Trying to understand the dreaded search Alogirithim - or - how do I get onto page one?

Thomas746
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

Trying to understand the dreaded search Alogirithim - or - how do I get onto page one?

Ok this is going to be a little long but I think those who read it will recognize the dilemma.  I put this post into a reply to another post about the pricing and position one gets in a Traveler's search.  How to get on the top of the list.  I thought I would share this with the whole community as I've spent a lot of time testing searches and talking to the folks at Airbnb - to no avail.  So I am putting out a kind of summary of four weeks of regular work on this issue.  I'm writing this as of May 2019. 

I did a number of Airbnb searches from a position of traveler coming to Airbnb for the first time who knows or doesn't know about Plus, Superhost etc.  So I would search no plus, no super host, basic amenities, thinking if someone is looking for something other than a hotel experience they would want a kitchen, wifi, TV, a/c, heating, a private bathroom, and a bedroom - this is a whole house I'm talking about - very very centrally located in LA - a total house for guests only.  I did this kind of search with and without dates.   I also did a deeper amenities search (Superhost, instant booking, price range, dates, almost all amenities - smoke detector, hair dryer etc).

I found my place (I am a Superhost with over a dozen reviews (all 5+),  came up only when I asked for specific days I had available - only those days.  Here's a second hit to that:  if I had a five-day block open and listed all five days in the search, I came up.  If I listed only three of those five days, I didn't.  I called Airbnb and got into a circle dance that of course lead nowhere.   I also changed the price up and down.  Down seems to have an effect but not as drastic as I was hoping - I'm talking going way down.  So I can't figure it out really.  And lastly, why is it I see other places popping up on page one, three, five and seven, when I don't show up on any of the 17 pages of 300 homes?   I see these folks are double listing their places with little tweaks here and there (price, length of stay etc) to make it seem like it's a different place.  (I can't imagine Airbnb can't figure out it is the same place and do something about it - in essence giving the same place a number of hits on a search).  One thing I think might be affecting getting on a search is the amount of positive reviews.  If you have a lot of great reviews it seems to help get you on the first page.  (if it's not a plus or superhost filtered search).  But not getting on at all unless you have a specific block of dates sandwiched between booked dates and it has to be all those days requested in the search to get your place a hit.  One day less, no hit.  Sorry to repeat but I see no rhyme or reason to the algorithm.  All comments, suggestions, and commiseration welcome.

Thomas 

34 Replies 34

Mike  Yes, I called Airbnb and they sent it upstairs.  I'm waiting on a call or email.  I will let everyone know how it turns out and thank you for trying to find me!  I wish it was easier!  

Thomas 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Of course we all need to make sure there isn't something like a map misplacement error that's affecting our search ranking, but let's face it, everyone wants to be on page one, but that's impossible. What Airbnb should be doing is moving placement up by 1 page every day, so it rotates and every listing is given the chance to be on page one at some point, not using some complex non-transparent algorithm.

Thomas746
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

@Sarah977 

Sounds like a good idea.  I'd also like to see Airbnb weed out duplicate listings of the same unit.   I can understand if you want to put it out to folks looking for long term rentals so you have a dupe listing where it's no less than 30 days, but other than that, research keeps saying one of the things looked at in the top five by Airbnb for search position is days, so anything more than one day available research says affects -  how much, I'm not certain.  

Thomas746
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

I meant to say I am right now looking for someone re: FB and Instagram. 

Thomas746
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

Called Airbnb today looking for what happened to the people it was being kicked to upstairs.  The guy it seems didn't kick anything upstairs at all and instead kicked it down the road.  The new agent tried telling me how many times my listing was on a search and I shot back that half of it was me or friends trying to find me and figure out what was going on.   So this guy finally said he was going to refer it up to Product support - I will wait and see if I get some support from Product.