What if a guest makes the place unlivable for the next guests?

Patrik14
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

What if a guest makes the place unlivable for the next guests?

Hello,

I understand that as a host I'm insured for damages up to $1 million. But what if a guest breaks something vital, like the shower, or the bed, or forgets to lock the door and there's a breakin, so that the place is not livable when the next guests show up? I haven't set a prep time at the moment, so there's only a 3 hour window for the cleaning guy to do his thing and fix/report any potential damages.

What rights and responsibilities do I and the guests have?

1. Are my guests insured to get another AirBNB for free?
  2. How quickly am I expected to fix, let's say, a broken toilette?
  3. Will I lose the income for the stay if the guests are forced to find another apartment?
  4. Will I get a penalty?
  5. Other important notes?

I appreciate all input 😃

Thanks - Patrik

7 Replies 7
Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

The process, as it currently operates, is for you to fix everything, document it, submit it to Airbnb straight away then call them once a week for 6 months, be promised everything, become increasingly frustrated, then give up and carry on as before. 

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

1. Not really, they cancel yours, you don't get paid, the guest pays for another - this is the most common scenario

2. As quickly as you want to have income from future bookings - no guarantee for you in such cases unless yo have bought a third-party insurance (pretty rare because insurance companies do not seem to likeAirbnb).

3. Possibly yes, it is Airbnb's logic.

4. Unless you fight with case managers not to be penalised, the system might punish you.

5. Check on your guests and use all your senses while hosting.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

#6 - Read what the 'Host Guarantee' actually is and how it works and doesn't; never mind its lovely title.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Patrik14 It all depends on the situation.  If a guest damages your space to the extent that it cannot be reasonably be suitable for the next guest, I would advise you to contact Airbnb as this would likely be covered under Airbnb's Extenuating Circumstance policy. 

Second, be sure to file a claim for damage through Airbnb's Resolution Center.  For best results include photos of the damage, receipts or estimates for repair and any other documentation that would support the amount you are claiming. 

To answer your specific questions: 

1. If the guest needs to stay at another listing, their original payment will either be refunded or transferred as payment for the new booking.  You will not be compensated for this reservation. 

2. If the damage can be repaired, then you will need to file a claim for damages within 14 days or before the next guest checks in.  

3. Yes, if the guest needs to book another space, you will not be paid. 

4. No, if the damage was such that your space becomes unsuitable for the next guest you will not be penalized. 

5. Here are some links that will give you more information: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-is-airbnb-s-extenuating-circumstances-policy

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/170/what-happens-if-my-host-cancels-my-reservation

If you encounter a situation that you describe here and need to cancel a reservation it is always best to discuss your specific situation with Airbnb. 

I hope this helps!

Sorry Clare, the reality does not match the song book. 

@Hugh0 It has for me!

Thanks for the extensive reply and the links. It helps a lot 😃