What makes a guest great?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

What makes a guest great?

I have been thinking about this a lot. We have hosted almost 100 guest stays now and a few of them really stand out as being awesome guests. 

In addition to leaving our place clean, following rules and communicating well,  the "super guests" do things like wash their towels and fold them with a little note that says "we did these in the laundry so you don't have to." We always leave a treat (food or wine) for our guests and some have left us something in return or a nice note thanking us for the stay. A few have even taken their trash with them rather than leaving it for us to pick up. 

Beyond that, great guests don't lock themselves out because they didn't follow basic instructions (especially more than once) or over-communicate about things that aren't issues ("I don't know what all your light switches turn on. I went around and counted and I can't figure out what one does" ). Great guests have read and understood the house rules and are respectful and courteous. 

We talk a lot about things guests do that are difficult to manage on this board. What have guests done that you really have appreciated or have made them stand out as fantastic guests?

47 Replies 47
Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Fred13  When you read the next topic on the forum about a terrible family, where the child spoiled everything that is possible, you will understand that it was them.)) Sorry for the evil humor, I do not wish such guests to anyone.

The ideal guest-reads my ad carefully, respects the rules of my house, who is always in touch, punctual in arrival, uses bed linen and towels carefully, does not eat in bed), uses appliances carefully and if necessary asks how to use them. Do not mind talking about general topics. Doesn't lose keys) Leaves the apartment in its original form and takes out the trash (and picks up his food from the refrigerator). If there are problems immediately notifies me, and does not require a few days after departure compensation.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

I had a guest last year who was new to Airbnb.  During our pre-reservation exchange, I told her that she should book through Delta Airline's Airbnb site: https://www.deltaairbnb.com so she could earn miles for her stay.  She was so happy to hear that!  When she arrived, she brought me a very nice package of ground coffee as a thank you.  We are still in contact with each other.