Verified Guests: does it mean something?

Simon209
Level 3
Montreal, Canada

Verified Guests: does it mean something?

Hello!

AirBnB seemingly gets Guests to provide Government ID, etc., to protects themselves, but does it do anything for the Host?
I have a Guest who reserved my place for this weekend and his AirBnB profile claims that he has provided, among other things, a valid email address and phone number. I decided to try to call him but the number provided by AirBnB is not in service, which makes me a little uneasy. Is there a way to get access to more of the AirBnB verification information? It seems that AirBnB should, as a minimum, share guest's Facebook info, no?

24 Replies 24
Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Simon209  If his profile only contains email and phone number, it means that his government ID is not verified. Otherwise, it will be shown in the list. 

Some people don’t have Facebook account. You may message him through Airbnb and ask him to upload government ID or ask him to show you the ID when he checks in. 

If he does not reply your message, you can involve Airbnb support to get hold with him.

@Mike1034 : the Guest's AirBnB profile claims that he provided "government ID", but what good does that do me as a Host?  AirBnB didn't share his government ID photo and deciphering basic physical traits based on the photo they provided wasn't even possible. It seems that Host's should be supplied with a decent quality photo of the Guest so that they can tell, as a minimum, the gender of the Guests to whom they're giving their house keys to, no?

It also seems that Airbnb should follow thru on their standard requirements claim and provide Host's with Guests "Confirmed phone number" (in my case, the number was invalid) and where they live (his AirBnB profile claimed that he lived 4500 kilometers away, yet he lives less than 100km)

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Simon209, I would think sharing facebook info would be some kind of privacy violation. However, you can set your booking settings to require that guests have verified ID or as @Mike1034 says, ask them to upload it. If you don't feel comfortable with the reservation, ask Airbnb to cancel it (don't cancel it yourself otherwise you'll be penalised). 

@Kath9: I do require Guests to be verified.  But, as I asked, what good does it do to me (Host) that the guest provided "government ID", etc? AirBnB didn't share the Guest's government ID photo and deciphering basic physical traits based on the photo they did provide wasn't even possible. It seems that Host's should be supplied with a decent quality photo of the Guest so that they can tell, as a minimum, the gender of the Guests to whom they're giving their house keys to, no?

It also seems that Airbnb should follow thru on their standard requirements claim and provide Host's with Guests "Confirmed phone number" (in my case, the number was invalid) and where they live (his AirBnB profile claimed that he lived 4500 kilometers away, yet he lives less than 100km).  Thoughts?

@Simon209 @Kath9 

I was checking out another abbreviated hosting platform and their guest information does include a Facebook link in their profile, details of who made the reservation payment(s) and full address of the booking guest. All this, and the host holds the security deposit until after check-out.

I don't see why this information about a guest staying in our property is some sort of a privacy issue?

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0: what other abbreviated hosting platform are you referring too?

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Simon209 

My thought is every host should ask his guest to show him his ID or passports. And we should write down / take a photo / make a photocopy of it and keep it as long as our guest has our keys and until we make a house inspection after he leaves.

In some countries this is mandatory, Croatia is one of them and I am happy about it. It seems guests act better when they know we know their identity.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 : that's what I was hoping to do, except that this guest didn't have any ID with him. My listing states that Guests have to identify themselves when they check in, but I wasn't sure if that was grounds for refusing entry.  Thoughts?

@Simon209 

I wouldn't host him, here , by law, we are not obligated to host anyone who doesn't want to show us his ID.

You could put the same in your house rules. Of course, you wouldn't be paid but sometimes it is worth to lose some money and save yourself a lot of trouble. It is very unusual and it's against the law leaving the house without the ID

@Branka-and-Silvia0 : I completely agree with you.  I suspect he was wanting to rent a "party house", which my place is NOT, and was scared of showing ID in case the place got thrashed.

@Simon209  this is very possible scenario ... weekend, he is local, doesn't have an ID with him, fake phone number, fake address... 

So, did you cancel his reservation or he is staying?

@Branka-and-Silvia0 : the reservation was cancelled.

Thank you to all for input/comments

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Simon209  If he arrived by car, isn’t it obligatory that you carry a driving license ?

@Ria16: his AirBnB profile claimed that he lived 4500 kilometers away, yet I found out that he lives in Montreal (which is where I'm from). I agree that he should have had ID on him, but I couldn't force him.