Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

What refund to offer for water supply disruption, and no hot water that evening

Judy191
Level 2
Woodville, Australia

What refund to offer for water supply disruption, and no hot water that evening

We have 4 guests staying in a townhouse unit for 2 nights. We live offsite.

Just before our guests arrrived late in the evening, we found and reported a water mains leak bubbling up in the street, near the property. We asked about the likely impact and were told it would be attended within 5Hrs and the entire street would be shut off for about 5 Hrs while it was fixed. I relayed this information to the principle guest by direct phone call at the time of their arrival and she understood that would mean they could have showers immediately, but maybe not in the morning.

The following day they called in the late morning asking how much longer the water would be off as they wanted to have showers before going out, so one of us went over to speak with the workers and get an answer. As it was likely to be another 2Hrs, they went out anyway. 

The unexpected sequal  was a complaint at 11:30pm when they got home and found there was no hot water - it was just running cold. As it is a storage hot water which only heats overnight on a lower tarrif, it seemed to have drained and refilled with cold water during the day. We didn't know this was possible, but the guest thinks as hosts we should have anticipated it and provided an alternative.  We offered showers at our place or to help them find a hotel where they could shower, but they declined as it was late.

We see our only failing as not informing them of the workings of the hot water system, but also wonder if they might have left a hot tap on (with no water flowing) as they went out and drained the tank themselves.

We have allowed them midday checkout for this today, but presuming the hot water has returned to normal overnight, what is a reasonable refund to offer?

We are thinking of a figure about 35% of our earnings for the two nights.

1 Reply 1
Sue-and-Andrew0
Level 4
Johannesburg, South Africa

A tough one... if it were me I'd refund 1 night, as even though it was out of your control it impacted their stay.  I maybe err on the side of over-compensating - but if the guests felt you were fair and took their complaint seriously they will be satisfied.

If you were the guest what would you expect - no showers for 2 days...