What is this level thing? Are we Pokemons now?

Maria0
Level 1
West Kensington, London, UK

What is this level thing? Are we Pokemons now?

Well, this is certainly different and quite impersonal... What is this Level thing? Are we back at primary school? Being labelled superhosts or now with numbers? The superhost status is ridiculous too. 

65 Replies 65

@Graeme0in

Thailand

@Graeme16 wrote:

Hi Donna,

You can cancel 3 Instant bookings per year without penalty, just tell them its a double booking on a different website.  This will not show up as a cancelled booking.  They will cancel it for free so to speak.

Will this be true in the new guidelines? I could be wrong but I think you have to have zero cancelations except for extenuating circumstances.  

You need to actually call and speak to an Airbnb case manager to make the cancellation if you have a good reason

( uncomfortable with the guests) or the guests have broken any of Airbnb or your guidelines etc. They will cancel for you without penalty. 

True. But I wish they didn't make you call, wait on hold, and explain yourself to cancel. They don't say that when they tell you can cancel lol. Instant book is a pain in the arse. 

Stephanie1933
Level 10
Christchurch, New Zealand

Thank you @Graeme16  that is very helpful advice.

YOU ROCK DONNA!!!! 

You can keep Instant book on and have your settins so you do not have accept same-day or back to back bookings through your "availability" settings. You can also require advance booking to the number of days you need to avoid running yourself full-tilt boogie hosting.

I use these features because it is too hard to turn my properties for a guest checking out then another checking in the same day - no back to back. 

Also you can change instant booking to meet more requirements than Airbnb's minimum. It keeps those travelers without ratings from instant booking without your approval and you do not loose listing position. 

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Pokes.png

Daniel1
Level 4
Portland, OR

It feels both contrived and manipulative. Humans are simple creatures that look for reinforcement, status, and approval. Advancing in level gets you more status, and the possibility of losing that status encourages you to particpate more. I'm not a big fan of it, as it clutters the message board with people trying to "advance" in level rather than provide value with their comments.

@Daniel1 Hello I think you're absolutely right: to obtain a higher level people are induced to put a lot of comments, though not really necessary and inevitably there is the risk of being repetitive and clutter the board. I believe that the administrator has made this assessment and I do not quite understand what is the goal .....

I work too hard being a superhost with almost 100% bookings to post comments or even read the blogs. This is my first day doing so. It is a complete waste of time, as on social media. I don't care about my level, only the comfort of my guests.

@MelissaR-and-Pau-0, you have an interestig profile name. Is this a verified ID too?

Yes, actually. Airbnb has called me Superhost consecutively every quarter since I started. And the 120 trips in 7 months with 2 to 7 guests per room I've hosted also call me that, evidenced by
paragraph-long happy reviews I get, and new facebook friends to keep in touch over the months.
But mostly, as a pretty young single blond with children in the home, I don't want to attract predators. It's better to appear as a family hosting. I really don't have much time for these chat groups, but thanks for asking! I'm happy to clear that up for you!

@MelissaR-and-Pau-0   Well, if that's not an anchronism in hosting details!!! Why on earth would you put that out there if you wanted to remain 'incognito'....Jeez. I learn something new every day.

How to get 100% bookings. We are fairly new and love what we do. However, we have had some startling experiences with guests and airbnb customer service. We would like to get more inquiries turned to bookings. A guest recently threatened to make things hard for us because she has a lot of friends in Airbnb. We were shocked by this. She wanted me to cancel her reservation for no apparent reason. I politely stated she could do so. Our relationship with airbnb seem to have gone down hill as eell as inquiries what can we do?

A guest can not affect future bookings unless they give you a bad review. If you feel threatened by a guest, call host services. I called a few times for help and the Airbnb staff were always very caring and helpful. Call the 2 numbers to reach a rep (non-emergency number) and explain your situation.

Paulina