guest not reading listing, and bookings stopping

Michael360
Level 2
Virginia, United States

guest not reading listing, and bookings stopping

I have tried everything that I can think of to get people to read the listing before they arrive. It is the first thing I message guest when they first contact me is to please read the listing. I even changed the initial description paragraph so that some important info would be right on top but still people don't read the listing. People won't even look at all the photos I have posted and I have pictures of each of the pets and guest still show up and are surprised to see pets. I cannot get guest to quite understand that they are renting a private room in my home, They expect my entire 3 floor home to be spotless but only renting a private room. The reviews where guest complain is mostly where they did not read the listing or they are complaining about my area of the home that they don't even have to come into.

It is bothering me because I have been steadily booked up for almost the entire time I've been doing the Airbnb except for like January and Februay and now all of a sudden it is like my listings got removed. I haven't even had an inquiry in a week and that has never happened since I started a year ago. What happened that it stopped so suddenly?

2 Replies 2
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I agree with you.  Due to many guests demanding a super clean kitchen and house, I merely am starting to not let guests use the kitchen. Sad really. I wish to provide a service. But there are bad apples who insist on telling everyone that my silverware drawer is messy. I hate the increased scrutiny. It makes my life easier tho to deny them access. 

My advice is stop allowing guests full access to you house (laundry , common areas and kitchen). That way they won't be bothered by your lifestyle not meeting their high expectations.

Not really sure you're not getting bookings. You have good reviews and a good price.

One confusing thing: Do you really allow 8 guests in one room?

I could understand how guests might unwittingly think you are renting the whole house

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Michael360

While I can't answer why your bookings have stopped, here's my idea of being even clearer:

How about changing your message to  state something like you will have read my description thoroughly (no two private accommodations are the same). So just to make sure - did you see that you will only get a spotless guest room and not my whole home that I live in? That I have pets present in my home? ....

I resorted doing that regarding all my 'weak' or easily overlooked points, and bam, the one I forgot gave me a 4 for Accuracy.