Thoughtful details guests love

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thoughtful details guests love

Thoughtful details.jpg

Hello everyone,

One of the fun and unique aspects of Airbnb is that guests and hosts have a chance to meet each other while sharing their home. To make this stay even more memorable, some hosts like to prepare small, yet thoughtful extras.

There are some very inspiring conversations here in the Community Center, where many of you have shared the multitude of creative things you do to go above and beyond for your guests. Here are a few handy highlights:

It’s easy to think that extra touches have to be expensive, but it can be something simple which you can reuse time and again, such as a chalkboard with your guest’s name on it or even just thinking about those things your guest wouldn’t necessary pack, like here in the UK a handy umbrella can help to save the day! These little touches can really make your guest feel at home.

Does this sound familiar to you? Have you added anything to your home which you thought would make your guests feel more at home?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

30 Replies 30
Matthew296
Level 3
Manchester, United Kingdom

@Lizzie  I always leave a carafe of fresh water in my guests bedroom with sturdy drinking glasses so guests don't have to navigate at night in an unfamiliar house if they want a drink, it's so simple and costs nothing but its always appreciated. It also stops me being woken by a guest trying to get downstairs in the dark!

As the UK has a different electrical system to other countries I also keep a few power adaptors as guests often don't know to bring one and this way they can charge their phones/laptops. 

Oooo that’s going to help! I’ll do that too 😍

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Lizzie 

I love reading what you write because I can understand perfectly what you say. I do not have to make any effort to decipher slangs and complicated street language! 

I usually provide a simple welcome gift to the guests. Usually a little snack (wafer, chocolate, etc) and something to drink (that is not alcoholic).

Like Matthew said above, I also think it is important to provide modifiers to fit electricit outlet. It is not only UK that have diferent electrical connectors. I have modifiers ready to guests from many countries! 🙂

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

Please feel free to read my listing and guest reviews.  I do a lot, and my guests have been very appreciative: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/26127554

I will treasure my guest books and returning guests forever.

I just did. Well done. You have the same philosophy as us, and though we are still new to this, we look forward to the day where we can be at the level you are.

Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

Hello 🙂

I leave soap and body lotion in small pots (like travelling size) in the guest room with the towel. 

I also leave soap and body lotion at the toilet's sink for common use.

This way guests are happy and I can say "if you need to some more ask me, but don't take shampoo or soap from the shower since maybe it's from another guest" 😛 (as many people steal shampoo, body lotions, creams, perfum...)

I also have two small umbrellas that I offer when it rains.

A.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzie Power adaptor, shaver/toothbrush adaptor, a carafe  of water with a glass and a small bowl of chocolates (Cadbury's Roses).  I always take the chocolates with the hazelnut in them out of the mix and  eat them myself, just in case of allergies!

Because our place is billed as a "luxury" listing, we do quite a bit to make our guests feel welcome. We ask beforehand if the guests have any allergies, and if the adults drink tea, coffee and alcohol. So far, it has been "no" every time to question 1, and "yes" to questions 2 and 3.

We then leave coffee pods for the coffee machine and fresh coffee for the French press; a variety of tea bags; a bottle of Vinho Verde (Portuguese wine) for short stays, two bottles for longer stays; 1-2 bottles of spring water; a few small bottles of beer (depending on the number of guests and length of stay); juice boxes if they have kids; some toiletries (hand cream, mouthwash, toothbrushes and small tubes of toothpaste) in gift bags on the table; and small bags of biscuits/cookies and crisps/chips. 

So far, our guests have appreciated this a lot. Every single guest has immediately written to thank us for this after they have arrived. 

We know it is an expense, but as I said, we charge more than a lot of our neighbours specifically because we want our guests to feel pampered. And based on the responses, they  do seem to be feeling that way--and that makes us happy.

Our hosting experience has taught us a few things that we may want to change down the road. But so far, this isn't one of them. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Lizzie , I usually put in extras for everyone. That’s just how it is.... but I do price a bit higher allowing for this. We are generous with food and drinks left in the kitchen supplies either dry or refrigerated.  But depending on The length of stay and the group’s cohort, I might tailor some extras to your needs...

Eg: we had two international guests who wanted to use bicycles, but as they can be expensive to hire, Garry lent them two of his, with purchased full accessories and helmets. They couldn’t use his!  He even rode with them one day to show them a specific route.

As for other times, it might be taking that load of dry washing off the line and folding it, DVDs or kids books that are age appropriate etc, some almond milk instead of cows, some rosehip teabags-that is their favourite, previously mentioned in a message.  

Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

One of the main issues is to concret what is a "detail":

Details:

- Smile at guests

- A piece of chocolate/sweet

- Borrow umbrellas

- Glasses for guests at the room

Extra services:

- Breakfast

- Provice basic food/drinks

- Ticket reservation or plannifiying routes

- Drive to the airporte

- Cleaning during the stay

Etc....

Some of my guest review me that the breakfast is a nice " detail"... No, sorry, it's not a detail. It is a service included.

Not mixing "details" and "services" is needed for avoid abuse of hosts.

A.

Jessie230
Level 2
Florida, United States

@Ale113 @I’m just starting so I’m nervous of this. How can I be a super host without just giving a bunch of free time and free services? 😅

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

Beyond food and drink:

-q-tips

-sunscreen 

-umbrella / cheap rain ponchos

-package of baby wipes if they have a little one

-large flannel sleeping/pee pad for baby 

-if guests stay for 3+ nights and they have several kids, I offer to do a of their laundry for them at my house

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Lizzie @Cathie19 @Ale113 @Rich-and-Yan0 @Emily487 @Matthew296 @Rachel0 @Susan1028 @J-Renato0 

The most thoughtful detail, perhaps I should use part of my personality, that I use is a welcoming smile and where appropriate a hug to welcome Guests, and been friendly to ensure guests have an enjoyable stay

All the best

Central To All Home & Location

Auckland , New Zealand

@Lizzie… as someone who acknowledged a drinking problem some years ago, but who has spent a decade attempting to deal with it, I wouldn't like to be pushed right off the wagon with a bottle of unexpected free scotch.

Or maybe I would 😉  5 Stars all the way.

Mrs Kev was a chef, so is always messing about with biscuits/cookies etc, invariably this leads to freebie snacks and impromptu evening meals when guests (mostly hikers) arrive late. 

I think the sincerest  appreciation we have had from guests was for discreetly proving female sanitary hygene products, and an antibacterial hand-wash in the loo.

I think it is all about little incremental bits, where you under promise and over deliver.