helen350
Level 10

@Kevin1322 I have wonderful memories of the South West, having done two degrees at Exeter University! And I remember a sea kayak camp at Crackington Haven in 1985... Kayaking round Tintagel... Wow! - I think I'd rather live in Devon or Cornwall than Cumbria...

@Kevin1322  Geez, you make them breakfast and they don't even offer you a toke? Whatever happened to basic manners?

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@David6 yes Tinder mania i guess