Unwarranted bad review?

Lynne1
Level 1
Houston, TX

Unwarranted bad review?

Hi guys! 

I just wanted to ask you what I can do about this... My listing clearly says that there is no internet and no cable (no provider will reach). I just had a booking (during the busiest time of the season, the days between Christmas and New year) who asked for a refund after staying one night because *queue drum roll*... they're disappointed that there's no internet and cable. 

I gave her back a refund for 2 nights (since she stayed there one night and I still have to pay my cleaning lady), and suggested a few resorts around my place that would be nice. I apologized to her and was courteous, and let her know kindly that it was in my listing that there was no cable and internet. I still feel a bad review coming on. What can I do about it?

7 Replies 7
Jessa0
Level 10
Ngorongoro, Tanzania

I'm not sure how this works but if her booking is listed as cancelled, or if you get airbnb to have it show as cancelled, she might not be able to review. You did so much more than you'd have had to do, sometimes it is best to stand your ground than to bow to a guest in fear of a bad review (the rotten guests can often not be pleased no matter what). If she reviews note in your review she didn't care to read your listing description. As for no internet - can you not get usb sticks with internet in the US? The kind that hook up to your local cell phone provider, usually pre-charged data, some with subscriptions. (Hold a warantee fee so that guests don't accidentally take them home). They're a staple in the 3rd world and in tech affinative countries such as those in the Baltics and Scandianvia. Could avoid future headaches with guests to have an option like that available.

Ernie0
Level 10
San Francisco, CA

Hi Lynne, 

I would encourage you to honor the cancellation policy to which both parties agreed and should the guest feel that they are entitled a refund, allow them to pursue this with Airbnb. I would never refund a guest when I have lived up to my end of the bargain, providing all that was advertised. I cannot be responsible should a guest choose to make commitments with eyes wide shut. The willful ingorance of a guest should not be the burden of the host.

I would encourage the guest to cancel the reservation to recoup any funds that might be due depending on the cancellation policy chosen. 

Hope that helps!
Ernie Thayer

Regina0
Level 6
San Antonio, TX

@Lynne1, I would suggest for future reservations or inquires to make sure that they know that there is no cable or internet.  If that guest does write a bad review then you may choose to respond to it, but if you do just stick to the facts.    

Nuno-Y-Daniel0
Level 9
Porto, Portugal

Lynne i do have a portable internet router that use for manage my listings, work and for mobile phone.  If you have one or some other similar option it can work out. I wouldn't give a refund in this situation. 

Check if your neighbours are kind enough to let them use, if you have them.

In the near future, put that in the beginning of the description and in the 2nd photo for example.

If you rent often i suggest to have a internet option for the guests.

Julia0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello Lynne,

How long was this guest's stay? Did you refund via airbnb or cash? You have a cancellation policy for a reason, apply it! If you refund in cash, this guest can then apply to airbnb for a refund and it might be paid. You lose. Twice. Imagine that in your listing you state "no washer/dryer" and a guest complains that there is no washer dryer - would you refund anything? No. Same goes with anything not listed as available.  You could look into supplying some kind of wifi "stick", but none of your other guests have complained - so, I would send a message back to any enquiry/booking saying "please read my information carefully, and note there is no wifi or cable". Do not refund! Your reviews are great, and if she/he leaves a negative review, just respond unemotionally with facts. Never be threatened by "I'll give you a bad review" - it's extortion, and airbnb take this seriously. Guests just do not read!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Hi ya Lynne,

As I have said on other posts you have to second guess that perception of your listing and what is in your guests minds and provide a 'plan B' for every situation!!

Internet and Wi-fi can be a real issue these days....Our cottage has Wi-fi coverage but, some people would consider it to be the end of civilisation as we know it if for some reason the internet connection faultered so.....I have a personal Wi-fi dongle on hand that has it's own mobile number and simply plugs into any USB or Micro-USB computer port which I keep stocked with about 5Gb of data. I think it costs me about $15au per month. I use it myself when away from home to respond to Airbnb booking requests. Once I did have to use it for a guest when my internet went down and she was so greatfull, I am sure she would have given me 6 stars if she could have.

Lynne there are always ways and means to get around individual problems.....It's no good saying in your listing, 'not available' .....find a way to fix it!!!! My little Wi-fi dongle is a massive amount cheaper than having to fork out for a refund to some disgruntled client!!!

Cheers....Rob

Mary-Ellen0
Level 4
Dummerston, VT

Nothing~