Unreasonable refund request

Answered!
Liva0
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Unreasonable refund request

Hi, 

A guest who stayed for 5 nights and had a good time has emailed me that she had a dry sore throat every morning (which she did not tell me about while here) that would go away after hot tea. 

I responded that I was sorry to hear but while she was here for energy work (holistic practices), it's possible that her body was working through some things and also that it's also very likely that having the AC on all night would make that happen, especially when it's not hot outside.

I also joked about "hey, it's Florida so you know, humidity" -- as we'd joked during her stay.
Well, she has now filed a refund for the full amount of her stay based on her dry sore throart every morning that would go away after hot tea. I have explained in the resolution center that I find it surprising she wouldn't say a word during her stay and ask for a refund -- and a full refund! -- because of a dry sore throat.

I highlighted that she herself told me she had a lot of allergies -- which I paid close attention to while she was here -- and that could be an indication why she felt anything strange when no one in a year that I've been here and who has stayed in the guest room, including myself, had that problem. 

What do you suggest I do? 

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Liva0,

It sounds like you have done all that you can and I would decline the request and let Airbnb make their final decision.  It does sound like quite a ridiculous claim!

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Bernd95 you suggested you and your guests having a joint sauna session as in being in the sauna together? That is very inappropriate in my opinion, you should have suggested a cup od coffee instead. As to the showing no evidence the guests submitted Airbnb doesn't have to do that, thay can decide in their sole discretion about a case and we agree on that when listing our properties. They were probably uncomfortable with your suggestion and wanted to leave. 

Bernd95
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Haha, they wanted the sauna session earlier than I! In most Western European countries you use a sauna together with others in case you don’t know. What has Airbnb come down to and why are corporate mindsets and an erratic consumer culture taking over?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Bernd95 i do know thay but it is a bit weird for the host to suggest it especially if it is in the apartment and not a public sauna. You say that they suggested it and later fiercely rejected it, I still wouldn't suggest it even if they previously have said it. Corporate mindset isn't taking over and they probably shouldn't have gotten the refund but you agreed on all the T&C when listing to the platform and that was one of those conditions. 

Bernd95
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

Thanks, the sauna is outside (all details in advert) and their complaint triggering the instant 1000GBP refund was about me asking if their washing may be postponed by two days. Everything after that (combi oven, etc.) was never shared with me and could not be documented. I'd be very interested in others' comments about what stance Airbnb is taking with such conduct? Can guests be held to contracts? 

Linda1549
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Hi @Liva0 

May I ask how you reached Airbnb to discuss the situation? I find myself in a very similar situation. I've only been hosting since May.  I have a guest who has sent a request for a refund a couple days after her stay.  I feel very violated frankly about this.  I take great pains to ensure that my apartment is spotless.  I have all 5 star reviews so far and everyone compliments on how spotless my place is. 

This seemingly first time Airbnb guest I had last week complained about a couple non-existent issues when she was here. She said there was no hot water in the shower.  She simply had to turn the handle the other way but hadn't tried.  And the toilet she said was running on.  I checked it and it was simply filling and stopping.   

Note:  I accommodated some special requests they had made about check-in.   I also checked on them several other times to be sure all was ok.  They mentioned none of what they are requesting a refund for.

I have very clear rules on my listing and a manual on the kitchen counter showing quiet time between 11pm and 7am to respect my living space upstairs from the apartment and for my neighbours.  The first two nights of their stay they came home after 1am and were using loud voices right outside my bedroom window (which is next to their private entrance).  The one night they came home at 1:45 am and were loud and talking outside my window...then at 8am they had someone show up at their door and bang on the glass door very loudly about 5 times.  I had just woken up.  

I messaged her and asked her, if she was going to be coming home late, if they could please not talk outside the door as they had woken be each night.  She said sorry and that they would tell themselves to be quiet if coming home late that night and then suggested to me that in future I should tell guests this beforehand.  (aside from the fact that this should be common courtesy when in a quiet neighbourhood)  I explained that it is clearly outlined in my rules on my listing and in the manual (1-page) right on the kitchen counter.  I didn't hear anything back.

When they were leaving I made a point to go and chat with them and ask how their conference had been, etc.

I outline the above as I was curious if she was doing this because I had messaged her about the disturbance.

My cleaning person found damage to the vanity in my bathroom after they left and towels that were caked in makeup.  I glued the damaged vanity (looked like someone stepped on the trim at the bottom) and managed to get the towels clean, so I didn't try to make any claim on the security deposit.  

I sent a fairly honest review, but not as harsh as I wanted it to be, however I tried to give her some slack because it was her first time staying at an airbnb and thought perhaps she just didn't understand about the rules.  I sent a private note telling her about the damage and suggesting that in future she should report the damage to the host so they can fix it before another guest arrives. (this is also outlined in my manual).  I don't know if they receive that private note before the review is published.  She hasn't yet done a review.

2 days after they left I got a request for a refund for $400.  It read:

We recently stayed in this home and there was a few issues.  There was stains on the bed and dust on the pillow cases.  One of the guests has allergies and the dusty room severely effected him.  Sleep was disturbed because of the squeaky bed frame I have a video but am unable to send through site.  Please see the attached documents thank you.  

There were no documents attached.  

I personally washed all linens right before their arrival.  There were no stains before or after their stay.  Except that there was balls of red lint all over the bed when they left like someone had a new sweater or something on that left red lint everywhere.

Obviously this is a scam.  This person is a first time airbnb guest with no previous reviews. I would have thought they would be on their best behaviour...not pushing limits.   My guess is that she has some experience at this or was told by someone to try and scam me in this way.  

I don't know what to do at this point.  I've tried to find a phone number for Airbnb but haven't yet.  I just clicked the report guest button on the guest listing, and sent that in, but I don't know how long that will take to get to someone.  

Any suggestions on how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated.  

thanks Linda