Verify! - or be delisted!

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Verify! - or be delisted!

Just had a 'ping' to my (non-smart) phone. - I must verify my i.d. by 6 December, or be de-listed! Checked lap top, same message on dashboard. - PANIC!

Tried to calm down, & went into 'Account', then 'Personal Info' - Relief! - It told me to photograph my passport, or driver's licence, (or I.D. card, which we don't have in the U.K.) To my amazement, this slightly tech phobic 58 year year old managed to photograph my passport, AND upload the result on to my laptop, AND post it on the Airbnb site in the designated box. Minutes later, my profile is registering that I'm verified, & have provided Government I.D. Phew! - Simple really!

(Thank goodness my passport is still valid, it expires next September.  Especially as  my driver's licence is an old style one without a photo, and also in my maiden name. 😞 -

(There are many Brits who have NO photo I.D. - it's not compulsory, not everyone has a passport or a driving licence with a photo...)

63 Replies 63
Helen350
Level 10

@Peter2574 All I did was upload a poor quality snapshot of my passport, taken with a £5 phone! My passport photo is 9 years old & I was not asked to upload a live selfie. Good, cos I wouldn't know how to! (Maybe it matched with my profile pic???)

- There are many other posts here re this, if you type 'verify/verification' in the search box.

Verification should be for new hosts. Old hosts should not have that issue as guests would already have stayed at their units confirming that they are legit to operate. Handing over your home ownership document to a private company should be looked at with some circumspection.

@Stephanie wrote:

Hiya @Sarah977 

A very valid way of carrying out the process. We wanted to make sure everyone was required to do this, equally. To that end, entire territories are notified for the verification, with the same deadline regardless of the profile standing.

Thanks

Excuse me for being a tad skeptical,  but ABB hardly has a track record of either transparency or accuracy,  and your description is hardly clear.

Are you really saying that ABB fails to ask for ID verification from new hosts,  or at a reasonable period after signup in a clear manner-- and instead rather randomly runs geographic runs "every few years,  now and then,  kinda sorta as we feel like it?"

If so,  I'll add that the item to my list of "problems and absurdities with Airbnb that argue for regulation" on my next call with Senator Chris Murphy's staff.

@Sarah977 wrote:

@Helen350  It's so ridiculous- whether your photo ID all matches, according to Airbnb's computer bots, has absolutely nothing to do with whether a listing is accurate, a scam, etc. All it verifies is the user's identity, nothing else. 

Actually it doesn't really do that,    as the facial match and other matches via "the bot" don't have the ability to truly verify identity.    As I tried to explain to a rather clueless ABB CSR earlier today,   the local US consulate where I am today has problems detecting fake IDs made by Russian and other mafia operations--   we can't assume ABB's tech is any better?

That was in response to the CSR declaring that my host,  who I have not seen,  and who is clearly operating multiple units in some kind of commercial operation,  "is surely a real person,  she's passed ID Verification.

If you haven't seen recent news,  perhaps check out posts by @nomadmatt  on Twitter,  such as https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/break-up-with-airbnb/ ;   while I don't agree with Matt on a lot of things,  the statistics about commercial operations and frauds are indeed concerning-- and like him,   I've now found locating genuine "in someone's house" experiences difficult,   with the same decline in quality of experience Matt describes in his feed.

@Stephanie  The listings that should be receiving these demands ... identifying scam or bad listings at all.

It's fine to require that all users be verified, but if the thrust is to make sure bad or inaccurate listings or bad hosts aren't out there on the platform, this is not the way to do it. You start with the ones that send up red flags, or are new with no reviews or rating yet, not the ones that have been operating successfully for years with no complaints.

Hmm... where to start?

I have noticed that someone at ABB somewhere appears to be rolling out features to identify commercial hosts in some markets.    That would be a great thing,  but my impression,  like NomadMatt's,   is that ABB is a mess inside.

Sometimes starting to change requires recognizing that you have a problem.   ABB isn't quite there.

I was aghast to hear my CSR today reply with a formulaic "I assure you the reviews are from genuine guests blah blah blah and we have a system to detect problems" when shill reviews have been documented and ABB clearly doesn't have a system to detect this and other problems effectively.

ABB could do all sorts of things.   They could better mentor and support hosts,  either by assigning them reps / advocates inside the company,   or by establishing a host-to-host mentoring program.  They could detect altered listing photos,  stock photos,   stock personal pics,   etc algorithmically.    Etc.

It's unclear how far they want to go:   this is a little bit like Sheryl Sandberg telling Facebook's security officer that he should have lied to the government about Russian intervention etc.   When I described ABB's CSR's statements to an attorney today,  he replied simply "that's fraud,"  and there really appears to be a culture of fraud,  misrepresentation,  and childish incompetence masquerading as diligence throughout Airbnb,  Facebook and other companies-- in the pursuit of perceived profits.

I started out intending this comment to simply reply that there were are many jurisdictions in which listing on ABB without a landlord's consent is perfectly normal and legal and within someone's rights--   as I sit here tonight realizing that I still don't know if my host is a genuine long-term superhost who has bought or leased a few buildings and just forgot to deep clean etc etc for a while,  or if she's just a fake personality and picture for some other operation ("could be the Russian mob for all I know") -- the variety of entities operating on ABB and the need to identify what they are and weed out a little seems important to me,  and something ABB is doing poorly.

Startups,  it seems,  often start out nimble and quick and reactive,   and turn quickly into massive ill-managed bureaucracies even less capable of reacting to change than the so-called dinosaurs they "replaced."    

It also seems that Airbnb is having a lot of problems even keeping up with the kinds of organizations and entities that have realized that operating Airbnbs can be immensely profitable,  and give them a nice cut of the hotel and tourism industry's profits.   And that means chaos:  not just fake and truly horrendous listings,    but just poor listings because it's a group of 20-something guys in Sofia who want to mostly party,  and make some quick buck,    and they really don't care about guest experience (or know how to run or clean a house!).

We started with ID verification in all of this,  and Airbnb has other programs such as Photo verified and "verified listings" etc -- which may have some value,  but (at this point I'm jawing a bit due to the frustration of dealing with ABB's CS,  which led me to come here) all of which strike me as a bit artificial and somewhat half-baked pet projects of some manager or another.

ABB needs to work it out and cut through the growing pains and get someone back in control-- not sure anyone in the current crop,  as with Uber,  can cut it.   Someone need to be in charge and making the calls and accountable for the consequences,  and Chesky clearly isn't.

Or the darned thing,  together with Uber and Facebook and a series of others,   needs to be regulated into order,  IMHO.

@Kenneth12  What I really meant to say was that all it is designed to do is verify the user's identity, but of course we all know that when we're dealing with computer bots, algorithms, AI, and the rest of the online world, there all kinds of ways for that to not be a reliable way of verifying anyone's identity. This why for most things that need to be secure in the real world, one has to produce at least 2 pieces of ID, primary and secondary, and an actual person is looking at you to see if you look like the person on the photos. A computer bot can't do that, as evidenced by the hosts here who say the photos of themselves they are trying to submit keep getting rejected, as the bot's facial recognition system is obviously flawed.

I haven't been asked to verify yet, but when I am, I can't imagine the bot is going to recognize my passport photo as matching my profile photo.

@Sarah977 :  don't worry too much-- I have an instant booking this morning,  from an ID-verified account that has a cartoon photo as the profile pic!

What is truly amazing here is that Airbnb does not have a simple work-around measure where an employee can over-ride and alternatively verify based on visual confirmation or other documents;

and the absolute arrogance of Airbnb's assertion that they can do things like this "however we want" with no accountability or responsibility to reason.

Good luck,  but I'd bet the ID sweeps are not comprehensive.

Well said @Kenneth12 @Helen350 @Peter2574 @Lynne57 @Ute42 

Any updates here @Stephanie ?

We have had our payments paused because of this 'Glitch' to 'verify our ID" to be paid, and are unable to upload a current photo ID that hasn't expired,  and a Selfie...Not everyone has the latest Technology, nor is it a Legal Requirement to have Photo ID in NZ.

ABB already have verification who we are through our Bank who verify us face to face as a local customer!!!

Hope I don't get penalized for 90 days because of this.

One would reasonably expect any service provided to be paid within a reasonable timeframe when one acts in 'Good Faith' providing accommodation that ABB have ben paid for by Guests, so it seems very unfair, and it's not acting in Good Faith when it's acts that are undertaken by AI Bots!!! 

@Brian @Catherine-Powell @Quincy @Sybe @Emilie @Francesca  (nice new photo by the way 🙂

@Noriko 

Helen350
Level 10

@Moira-and-Bill0 Yes, I too was sent to an irrelevant page (search bookings) when I clicked the link Airbnb sent me to verify. I tried several times, but always the same. That's why I went to my Account page...

- Agree it's a problem for women who may go under married name AND maiden name..... 

I received the same demand on Friday and spent most of the day trying to get a good enough photo of my passport, nigh on impossible (for me). I sent in three and each one was thrown back by Airbnb as not being clear enough. I tried with natural daylight and interior spotlighting and using my I-pad and android but still no better. I honestly don't know how to solve this issue.

Helen350
Level 10

@Sharon493 The one I uploaded in a panic was terrible quality, took it after dark, (on a £5 phone) under a lamp, & there was some reflection. But they still accepted it to my surprise! 

-Keep trying!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Helen350  et al,

Thanks for sharing your questions about the recent request for verification. We are expanding the verification program by asking both hosts and guests to provide this identification, just to make sure everything is correct. This process happens from time-to-time, so some of you may remember having done this in the past. 

Part of keeping the Airbnb community safe and healthy is ensuring our members are valid. This is being rolled out globally so other territories will be expected to complete the process in the near future. 

Many thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

This is all very commendable but each and every photo of my government id (I am English and only have a passport which qualifies as acceptable id - Airbnb doesn't  acknowledge my French-issued Carte Vitale) which I have posted over this past week has been rejected as not being clear enough. Sebastien at Customer Support has suggested various alternative ways of uploading but I am afraid it is beyond my 64 year old capabilities and also that of my 10 year old I-pad. I have already wasted 2 days trying to achieve the perfect photo and to be honest I haven't got time to waste on ridiculous requests like this. I therefore exp t to be de-listed on 5 December. So much for loyalty towards Superhosts.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sharon493 

I would advise you to go to a photography shop or internet cafe, where they can scan your ID and email to you.

You can then download the photo onto your computer / i-pad, and upload it onto your Airbnb account.

Thanks for your advice Alon. At this precise time, I have really had enough of Airbnb and can't be bothered wasting more time on their dubious games, but hey ho, maybe I'll feel differently in another 7 days....

Lynne57
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

I simply cannot understand why after over seven years of hosting and well over a hundred reviews this is now being asked of me so as to welcome people, who are complete strangers,  (sometimes without a photo ) to share my home.

AirBnB,, it’s the final straw for me. There is no requirement in the U.K. to have photo ID.   

Whilst I do have documentation I’m not prepared to share the information unnecessarily