The guest require full access in a threaten way

Sarah2143
Level 2
Runcorn, AU

The guest require full access in a threaten way

The guest extend for two weeks stay than one week.Then he said he want to stay till June without airbnb. (he said he had done it so many times). We are a bit hesitant. Today he suddenly exploded.

The problem is we have a screen door (no key) and a wooden door. Normally screen door was open. We locked it during dinner three times (wooden door open), afraid anyone can come in, So we locked the screen door. as I am at the living room anyway. I have never let him wait for more than 5 secs to open the door. He got the key for another entry at the back of the house, so we never thought it's a problem. 

However, the guest was really upset. He said our behaviour of not giving him all keys is in violation of Airbnb policy. We explained.But he is not satisfied, insisting we are not friendly. He said with so many good reviews, people will believe him.There is no serious argument.(we don't want to irritate him) But we feel extremely uncomfortable that he threatened us and implied a bad review. Do we have to give the guests all access even he can enter the house anyway? What should we do if he leaves bad review?

5 Replies 5
Sarah2143
Level 2
Runcorn, AU

When I was using Airbnb as guest, there are times hosts didn't even give me key at all.  I was worried about my stuff inside the room. But I understand the host may not want to risk their property. So I never complained. So when our guest asked full set of keys of my house, I was being extremely surprised. And he sounds like we are violating his rights was seriously shocking. (Especially he has enough key for him to get in.) I am begin to wondering why he want whole sets of keys? It's terrifying to think. I hope he can finish his term and leave soon!!

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I think the guest’s expectation for a full set of keys is misplaced, and if this is the whole story, he seems to be overreacting.  However, a very clear description of the entry location and lock and key situation should be explained in your listing description and in your house rules.  A misalignment of expectation and reality is often more upsetting to a guest than the rule itself. Where is this guest from?  There may be some sort of cultural sensitivity or perceived protocol breach at work here.

I’m sorry this is happening to you.  It’s always disappointing when we do our best to try to think of everything to please our guests, and then they become angered by some shortcoming that we could not have thought of in our wildest dreams.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

"He said our behaviour of not giving him all keys is in violation of Airbnb policy." And in the same breath, wants to extend his stay and pay you off the platform. That's hilarious.

From your telling of things, this guy sounds like a nutcracker that you need gone from your house asap. Has any of this communication re threats of retaliatory review and paying off platform taken place on the Airbnb message stream? Hopefully it has, so Airbnb can see it when you bring it to their attention. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sarah2143  I agree with @Colleen253. I'd be getting this guest out of my place ASAP. Contact Airbnb about his behavior and him trying to insist that you let him extend the stay off-platform.

Don't worry about the review right now. We hosts can't let fear of a bad review prevent us from dealing effectively with problematic guests. Savvy bad guests know that hosts are fearful of bad reviews and use that to their advantage to act in unacceptable ways. Try not to fall into that trap.

Dawn81
Level 9
Escondido, CA

@Sarah2143 The guest is being a jerk. He's a bully. You do not have to give him full access to your house. That's total BS! If he has a key and a specific entry for that key, that is the entrance he uses not the one through the other door that you lock the screen when your having dinner. His other demands are completely nutzo. You need to evict him from your Airbnb. Call Airbnb if you can get ahold of them directly and have them walk you through the process about how to evict a guest and that you cannot accept a guest using threatening language or behavior. 

Sorry, he's being so intimidating, but you need to stand up for yourself calmly and rationally. He's the one in violation. Not you get him out! Make sure you give him a review close to the 14-day aspiration. And make sure other hosts know about his antics. .