Verifying guest

Verifying guest

I recently had an inquiry.  All was good, until I asked if they had read house rules.  My reason as I’ve people who have not done so, and down the road it falls apart.  One was a one small dog policy, but found they had small dog and a Rottweiler.  The guest I asked if had read wrote back saying I had offended her and she would not book with me.  Was I wrong in asking.

12 Replies 12
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Diane548

Be happy to not host this guest. There is nothing offending on asking if guest have read the houserules.

Best regards,

Emiel

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I have "offended" people in the same way, @Diane548. In fact, the last was maybe just today.

Me: "Did you get a chance to read the full description and house rules? We want any surprises to be good ones."

Guest: [no message, but cancels immediately]

Me: [no message, but shouts Hallelujah at the computer monitor]

As @Emiel1 says, be happy!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Diane548

Gee whiz....I think you dodged a bullet there Diane. Very thin skinned guests turn out to be the hardest to satisfy you know!

How was your delivery of that comment though Diane....did you give her reason to be offended?

Quite often best to say ...."I know you want just as nice a experience as I do, and a moment or two on the house rules helps all of us because it sometimes points out some little think that makes the whole stay so much more enjoyeable!"

That's probably a bit longwinded, but you are not being the 'school marm' by hitting them whack in the face with the house rules!

Cheers......Rob

Thank you for your reply.  I have truly been stewing over this.  I presented this as a statement of confrmation that house rules have been read.  That I always want fr the host ad the guest to be on the same page.  I'm new to this, so I will learn.

Diane

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Anyone who gets offended before they have even stayed is someone who I do NOT want to host, and I don't even share any interior space with my guests. When you're opening your own home to strangers you are righteous to do your verification process. Don't be stewing over this!

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

As everyone has already told you, you did nothing wrong! Be happy you won't be hosting this guest!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Diane548   Don't lose a wink of sleep over this. You did nothing wrong- the guest did, and good riddance. She'd probably be offended if you expected her to pick up her dogs' poop in the yard.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Hi @Diane548.  I must agree, you dodged a bullet with that "offended" inquiry.  Making sure the guests understand your house rules prior to arrival will save head aches down the road.  I always remind my potential guests that our listing is no smoking, no pets, no parties and then ask for them to verify that this is understood by all persons in the group.   Only then will I confirm their request to book. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The world is now creaking at the edges with the professionally offended. Thankfully you avoided this one. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Diane548. As already stated by @Gordon0@Linda-And-Richard0@Sarah977@Suzanne302  & @Robin - all experienced hosts here: you did not do wrong, AND you have dodged a bullet! 

Give yourself a pat on the back and ensure you ask the next guest the same question and place it in your house rules, wording it to be friendly, fair but firm! 

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Diane548, I always make sure that the guests have read and agree to my rules and policies. If in the course of our conversation I feel they have not read thoroughly or are rushing through booking, I go ahead and deny the request or inquiry. 

Always make sure any potential guest acknowledges the rules and policies to avoid problems during the stay. I have also found that potential guests, who do not reply well generally turn out to be poor guests, breaking something, making messes, etc. 

If we become desperate to get any booking, we will have problems for sure. Be thankful you avoided this guest and left the dates open to get a good guest instead. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Diane548, you definitely did the right thing. I send ALL my bookings a message asking them to make sure they have read the house rules and stating that they are free to cancel if the listing is not a good fit for them. If this person was offended by that, you are lucky they didn't end up staying in your home.