Same day cancellation

Anne1045
Level 2
Tuoro sul Trasimeno, Italy

Same day cancellation

Hi there, for the second time guests have cancelled on their check in date. The Airbnb policy states that my cancellation policy still applies. Thankfully I have a moderate cancellation policy so I will get 50% of the daily rate. I still think it is unfair - there is no chance of me being able to let the room on the same day.

Both guests had booked back in February, so in both cases I had kept the rooms available for a long time. When my family asked to stay I had to take this last booking into account and they cut their stay short to make room for the guest that has just cancelled. Airbnb does not allow me to cancel without penalties. Of course you take the rough with the smooth, but I think same day cancellations should be paid in full. 

Curiously enough I was asked to rate the first guest who cancelled. I expect I will receive the same invitation for this latest cancellation. If a guest has cancelled the host should not receive an invitation to rate the guest.

I wonder what other hosts think.

Best regards,

Anne

19 Replies 19
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Anne1045  & welcome to CC.

Have you looked on the Hosting Help page?

If your Guest cancels on the day they are due they should still be paying you the full rate for the 1st night , don't they?
You may like to use related keywords here in the search box as the topic of cancellations comes up regularly.

Some guests have a personal policy they will only refund xyz or no refunds.

Both parties have the right to write a Review  you should get an email alert to do so.

You could mention that the Guest cancelled on the day of there due to arrival date.

Do remember that it's future Guests who will read what you write.

All the best

Anne1045
Level 2

Hi Helen, this sounds more like a reprimand than help.

Please read: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/43/what-happens-if-my-guest-cancels

Payout is according to cancellation policy. My cancellation policy is 'moderate' which means 50% for cancellations within 7 days, even if they cancel the same day. Unless I am missing something,  and based on previous experience I don't think I am.

I fail to see the reason why I should review a guest on cleanliness and observance of house rules if they haven't stayed with me. And I don't understand why I shouldn't realise that guests read my reviews. As far as I am aware that is exactly what they are for.

Thanks anyway for taking the time to respond.

Anne

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Anne1045 

I agree!

Future Hosts also read other Hosts reviews of their previous Guests when that cancelled guest makes an enquiry or book, trust me!

It's a great way to find out if we want them in our homes or not.

Guests who have a history of cancelling with Hosts on more than one occasion would raise Red Flags.

I had a guest who for reasons was unable to come & I've reviewed her on her cordial communications & what I would have expected her top be like, alas she never actually cancelled.

You should be able to get a fair idea what that guest was like from previous hosts reviews of them as to what star rating to give them, or give them a medium of 3 if appropriate.

Hope you get my drift.

The cancellation policy you have selected allows this to happen. If you're not happy then change the cancellation policy to strict.

@Anne1045 

I think you may be misunderstanding the cancellation policy. There is Flexible, Moderate, and Strict. If you are set to "Moderate" the policy is as follows (I am set to moderate as well so I'm familiar):

-Guest cancels more than 5 days prior to check-in, they get a full refund, minus Airbnb service fees

-Guest cancels within 5 days of check-in, they forfeit the full price of the first night, and receive 50% of the cost of the remaining nights, again, minus the Airbnb service fees

Anne1045
Level 2

Hi Suzanne, I understand the cancellation policy. What you have provided is the cancellation policy for guests.

The host, however, gets paid out 50% of the normal payout if the cancellation policy is set to Moderate or Strict, even if the guest cancels on the check in day. If your policy is Flexible and the guest cancels within 24 hours of their trip, the hosts gets paid for the first night.

I feel the first night should be paid out to hosts in full, regardless of cancellation policy, simply because of the unlikelihood of filling that night with a new guest.

Thanks,

Anne

Anne1045
Level 2

Hi Helen, thanks for giving your first response greater context, I now do get your drift 🙂

Have a good day

Anne

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

@Anne1045 Yes it is unfair to you... Change your cancellation Policy to Strict. At least with a Strict Policy you have the option of how much money that you would like to give back to the guest. Even though i have a strict Policy I will often refund the guest based on how many days of a cancellation that I can re-book. Sometimes if I have plenty of time, weeks or months to rebook the days, I will give them a full cancellation minus a $100 cancellation fee. Just because you have a strict Policy doesnt mean that you are a Money grabber, a strict policy gives you flexibility.. 

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

@Anne1045 give them 1 star on the review, and do not reccommend them. This will serve as a notice to other hosts that the guests may cancel and they might not want to choose that particular guest.

Anne1045
Level 2

Hi Nina, thanks for the tips and for taking the time to respond. I will follow your advice and change the cancellation policy. From Airbnb messages though I understand that a strict policy may mean fewer bookings. Is that your experience Nina?

Thanks again. 

Enjoy your day,

Anne 

@Anne1045 Possibly yes, I want guaranteed bookings I dont want wishy washy people blocking my days from others who are more serious. I want serious people. 

Anne1045
Level 2

Agreed. Thanks Nina.

All the best,

Anne

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Anne1045 

It's annoying, but I'd wait and cool down for a time before making any hasty decision.

Perhaps it's only a coincidence that you have had two cancellations recently. Maybe it is just a bump in the road and not a trend.

I had something similar two years ago, probably the natural thing is to take a knee jerk reaction and consider going to the strict policy and smash cancelling guests in the reviews. From a guests perspective, they have left money on your table, it might be some comfort rather than a cancellation just outside the full refund zone.  If it is a trend you can consider to select a strict policy for protection.

I left my cancellation policy as it were , on moderate, and going forward I find cancellations still fairly rare. They do happen still very occasionally, I should point out in my location there are usually possibilities of last minute bookings to take. No one can tell you if changing policy will affect your booking rates, each place has it's own nuances.

With the review, both sides still have a chance to review, based on a previous airbnb loophole when a cancellation meant no reviews were possible which reflected badly when guests arrived and there was a critical problem and had no chance to warn others with a review - but ludicrous and irrational when guests haven't even seen the place. It's a mockery awarding stars.

There might be valid reasons why a guest cancelled - so for the review it's best to note the facts, ''Guest booked in Jan for 11 August for five nights, cancelled on the day without arriving'' The guest can respond to your review if they wish, with a reason ..or a yarn.

Anne1045
Level 2

Hi Elena, 

I wanted to share my thoughts on the fact that if guests cancel the same day the payout is in line with the cancellation policy, which I think is unfair, and that it seems absurd to be invited to rate guests who haven't stayed with me.

I have no intention to, never have had and never will 'smash guests' on a review, especially someone who hasn't stayed with me. Hosts should not be asked to review guests who haven't stayed with them, so in both cases i didn't leave one.

Perhaps a solution could be for Airbnb to give the option to provide a reason for cancellation in the review, rather than ask to award stars. That way a pattern would emerge if a guest cancels frequently.

People have good reason to cancel, i assume, it's just the way the cookie crumbles and my misfortune that two guests recently did. I will change my cancellation policy. When changing policy there is a warning that people may be more reluctant to book, but I will take that risk. The latest cancellation had a direct impact on me and my family and I want to reduce the risk of the same thing happening again. I don't think this is a knee-jerk reaction, just another way of managing my b&b.

Thanks for your input Elena.

Have a good day,

Anne