Tourist tax charges in Brittany

Paul56
Level 1
Saint-Ouen-la-Rouërie, France

Tourist tax charges in Brittany

Hi there,

AirBnB started collecting the local tourist tax for my department (35) in France last summer.

This has been a great help to me as it has taken a great deal of administration away.

However, yesterday I noticed that the tax is not being applied correctly at all.

In our department adults are classified as +18, children -18. The tax specifically only applies to adults at 50 centimes per night per adult for a gite.

The tax is being applied to ALL guests, irrspective of age.

As AirBnB ask guests to declare the make up of the group i.e. how many adults and how many children, why is it not possible to calculate the tourism tax correctly?

There is uncertainty about the blanket approach as this leads to overcharging, and missrepresentation. 

Not to mentio what happens to the tax overcharged and how it is spent.

I really think this should be looked at, and brought in line quickly.

It's a logarithm after all , should be possible to run a matrix in the background.

Or go back to not collecting?

Thanks

1 Reply 1
Elaine323
Level 1
Paule, France

I am in area 22 and air Bnb didnt seem to know if this new tax that came into force this January was applicable to our Bnb in a rural setting. I've tried looking at the French government website but this section is under maintenance and I can't find out if we are liable to pay this or if I need to charge my guests or even how much it is. I already have several bookings for this year and I will be paying this charge if I need to, out of my own pocket but I need to know fast so I can amend my page to add these charges on my air Bnb site. If you have any suggestions I would be grateful. Thank you.