Table damaged by guest

Alana108
Level 1
Whangarei, NZ

Table damaged by guest

Hi

first time posting and in just under a year of hosting I have my first issue with a guest. I woke to a message from guest through Air B & B app on my phone who had left early with google screenshots of how to remove white steam stains on table. I thought this is odd and must have sent them by mistake. But soon realised as soon as I walked in the door why they had sent them. They have had something very hot directly on the table when I had coasters sitting on said table for this very thing to be prevented. I have tried one of her remedy’s and it’s helped but far from ever being the same! What do I do?

3 Replies 3
Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Buy a table cloth to cover it. I always have table cloths on my tables. A thicker tablecloth would have protected the table.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alana108  What cheek. The guest causes damage and doesn't offer to pay for a repair, but sends you info on what you could do about it? That's a new one. Seems that no one has any sense of shame anymore.

I might private message the guest to say that you have tried the solution they suggested and it didn't fully work, so if you have to call in a professional to deal with it, you may be sending them a bill. But if you can't manage to make it presentable by doing further research and repair yourself , and if it's not an expensive table, you might want to chalk it up to normal wear and tear since asking for damage payment will often cause a guest to leave a bad, retaliatory review. As @Maia29 pointed out, you could use a tablecloth if that goes okay with your decor, but then that's just one more thing to wash.

In any case, I hope you leave an honest reveiew for this guest to warn other hosts that the most responsibility she takes for damages is to suggest how the host might repair the damage.

@Sarah977  I hate to be a snitch. Accidents happen and I try to treat others how I would like to be treated. But I guess lately, this stance hasn't helped me at all.