panoramic photos

Chris93
Level 1
Paphos, Cyprus

panoramic photos

Does anyone know what the optimal size for an Airbnb photo is ?

5 Replies 5
Steve32
Level 4
Metro Manila, PH

I just added a panorama pic and it was automatically cropped so it is just a small section in the middle of the panorama.

James377
Level 1
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

Me too. Just could not get it done too. However I can get it done by rotating the panoramic picture vertically, then upload it to airbnb. You can see the entire picture, but the picture is tilted, so you kinda need to turn your head a bit to see it. I am leaving it like that. at least potential guests can at least see the full photos. 

if anyone has a better solution, please email me at jameswkyip@gmail.com. thanks. 

Hey, here is exactly how it works. Do not upload from pc. If your file is on pc, carry it to your phone. Upload from phone. (probably has to be iphone) I have not checked this for tablets, but it definitely works from iphone. My picture was taken via digital camera about 120 angle panorama,  jpg or png format will do. I have not checked for panorama taken with iphone. Iphone has some different panorama formats. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Steve32 @James377

Hi I know it is an old post of Chris's but this probably has some relevance, Chris said...what is the optimum size for a photo for Airbnb. Now I am not talking about panoramas because the system won't handle them it will just crop to a standard format size but if you reduce the pixel count enough it will retain the entire image, just not fill the format size......

Ok, most phones and cameras now utilise a megapixel count of somewhere between 12-20. Now if you shoot a vertical pic at 20 Mg you are going to end up with an image size 4608 x 3456 pixels which equates to 3.3 Mbtes. This is too big for the Airbnb software to handle so we have to look at what is going to give the best resolution and still be comfortably inside the software limits and I suggest that is a frame size of 1700 x 1300 which equates to a 700Kb file. The software will handle up to 1 Mb, but this appears to be the best balance in terms of size and speed.

Now how you achieve this, if you are using PC in Windows 7, (I am sorry, I know nothing about Mac) you open that picture file in 'Paint' and click 'Resize'. You will be faced with this box....

Resize image.png

Click on 'Pixels' and change the vertical value from 4608 to 1608 and the horizontal component will automatically revert to 1260, (the other way round for horizontal pictures). You can simply exit and click save, or if you wish to also retain the original size click on 'save as' and add something to the file name. That way you will have both, side by side, the original and the resized image. 

Now you have an image that is still of excellent quality to insert into your photos without taking forever to happen. I am sorry if I am stating the bleedin obvious here as some people will say, but it is amazing how many hosts are not aware of how to resize an image, and this question crops up frequently....'why can't I upload my photos to my description'!

I hope this is what you were after Steve and James....and if you are still with us, Chris.

Cheers.....Rob

didn't work for me. 😕 i changed the pixels as suggested.