[URGENT] Guest Cancelling Long Term Reservation

Thunyasiri0
Level 1
Bangkok, Thailand

[URGENT] Guest Cancelling Long Term Reservation

The guest booked my room for two months between Oct 29 - Dec 29, 2016. Then he cancled on Nov 1.

I recieved the a full payment of 1 month rent. I understand that according to the long term cancellation policy, the guest will need to pay for 30 days following the cancellation date. What I am very confused with is when the guest is supposed to check out and leave the apartment? Was he supposed to leave on Nov 1 or 30 days after (Dec 1)? Please kindly clarify this. Thank you all in advance.  

10 Replies 10
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

If the guest cancelled on Nov 1 - they should move out on Nov 1 and the penalty for the guest is that should they pay you for breaking the agreement - as per the long term cancellation policy - 30 days payment.

If the guest had intended to leave on earlier on Dec 1 then they should have simply made an amendment to the booking.It would be without a penalty as 30 days notice was given.

Dear Elena, 

Thank you for your kind clarification.

The guest is still staying at our apartment and it has been three weeks since the day he cancled (1 Nov).

He claimed that he has to stay for another 30 days. 

What would you do in this case? It seems that he has been over staying.

Thank you!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This isn't right. Call BNB now.

How do you call BNB. I need to speak with someone directly. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1st post Community Help has all contact details.

You will need to stress that it is an emergency!

Amanda156
Level 1
Scottsdale, AZ

I have a similar problem happening with me right now.
Had a guest book December 24 - Jan 2
I mention in my description that I have a cat and he says he's allergic so I decide, to try and work with him and I can take my cat to my family's house during his stay and I'll clean extra good and shampoo the carpets and everything. Pretty sweet deal for a room I'm renting out for 50 bucks a night with mini fridge and access to wifi, tv and all my amenities.

So he decides to book with us.
Mind you, he's arriving on Christmas Eve.
Not only am I stressed out of my mind working my job, Christmas shopping also making plans to visit my family and making time for my fiancée family but now I have to make sure my little apartment is dander free.
I made it happen.
He arrives, and him and his wife are nice but I had to leave for my family's Christmas Eve dinner, he's messaging me the whole time asking what channels I have on tv. I right him back.
It seems he has no allergy problems so I was happy about that.
Then this morning, which is Christmas morning. My fiancée and I are getting ready to leave again for round two of family stuff, then he says that his plans have changed and instead of staying the 9 nights he is going to stay for 4 and wants a refund for the nights he isn't staying...
I feel a bit frustrated but I said okay, I don't know how to do that through Airbnb.
So any advice on that would be great.

He also mentioned he assumed he would have the entire place to himself....
which I feel really confused about. It's in my description that I have a room I have listed, not my entire place.

My fiancée thinks we shouldn't give him a refund. But I also don't want to risk a bad review either.

I would not give a refund.  I had a nice lady cancel 2 days before her arrival and I did not refund.  Of course she didn't stay so there was no review. If I had re-rented it, I would have refunded. 

If he cancels, he needs to do it online.  Then airbnb gives you the option to refund or not.  

For me, I would not have booked him because it would be too stressful trying to get cat dander out.  You never know the level of someone's allergic response.  It can put someone in the hospital.  That being said, I divided my house completely so we don't share space.  My idea is to make money--and that has worked out very well--and enjoy myself.  If someone is too high maintenance, I won't do it.  But I'm old 🙂  and I've learned that the hard way.  If you say you have a cat, I don't know why he even tried to book with you.  He sounds like he's only thinking of himself (and the tv).  You can talk to airbnb and see if they'll remove the reviews.  My one mutual cancellation I did charge for the night she stayed but airbnb blocked the review process on both sides because they felt I was reasonable.  I lost the money for the rest of her stay but that's because neither she nor I wanted her to stay.  It was a bad fit.  I probably re-rented it anyway.  

If the guest breaks any rules or does not agree to your posted statements, airbnb will support you (in my experience).  In other words, if he says he's cancelling because he doesn't have the whole place to himself, then he is breaching the contract.  He is not giving notice and that is breaching contract.  All money goes through airbnb which is the reason for doing this!  You don't have to discuss the refund with him.  Tell him to call airbnb.  Some people do not read the description given--that is their problem, not yours.  I work hard to be extremely clear about shared and private space. Also when someone asks for too much--like you taking your cat elsewhere, that indicates he is a high maintenance person who does not consider others.  If a negative review comes out of this, you can repsond publicly and also rate him.  Bottom line, you went to extraordinary lengths to provide for him, and then he bails. Unacceptable.  Keep the money.  If you are able to re-rent you could refund through airbnb--but I wouldn't even tell him that or he will be bothering you about it.   

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree I wouldn't refund him. He has changed his mind.

Next time if you feel a booking is going to stress you, then don't take bookings during busy festive periods. Far better to enjoy the season and block out the days. I would never move an animal outside their home in their circumstances. The guest could have canclled if he made a mistake.

Just let them know they need to cancel through BNB who handle all correspondence.

Do make sure before you do this, you message BNB to confirm what haa happened and that the guest has said they he was expecting a whole house even though your listing is clearly stated as a room in your place.

If you like you can tell him if you get a booking to cover the period you will consider a partial refund.

Perfectly said Helen.