Unfair Review

Unfair Review

Hello all.
Am I an irrational idiot, or do I have a point. (Please feel free to say so if you think I'm the former).

I know it's a bit of a bugbear at times, but I'm curious as to what others think about this: To cut to the chase, here is the guest's revue (I got an unprecedented 3 stars.) 

"There was no lift, I was with my wife & 2 young kids. I just had a surgery the week before so can only use 1 hand to carry 2 big luggage up 2 floors on the narrow stairs. There is only 1 aircon in the living room, not in the bedroom, in order to get access to the aircon in the room, I need to open the bedroom doors. However, then the living room becomes freezing cold. The other problem is no wifi, but I managed to get a local data sims card & access to wifi. Other than the above, it was a pleasant stay."

1. It's one flight of stairs if you come in from Reception, and they would have been only too pleased to help him with his luggage.
2. If you need a lift to a first floor apartment, why not ascertain this when booking?
3. I just plain disagree about the air conditioner. There was only ever one other complaint a few years back which was made during a 40c heatwave, but it was only 18c at night when my guest stayed and he also had a ceiling fan.
4. I don't have WiFi on my listing, and in any case it can be got very cheaply from Reception. (It was a pain when I used to have it, and so I had it removed.)

And after an exchange of a number of messages to the Help Centre, here is my final one. (You can sense my frustration):

"No, I still don't understand exactly what you are saying.
Here is a "copy and paste" of part of your criteria for removal of a review:
"Reviews that contain no relevant information about a host or guest, listing, or experience, the review will be removed. Reviews that contain mostly irrelevant information are also subject to removal, but only where the otherwise relevant information would not be expected to meaningfully inform the booking decisions of other community members."
Can you please explain to me how some aspects of Patrick's review are relevant if
a) I don't have Wifi on my listing, and he criticises me for this. It just isn't a relevant comment - that has no relevance whatsoever. He misread the listing! I can't help him with his comprehension.
b) He had surgery on his hand and complained of struggling to get his bags up two flights of stairs. Again, this has no relevance at all, especially since in the check-in instructions it is clearly stated that: "If you have any problems during your stay, please contact me, or go to Reception and see Minu." The guest chose to do neither!
His comment is therefore irrelevant.
c) His comment about the apartment having no lift is clearly a criticism rather than an observation! No two floor walk-up apartments I know of have a lift! He could have checked this out at the time of booking had he particularly wanted a lift to get up to the first floor. So again, this comment has no relevance to his review!
d) Airbnb: "Reviews that contain mostly irrelevant information are also subject to removal, but only where the otherwise relevant information would not be expected to meaningfully inform the booking decisions of other community members." Patrick's review contains 9 words stating it was an "otherwise pleasant stay", and 100 words of irrelevant criticism!
e) No other guests have criticised the air conditioning, but I accept that this is a subjective matter. The others listed above certainly are not.
I've had minor criticisms in the past and have addressed those - and don't mind doing so - but I won't have guests making irrelevant criticisms.
I also have to say, with respect, that I don't think you have read my messages thoroughly.
I'm going to take this issue to the Hosts' Forum and see what the other hosts feel about this matter. I'm curious as to whether others have had similar review experiences.
I am not at all satisfied with your decision as I see the review clearly as largely irrelevant, and was naive in supposing you also had the ability to do so!
I'm really annoyed about this!
Regards,
David.

16 Replies 16
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@David2385 

A lot of us have experienced the same & you're banging your head against a brick wall.

Life is to short, Move on.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@David2385, this is obviously upsetting to you. We all get that one guest from time to time who will be in his own world and be a natural complainer. 

Looking at your listing, I see you have 130 reviews but your rating is 4.67, which tells me there have been some other non-5-star ratings as well, so I would personally work on a few issues related to that.

To your query here, I agree that it is not your fault Patrick had surgery on his hand - he should not have booked a place where he had to carry the luggage upstairs. Also, as you said, if he wanted WIFI, he should not have booked a place without it. Unfortunately, as we know, Airbnb usually sides with guests, so it is highly unlikely anything will come of your complaints.

Therefore, I would move on and work to get 5-star ratings from here on. In my booking approval message, I would include something about both the stairs and the WIFI, to make sure that guests have indeed read that on the listing (many people do not read well), and ask them to acknowledge that they understand those points, along with any others that you want to stress.

Good luck to you! 

Thanks John.

Unfortunately, I find it hard to get 5 stars consistently due to the age of my property - it was built in the 80's. It's a little tired now, but still a clean and comfortable stay. I'm retired and on a limited income, so some improvements will have to wait for a while. I just have to resign myself to the occasional 4 star rating. As value for money, it's nearly always pulling 5.

Interestingly, I was reading from a host who had a property which was built in the 1800's which was largely original, and she struggled a lot to get past three stars. However, its original condition was exactly the point of it, but guests missed the point. They criticised the old taps and bathroom, etc etc.

Thanks for the reply.

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@David2385I don't think you're an irrational idiot. I do think you've misread/misunderstood the new update about relevant reviews. It is my understanding that reviews/ratings will be removed only if they do not contain information relevant to the actual listing (ie - guest has an issue with sketchy people in the neighbourhood, or has gotten ripped off in a taxi which then leads the guest to review the listing poorly).

While your guest obviously did not read your listing, in which you mention stairs and no wifi, the way the new policy reads would not preclude the review from staying, as it does contain information relevant to the listing. (This is a large part of why I think the platform is being disingenuous with these "exciting" announcements). It IS an unfair review (I mean how does Patrick's hand surgery a week prior fit into his rating of your space? And why could his wife not haul the luggage if he was struggling and in such poor shape??), but we must accept that these crop up from time to time. The general public isn't really known for being reasonable, when taken en masse.

Hope you're able to shrug this one off, and move on to better (and more fair) guests.

Yes, Jennifer - I'm over it.

It's amazing how much a good night's sleep helps one. 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David2385  Sorry you got such a whiny guest who blames his own lack of attention on the host. But as others have said, you are probably wasting your time to try to get Airbnb to remove it, and their new review guidelines are ambiguous and open to interpretation. 

It's good that you responded to the review, but I found your response a little long-winded. A simple "Unfortunately this guest obviously did not pay attention to the listing description, the amenities offered and instructions for receiving any assistance he might need at the front desk, such as help with his luggage and the inexpensive Wifi time he could have purchased from them. I'm very sorry the guest had all these issues, but they could have been easily avoided by a thorough reading of the listing and  the other information sent to him."

That's very good advice, thanks Sarah! Thanks for the feedback and I'll certainly keep it in mind in future.

@David2385  No matter what product or service is being reviewed, eventually someone is going to complain about not getting things that were never offered in the first place. It is frustrating - especially when Airbnb makes such a fuss about those stupid s, useless star ratings - but a reasonable person reading the reviews will be able to figure out that the guest had irrational expectations. When a negative review is an anomaly, anyone with a few brain cells will recognize that too. 

There seems to be a vogue for censorship these days, and I don't share it personally. I think a Host Response addressing the criticism in the way you want to be seen by prospective guests can convert a dumb review into genuinely useful content. 

@David2385     Airbnb always gives itself an out. Note the wording:

"reviews would be removed because they contain irrelevant content that isn’t useful to future guests.

Airbnb has a habit of pandering to guests who read nothing, are irresponsible and entitled, thus every little bit of information sprinkled throughout reviews  however off-base,  irrelevant etc. can be interpreted as 'useful' for such guests.   I do agree with the response area being a powerful tool if used correctly to combat such idiocy.  The downside is such guests often penalize you in ratings so then you have Airbnb's constant: "you must improve or else ..." messages and accompanying penalties to deal with.  "You must improve your guests"  is what it implies in cases like this.

How does a host improve a guest whose irresponsibility and unwillingness to shoulder their own mistakes is the cause of the problem?

btw:  No, you are not irrational.  Airbnb is irrational.

Appreciate that, Ange.

I used to be a Superhost, but I struggle to consistently get enough five stars as my property is an older style.

(Paradoxically, when I increased the price a while back now,  I actually got more bookings and that was when I lost my Superhost status - when it was cheaper I got more five star ratings!)

I'll just suck it up and accept that I'm going to get the occasional winger - I suppose having only had one so far out of 130 is about on par by the sounds of things.

Thanks for taking the time.

@David2385  I have given up on getting a rational and fair response,  but never-the-less each time it happens I still send a message knowing Airbnb will send me a link to some inscrutable verbiage and say no.  Maybe if they receive enough messages from hosts a light bulb will come on.

I am probably losing my Superhost very soon.  I recently got a slew of low stars from people who didn't read the description, expected daily maid and concierge service, bellboys and baggage handlers.  One even said in private feedback, (I like to think the guest was too embarrassed to mention their entitlement in the review) - Superhosts ALWAYS (their caps not mine) provide breakfast - ding, ding, ding.  Really! surprise freebies on the host's dime?  Is this what having Superhost has come to mean.  I feel I may be better off without the badge if guest's expectations include free gifts and free amenities.

btw:  My listing is old too.  I make that crystal clear - but it doesn't stop some guests from expecting a glass skyscraper that is hermetically sealed and straight out of a movie!  I got a low star because "it was nothing like Gossip Girl" !  Sometimes you just have to laugh in the face of Airbnb's enabled adversity.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@David2385 @Ange2, I know most people simply do not read thoroughly and I feel that is often the root of many of our issues between host/guest.

I'm sure you both already do this, but I have learned, both through practice and from other hosts, to make sure I reiterate everything several times - on the listing, in a message I send before confirming a booking that requires a guest to acknowledge all policies, idiosyncrasies of the property, etc -anything they might be able to complain about, then again in a message a few days before arrival and lastly in the cabin itself.  

Even then, some people still skim and it is inevitable there will be that one who will find something to complain about. I still have a recent guest in mind. Although he gave me a 5-star review, he went on and on and on in his private feedback - no handsoap in the kitchen, the sleeping loft is actually a loft and not an enclosed bedroom (as advertised in photos and description lol), the cabin is located on gravel roads (duh, it's in the mountains), etc. 

Some people simply cannot be pleased! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David2385 

David, I have been lucky enough to have escaped getting a 3 star review to this point, but I know one will come sooner or later, so, although it will hurt when it comes, it won't be unexpected!

My feeling is David, every guest teaches us something....even if it's simply how idiotic they can be! But as hosts we have to learn from their comments and try to make it just that bit better for the next guest. When a negative guest comment is made, take steps to ensure you don't get that comment again. It's no good expecting Airbnb to be your poor review sanitiser.......they won't!

Your ranking, at 4.67 is a little on the low side, and maybe that has nothing to do with your hosting but, could have more to do with your guests perception.

David, I have suggested in the past, and it might be something you can gain from. When wording your listing description do it with a stranger.....a friend, a neighbour, someone who is not involved with the property because, things that seem bleedin' obvious to us will be seen as strange or alien to a guest. Word your description from the guests perspective taking into account comments your past guests  have left you. 

It may help you to lift that ranking a bit. Remember it's the experience that the guest is going to give you an overall star rating on...."How did your stay at David's place compare to your expectation"! 

Try not to get too upset about it Dave, try and learn and move on.....Good luck!

Cheers........Rob

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@David2385 

I am so sorry- some people will never be happy and honestly when they are like this, it’s almost never worth our time, much less peace. 

Something we found helped us is sending an email after booking confirming 

-full listing are rules have been read and understood, as to best manage expectations 

-number of guests 
-dates for booking

-any points 

eg for us

-please note the closest station is 0.8miles or a 15 min walk 

-all rooms are accessible by stairs only 

optional

and then provide the option to opt out - if for any of these reasons you do not feel comfortable staying with us, we ask that you please cancel your booking, completely penalty free upto 48 hours from booking).

Good luck to you! 
Yadira 🙂