What do you include in a welcome message?

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What do you include in a welcome message?

Welcome Message.jpg

I know many of you send a welcome message to guests who book, and this is sometimes the first interaction you’ll have with them. 

Some of our members here in the Community have mentioned that they use this opportunity to underline the House Rules, whilst others prefer to use it as a chance to get to know a little more about a guest’s reasons for staying. Perhaps you direct them to the local attractions in your area, or let them know to bring their swimsuit if you have the facilities. 

What do you like to include in your welcome message? Do your guests respond right away?

48 Replies 48
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

My welcome message is really just a thank you and show the guest that I am responsive and available.

I craft my welcome message to each individual guest. It goes something like this:

Hi {Guest,} thanks for booking! {Insert something relating to the guest's initial message} A little closer to {arrival date} I will send you a message with the important info like the check in instructions, parking directions, etc. In the meantime, please reach out with any questions. 

Thanks again, 

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 11.18.56 AM.png

Very few people respond to it since I don't ask any particular questions unless the guest has left out some important information. But that's okay with me as I know it makes a difference in the guest's overall experience.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is a great template @Emilia42, I love the personal touches along with the reassuring info. I guess it's good if guests don't reply with questions as that means everything is clear, and you're right that just a simple message like this will really make the guest feel reassured about their stay and help to set the mood right before they even arrive 😊

Do you have a template for the pre-check-in message?

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

My Welcome message looks like this:

Dear [Guest name],

Thank you for your AirBnB reservation. Your requested dates of Sunday, XXXXX, 2020 through Saturday, XXXXX, 2020 have been added to our Cabin calendar.

Two weeks before your arrival date, our Welcome Package with the address, driving directions, front door lockbox access code and other important information about our Cabin will be forwarded to you. This will be a printable PDF.

To learn what is happening in Asheville while you are visiting, we can recommend two websites: RomanticAsheville.com and ExploreAsheville.com. These sites are excellent resources and have up to date information about music events, plays, festivals, hiking, restaurant availability, etc.

We look forward to your visit; please let us know if you have any questions.

Guests appreciate knowing when I will next be in touch with them, and they look forward to the PDF File that I send via email.  That file contains a review of my house rules, how to use the cabin amenities, and helpful information about shopping, dining and the area attractions.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Lorna170, thanks for sharing, and welcome to the Community, it's great to have you 😊

Great idea to pre-empt the welcome package so guests know to expect it! I also love that you recommend the local events websites as this is the kind of extra touch which can help guests to plan their trip and find fun local activities to do. 

Do many guests comment on the website or reply with questions at all?

Guests have thanked me for the events website information.  Unfortunately some guests (just a few) think that I also populate those websites with information and I get some pretty specific questions about places or events that I cannot answer.  

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I do not have a pre-formated message. I address each individual guest informaly.

My average and most frequent "welcome message" is like

" Hello, I see you have booked ...

I will contact you later, when you are closer to your arrival.

In the meantime, if you have some question, please let me know.

Best Regards "

Just a question: If I forget and I do not say the classic "Thanks for booking...."  do you think it sound impolite or not friendly? 

I would like to hear your opinion! Thanks!

@J-Renato0  I like your message.  I don't think it's impolite and unfriendly not to say "thank you for booking."  It's nice if you say it, but it's not the opposite of nice if you don't.  🙂

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I think your message is very reassuring @J-Renato0🙂 

I agree with @Ann72 here, it doesn't sound impolite if you don't say 'thanks for booking' or similar, as your final sentence shows that you are happy to assist and are opening up the potential for dialogue if guests have questions. Have you had guests comment on this?

Do you generally send the message in English regardless of where guests are coming from?

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Katie  @Ann72

Hi, thanks for the reply 🙂

Portuguese language and culture (my native language) and general english culture has lots of things in common in terms of formality and informality. And also things in common when it comes to pleasantries.

However, in portuguese language, it is not usual to thanks someone because someone buy  something or reserve some listing or whatsoever, unless it is a deal beteween a big company and custumer, meaning, when things gets more formal.

So far no guest has complained about my informal way that I exchange pleasantries.

In english language I see it is usual anyway the "thanks for booking.." .

@Katie 

As for the messages, it depends on each case, depends on the guest. I can answer with fluency in portuguese and english. Usually, most of the Europeans speaks english.  I can also answer in Italian, however making some mistakes that however does not compromise the communication. It is the same with spanish, I make mistakes but I can communicate with spanish speakers.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Ann72 

Thanks for the reply 🙂

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Katie 
I always state the obvious that it is an en-suite on a suburban street. 

KiaOra!

Thanks so much for booking  our wee guest suite  attached to the house on a suburban street with a 3 minute drive to the beach .

Will message you again with your check in details nearer the time . Please let us know if you have any questions.

Kind regards

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Ria16, I like that you reinforce this, just to make sure that guests are clear on the fact that your listing is a private room 😊 Did you find that guests often missed this when you weren't mentioning it?

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Katie  Some people in the past have thought it was a stand alone studio. But there’s a door that separates their half from ours . Also the 3 minute drive doesn’t sound far but when it’s hot you don’t really want to walk for a mile to get to the beach . 🤔

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Ah I see, good to reiterate that just to make sure guests are aware then. 3 minutes sounds super close! But I guess you're right, some people might not be aware of the fact that it takes 20mins or so to to walk it 🏖