Theft to Guest Vehichle

Lori256
Level 2
Austin, TX

Theft to Guest Vehichle

We're new to Airbnb and currently hosting our second guest.  They are booked for two nights and this morning (after their 1st night), they text notified us their vehichle had been broken into.  They didn't say if/what was stolen.  We live in an urban area with only street parking.  We've been in our new townhome for 3 months, and haven't experienced theft nor heard of problems from other neightbors.  Our townhome is an interior townhome, so they must park on the street to not block residents in the alley.  I feel certain this will reflect our rating and feel horrible this has happened to them.  We suggested they file a police report.  Are their any suggestions if we should be doing more?  Has this happened to anyone else in the community?

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

hello @Lori256 ,

What happened on public street is not your responsibility. The guests should file a police report. If anything is mentioned in the review simply comment on it whith what i said in first sentence.

Best regards, Emiel

Emiel,

I agree, it is a public street.  I'm concerned this will crush our ratings since it will be our second review if they do blame us.  Thank you for response.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I think this falls outside your responsibility. However, is your listing legal? (Can’t tell from looking at it) Will it be a problem for you with your complex or with the city when they call the police to report?

Kelly,

It is a public street and yes we're legal.

Lori 

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

Unfortunately things happen beyond your control and the guests blame you anyway.  Bad weather, traffic, they got a speeding ticket, the restaurant had a rude waiter, you name it, they sometimes take it out on your review.  

@Lori256 - There is little you can do to curb crime.  My guess is that the guests either had a rental car or an out-of-town plate with something valuable or stealable visible - things theives look for when choosing to break into a vehicle (they don't just bust windows randomly).   You can warn guests to lock their cars and take in all personal items to minimize the potential for a break in - especially now that there is a shifty in your area willing to break into your guest's cars.  

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Lori

Is This not a matter that should have been reported to your local police?

so the guests can then get a police report to send to their holiday insurance company, to make a claim for theft of goods from their vehicle?