The Empty Fridge Scenario

Kate640
Level 3
Ardersier, United Kingdom

The Empty Fridge Scenario

Hi folks

I offer a private room, shower-room next door and breakfast goods, to which guests help themselves. I list the breakfast goods multiple times throughout my listing. On their arrival I greet and show guests around. This includes the kitchen where I highlight the location of breakfast goods (yet another opportunity to make it clear!). 

My issue is that on more and more occasions now, guests are helping themselves to my food. 

This morning I discover that packs of ham, prosciutto, and expensive cheeses have been opened and the prosciutto and ham finished off completely!  I’ve had worse, where all eggs, bacon, cheese, mushrooms, etc have been used up. 

I have no wish to put locks or signs all over my small house, or to confront guests who are otherwise very pleasant. I’m very aware that people are on a holiday which is important to them. There are always other things which show that guests are not reading the listing, including house rules, but this one is really getting on my nerves. I’m considering a cheery leaflet in the room ‘Enjoy your Breakfast’ listing what is available in the kitchen. Any other ideas?

Kate

40 Replies 40
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Kate640 What about only offering things that don't need to be refrigerated, like cereal bars, baked goods and instant oatmeal? Then there cannot be a misunderstanding about what stuff in the fridge was intended for guest consumption and what wasn't.

I also think it's fine not to offer any food. In an Airbnb, it's not something I expect as a guest.

Kate640
Level 3

Thanks Alexandra, I’ll certainly consider those ideas. I am miles away from any cafes so I like to offer something 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Kate640  (& @Alexandra316 ) I think it's a British thing to offer breakfast, harking back to traditional British B&B. - That's why I offer breakfast - but only continental, cereal, bread/toast, fruit, (cheapest, 'value') yoghurt, tea, coffee.

@Helen350I'm English, and traditional British bed and breakfast summons up thoughts of Skegness…. strictly one egg and one rasher of bacon per person!

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Alexandra316 True! i DID say I offered continental breakfast! (Tho' what is more British than cereal?!)

@Helen350 True! Now you have me thinking of Jordan's cereal with proper British milk! Darn it!

@Kate640   It sounds like you'd rather keep the kitchen as a non-guest space and not have people going through your personal food supply. So what I'd suggest is to move the entire breakfast set-up into the designated dining area. A compact electric kettle or coffee machine specifically for guest use, on a heat/waterproof tray stocked with cups, coffee/tea, sugar, and UHT milk, as you might find in a hotel room. Some fruits that you can restock at any hour rather than leave in the fridge. Some non-perishable supplies such as juice boxes, granola bars, instant porridge, miniature salamis, or packaged pastries (imagine guests are packing for a hiking trip). It's not the most homey or gourmet option, but it spares you from having to prepare breakfast in the morning, and allows your guests to have something to get their day started without having to use your kitchen.

But if your location happens to be near an affordable cafe, perhaps breakfast doesn't add enough value to be worth the hassle. 

Kate640
Level 3

Thanks Andrew, sadly the village is too small for a cafe. I have no issue with people being in the kitchen space, and I really do think I make it very clear as to what I provide. I’m not always around so don’t take on the role of preparing breakfast, however for the most part guests enjoy what is on offer and take no more (but when they do it tends to be significant!) I have very little space to work with but I shall consider your suggestions 🙂

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Kate640 I find that people often SAY they read, understood and agreed to the House Rules but I DEFINITELY know that they did not. (* if you read them, you'll know why I know)

One issue that I was having a good bit of trouble with in my listing was the "extra guests" problem. My listing said NO extra people allowed. But then they would say "oh, but they aren't spending the night. we're just going to have some dinner and chat." As if somehow that didn't make them people or extra.

So, now I have a funny FAQ sheet that lists out what does and doesn't count as "extra people". It's done a much better job bc it lists out the nonsense excuses and then says "yeah, that's still an extra person".

Yours would be something like "I've left you some cereals and toast, please enjoy but no matter how hungry you get don't go in the kitchen and eat my ham. That would make me very sad. If you really need ham, I recommend the shop on xxxx street, they have the best ham." or whatever... humor and pointing out that they surely aren't ham stealers might be enough to overcome their bellies.

But honestly, people have so much variety in what they prefer to eat!! I have stopped offering any snacks at all. I was sick of it going to waste! Rather than going to a whole bunch of trouble to say "you can eat this, but not that. And you can do this in the kitchen but not that." i'd bag the whole thing and just make your listing SUPER clear. The town doesn't have a cafe, the market is only open in these hours, you don't provide snacks and the guest MUST pack accordingly. Remind them before they come and then help them help themselves. They can do it!

@Kelly149 

How does your FAQ "extra people" sheet run out?

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 do you mean how do I get it to guests??

I email several things to guests post-booking:

- a rental contract: this includes info on all guests, vehicles, timing, etc. reiterates all rules and expectations and the FAQ (they have to complete, sign and email back)

- our "Welcome Book": this has a safety page (nearest ER, clinic, Rx), electronics cheat sheet, checkout lists, our favorite places by category, etc

@Kelly149 It was more the funny FAQ sheet I was interested in if you have more info on that?

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 yep, it goes via email: - a rental contract: this includes info on all guests, vehicles, timing, etc. reiterates all rules and expectations and the FAQ (they have to complete, sign and email back)

Or do you mean you want to see what it says?

TLDR: And formatting is better in my doc...

GUESTS OF GUEST POLICY CLARIFICATION:

From the rental contract: Reservation specified a particular number of guests. No guests beyond those listed and counted within the Reservation are permitted on the property at any time. This applies to day visitors or overnight visitors. All guests to the property should be within the parameters of the reservation. Parties/Gatherings may be allowed with prior arrangement with Owner. Additional Fees will be incurred. Guest is responsible for the property and the behavior of all other guests for the duration of the rental period. Exceeding agreed upon guest numbers is cause for cancellation and removal.

Guest FAQ

“My friends/cousin/employees are going to come meet me at the barn and hang out for awhile before dinner.”

- Great, the barn is super for this, however, first you need to arrange an adjustment to your reservation with Owner regarding guests (Who: name, age, address. When: planned arrival/departure timing. What: additional vehicles), then you will also need to accept the additional guest fees as an adjustment to your reservation. Fees based on guest parameters, inquire for a quote.

“Oh, but, they aren’t going to spend the night, we’re just going to hang out at the barn for awhile.”

- Understood. However, the additional guest registration is required for any guest who will enter the building/be on property.

“Man, that’s kind of fussy, don’t you think?”
- Accurate guest registration is required for insurance purposes and it is

important to us to know who we are sharing our home with. Also, the security company is aware of what people/vehicles are expected, for your protection and ours they need to have accurate information. The false alarm fee for a call-out on additional guests is $125.

“I don’t want to pay a guest fee to hang out with my friends.”
- No problem. Austin is full of great restaurants, bars & parks, we’re happy

to provide recommendations.

“Uber is going to pick me up” “I’m having pizza delivered”

- Pickups/deliveries do not require notice.

“I met somebody cool out tonight, I’d like to bring them back to the barn.”

- No strangers, No hookups, No. This truly is what hotels are for.

Guest Signature: Date:

@Kelly149 

Thanks for that, it was exactly what I was wanting to see. It's good sensible information and needed, but like having to enforce cooking restrictions and pantry security - I'm sure you would agree - it should all be unnecessary. Perhaps if the booking deposit was held by the host, things might be a lot different?

Sending your rental contract in addition to having Airbnb Terms and House Rules says a lot, and reflects many host's concerns I think.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0   Well hosting certainly shows you that the world takes all kinds. 

For example, I’m a little wordy, and fussy, and too detailed for some people. 

There are those who enjoy a good yarn and want to be entertained regardless of any messiness that comes along with the tale. 

Some just want the cheapest thing around. 

Some want champagne on a beer budget and they’re willing to eat a host’s ham to stretch a buck. 

My listing tries to dissuade those who won’t enjoy our style or at a minimum “train” those who wouldn’t naturally gel with us but are willing to try for the sake of the space. 

And to your point, yes, on Vrbo where I have control over a true deposit there is much much much less nonsense.

Lately I find ABB to be like children on a playground: they think “freedom” means joy and ease but later realize that it’s the rules that keeps the game moving along.