Virginia Legislation - meet up

James--Leri-and-Moonshin0
Level 3
Virginia, United States

Virginia Legislation - meet up

Some of the hosts in Central Virginia are coming under possible regulatory pressure from more elite Bed and Breakfast businesses and the hotel lobby. We are interested in creating a local meet up. The closest one is 2 hours away. How do I go about enlisting the help of AirBnB in coordinating a meet up and contacting all the hosts in my region?

10 Replies 10
Kip0
Level 9
Virginia Beach, VA

James - sorry I'm just seeing this and I'm actually in Virginia Beach but just want to connect in case we ever need to coordinate state-wide level.

There are some community meetings coming up in Virginia Beach next week that I'm going to attend and I'll share what comes out of them.  They appear to be for purpose of gathering community input on regulations of AirBnB although the focus seems to be on "event hosting" rather than standard guest stays.  

When and where are the meetings? I live in Norfolk I would like  to attend.

@Sherry21

Updated Nov 2017 - there are two town halls coming up in Norfolk about pending AirBnB legislation.  One is Mon Nov 13th 6pm at Pretlow Libary.  Other is Thurs Nov 16th at Virginia Festival Building.  You can find more on the Coastal Virginia Home Sharing Club site on the external Meet Up website.

Joseph52
Level 1
Virginia, United States

This is a good idea...

I agree 100% Would love to participate!

Donna37
Level 5
Gourhel, France

Count me in to any meeting for AirBnB host informational meetings in Virginia. As we expand undoubtably we will be subject to closer scrutiny and so need to be informed citizens and hosts.

has there been anything done to this?  has it been voted, yes or no?  in San Francisco with Prop F it was voted down and so AirBnB (or something similar) can operate and support the people.  whatever happened to entrepreneurial spirit that the US is known for?  now local states/government is wanting to shut us down, criminilize, and heavily fine those trying to make ends meet?  or those wanting to try new things to where they can help themselves and help others along the way.  as a consumer... i want options.  i want options other than these big hotel chains that is probably fueling the fire.  i hope the people can be heard in making a statement and put a stop to such a rediculous legislation.

Perlita1
Level 2
Plano, TX

I have a home in norfolk VA am interested in someone managing it as an airbnb for me. I live in TX and have had too many issues with long term rentersTHANKSpearlde@hotmail.com

@Perlita1 there are a few co-hosts now available in Norfolk and Va Beach - you can reach out to them on the Coastal Virginia Home Sharing Club site on Meet Up external website. 

Many of them are fellow hosts and might be listed in the co-hosting section on AirBnB.

Hi, would like to ask about if the new short term rental legislation in Norfolk, Va is coming into effect on 2019? and if the new rules is finalised? and how to register?

thanks

osman