Torn about leaving a not-so-great review, or not.

Torn about leaving a not-so-great review, or not.

Hi, I am new to renting on Airbnb, just had my 3rd lot of guests and my 1st lesson in why I need to be a bit more picky. had 6 guests who were all in there 20's had complaints on the first night about excessive noise. I did message the person who rented to say about the complaints but I never got a reply so I was a bit nervous to come home and see how the place was. I got home to find bits of pizza over my tables/chair, chewing gum stuck to tables, make up stain on the new carpet upstairs, big drink stain in the front room. Tv was left on, along with my speakers. on the table there was somthing that looked like drug paparaphernalia. nothing too serious and thankful my cat seems okay and nothing broken. the whole experience has been quite stressful. I messaged him to ask what the stains were and he did reply with one word answers, not appologising at all for the stains but did tell me what they were.  I have put in a request for £50 to pay for the stains to be cleaned.

So my question is, I'm worried to leave him a bad review as I'm worried that it would encourage him to leave me a negative review. there wouldnt be anything for him to complain about as I have gone out of my way to make everything as good as possible for him but worried he might just be malicious and leave me a bad review. has anyone ever had a similar problem with guests leaving bad reviews for the sake of it?

thanks

Jamie

3 Replies 3
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Reviews on Airbnb are double-blind. Meaning they can't see your review until they leave one of their own. (And vice versa) I encourage you to leave a brief, unemotional, factual review of their stay to warn other guests. 

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Jamie106,

As @Cynthia-and-Chris1 says, please, please leave a factual review briefly and unemotionally stating the problems.

I would also give the guest a thumbs down, not recommended.

That way they won't be allowed to book with hosts who have "instant book" and "recommendations from other guests" selected.

Steve.

yes you are both right, I should make sure they dont do the same to others and give them a bad review. just a shame you cant block people like this leaving bad reviews for no reason