Volusia county Florida local tax

Gene-and-Lisa0
Level 2
Ormond Beach, FL

Volusia county Florida local tax

New listing and I don't see a way to control the tax amount charged. Volusia county want 6.5% and Florida state wants 6%, so a total of 12.5%. How can I make that happen, or do I need Airbnb staff to custom enter the percentage in? Thanks in advance! 

Gene

13 Replies 13
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Gene-and-Lisa0 The good news is that Airbnb is already collecting the Florida state tax and the Volusia county tax.  

On a PC go to your listing calendar and select a range of dates to see what a guest would pay for that time period.  Here's an example:

What do guests pay_.jpeg

Click on the "What do guests pay?" and you will then get a breakdown of the cost including Airbnb's service fee and taxes. 

The next screen should look like this; 

What guests pay 2.jpeg

Then hover over the question mark next to Occupancy Taxes and Fees.  There you should see not only Airbnb's service fee but also the taxes Airbnb is collecting on your behalf for Florida and Volusia. 

Hope this helps!

I can see that they are collecting both taxes but would like to know what happens with the Volusia County part that they collect? Do they send it to the county, and, if not, where is it?

Cate12
Level 2
New Smyrna Beach, FL

What a HUGE relief! 

Maggie159
Level 1
Austin, TX

Hey Guys, 

I am looking to list my Dad's place in Volusia (get it off or VRBO), and I'm clear that AirBnB is collecting these taxes, but I'm confused if they are PAYING them for the host. So as far as I read they are paid for the State per an agreement, but must the host file the Occupany (Resort) taxes still? I am assuming the amount is collected and paid out but what needs to be reported then? Confused! Any help is appreciated.

I am still confused. 

Donna473
Level 3
Ormond Beach, FL

Hi everyone. I see this thread is a few months old and Im hoping that you have more insight as to how this should be done. Also, I've read that there are restrictions on renting but cant figure out if that applies to renting just a room/bathroom vs. An entire home. Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

Janine180
Level 2
Winter Springs, FL

I am also going through this.  Volusia county does not have an agreement with the Florida Revenue department.  At the moment the tax collected by Airbnb is the State tax pluse 0.5%.  6% still needs to be remitted to Volusia county and paid online.  

You are responsible for collecting a total of 12.5% tax; 6% is remitted to the County of Volusia Tourist Development Tax office. The additional 6.5% is remitted to the Florida Department of Revenue. Please make sure that your rental agent/company is collecting and remitting the tax.  

From what I am seeing we have to register with the State to get a sales tax number then remit the tax to Volusia County  https://www.volusia.org/services/business-services/revenue-services/tourist-and-convention-developme...

Also working through this. Would love to keep in touch to see if you are seeing the same information.  We have to pay the Volusia county tax by the 20th of the following month that rentals are paid out by Airbnb.  Volusia county opted not to be included in the states collection of this type of tourism tax - very unfortunate.  If you do not pay you will face a fine and have to back pay taxes.  There is a battle occuring in Daytona Beach over short term rentals.  Make sure you consider the 6% tax that you have to pay when determining the amount you will rent your property out for.

I am a little confused. When I read Airbnb rules on taxes, they claim they charge our renter the local occupancy tax of 6.5% - I saw it when I tried to do a special offer - they charged my renter the occupancy tax of 6.5% , that leaves the Florida State tax of 6% - but you think its the opposite, airbnb pays the state tax and we pay the occupancy tax - but like I read from someone else, how do they pay the local tax if they don't have my account info, etc. Can you clarify more? Thanks so much

After re reading everything I better understand it now. I see what you are saying Janine - Looks like airbnb pays the state sales tax of 6.5% on our behalf and we pay Volusia county the 6%. I have registered and recieved the state for the sales & use cert. I use that to register with Volusia county, which I have. I think I'm good. I am confirming all this with my accountant.

Airbnb please make this a much easier process and collect the entire 12.5 percent just as VRBO does.  VRBO pays the state sales tax directly to the state of Florida and remits the volusia county tax portion to the owner.  The owner is responsible to file and pay the 6 percent tax to Volusia County. 

Why are you making this so difficult with the specail offer???  It is difficult and confusing to the owner and renter.

Do the right thing and collect the full 12.5 percent just as you have done in the past and make two payments one to the owner and the other to the State.....So simple!!!!

Julia923
Level 1
Edgewater, FL

I’m a CPA and I totally agree with you.  This is a simple process of charging the right per cent in Volusia County, Florida which is 12.5%.  Of the 12.5 per cent, the State of Florida gets 6.5 per cent (6% for the State, 1/2 % for the County) then Volusia County gets an tourist tax(occupancy tax) for another 6 per cent.  So, I don’t also know why Airbnb has any problems with collecting the County Tax of 6 per cent and turning it over to the homeowner

Hi Julia,

I am a homeowner and also an AIBNB host.  I just got in the mail the forms from Volusia  TDT Tourism Development Tax forms.  I am confused beyond normal here... Maybe you can make it more clear.  How are we to remit this TDT tax from guest?   I thought Airbnb was taking out all the tax's necessary for us here in Florida to HOST... Automatic remittance..? HOw do we get the guest to pay this extra tax?  Call me please. I would love to do coffee... 770-873-0387..  It would be nice to meet and have some new airbnb friends down here.  I just moved here in November 2018...

Take care,

Honey Secunda

Edward352
Level 1
Nashville, TN

I just posted my rental unit on AIrBnB and have received two requests to book but I do not see anywhere that AirBnB is holding out any tax - Florida state tax or Volusia county tax. Is there somewhere I need to add it to my listing? I have been advising guests that they are responsible for these when they request to book but I thought it should be listed somewhere in the listing of the unit as well?

Thanks