Verify! - or be delisted!

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Verify! - or be delisted!

Just had a 'ping' to my (non-smart) phone. - I must verify my i.d. by 6 December, or be de-listed! Checked lap top, same message on dashboard. - PANIC!

Tried to calm down, & went into 'Account', then 'Personal Info' - Relief! - It told me to photograph my passport, or driver's licence, (or I.D. card, which we don't have in the U.K.) To my amazement, this slightly tech phobic 58 year year old managed to photograph my passport, AND upload the result on to my laptop, AND post it on the Airbnb site in the designated box. Minutes later, my profile is registering that I'm verified, & have provided Government I.D. Phew! - Simple really!

(Thank goodness my passport is still valid, it expires next September.  Especially as  my driver's licence is an old style one without a photo, and also in my maiden name. 😞 -

(There are many Brits who have NO photo I.D. - it's not compulsory, not everyone has a passport or a driving licence with a photo...)

63 Replies 63
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/help/article/1237/how-does-it-work-when-airbnb-verifies-your-identity

There's a snippet in here that says one can't remove one's Government ID after uploading it until 90 days after the latest booking and is still asking me for another photo to complete verification of my identity, my Passport is valid ID.

It's weird to ask for another photo.

I'm lost and it has left me in Limbo land.

@Fraser22 @Laura_C ??

Help!!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

In addition, all message alerts to my Email and Phone have been on hold and not coming through so I'm unable to connect to any Guests or current reservations which is unfair.

I understand Verification for users however when one is generally a Law abiding citizen we seem to be paying the price for the minority who have been dishonest, or have access to Guns.

Most unfortunate.

Simply trying to keep a roof over my head and don't need added distress of this right on Christmas and without so much as an email to advise of this process as I'm sure neither do others.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi@Helen427 

I'm having the same trouble that You have. I tried everything to verify myself, but nothing works. Airbnb tells me I will be delisted effective dec 6th, if I don't get verified.

If You can afford it, don't do anything. Let all Your upcoming guests strand out there in the desert. If airbnb gets the beef from the guest-side, they will react. They don't care if we hosts complain.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

thanks @Ute42 @Helen350 @Lynne57 @Sharon493 @Kenneth12 

For your feedback and comments.

People are within their rights to Personal Data to be safely protected and unless there's a valid reason to request further information, bearing in mind the fact our ID's have already been verified with Name. address, phone/ email and bank details a reasonable person/ company should be fine with that.

Whilst I appreciate there are Hoists that are Guests and Guest that are Hosts some are one, or the other as well