What's with the washing up?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What's with the washing up?

I started hosting private rooms in my home just over a year and a half ago and have been very busy ever since. I do not charge a cleaning fee and do not expect my guests to do very much either. They don't need to strip the beds when they leave, put anything in the washing machine, put the rubbish or recycling out, squeegy the shower etc. etc. They have full access to the kitchen, which I am constantly cleaning to keep in a spotless state, so they don't even have to wipe up their crumbs and messes. The only thing I expect them to deal with is their dishes.

Now, this isn't difficult. I have a dishwasher, which I show them when they arrive, so they only need to pop their things in there. Or, if they prefer to wash them by hand, as some do, I show them where the dishsoap is. For a year and a half, this has never been an issue. They might leave the odd glass or cup in their room when they check out, but that doesn't bother me.

In the last few weeks, however, I've had a stream of guests who just leave their dirty dishes by the sink, sometimes piles of them and sometimes on a daily basis. Often they apologise (unprompted), making one excuse or another, so they know they're not supposed to do this, but then just do it again. I usually have more than one set of guests staying at one time, so I can't just leave the dishes there. The kitchen needs to be kept clean and tidy at all times. Plus I have three cats and don't want them tempted onto the counters.

I am not sure what has gone wrong as it was never a problem before but now it seems to becoming the norm. I never complain about it but am starting to feel a bit put upon. Is it unreasonable to expect the guests to take care of their own dishes? 

The other thing that is happening a lot recently is guests eating meals, including greasy takeaways, curries, fish and chips etc. in the bedrooms, which is against my house rules. They are leaving my bedlinens and towels stained with food and even sometimes slopping it on my antique furniture.  Recently I found food sprayed all over the silk curtains. The other day I found a silk lampshade completely splattered with tomato sauce, and I mean covered in it. Who DOES that?!

These guests were all perfectly polite and decent in every other way, but the ironic thing is that several of them gave ME 4 stars for cleanliness (I usually get 5).

Are guests getting worse when it comes to cleanliness or am I just expecting too much?

43 Replies 43
Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

Most of our wonderful guests wash up, bin their rubbish and recycling daily. For the odd few who have no idea, our notice on the fridge 'How to wash up Aussie style without a dishwasher' usually works. You know, 'put in the plug, add dishes, detergent, then hot water, soak while you clean the kitchen then wash, rinse, drain and put away when dry'. Underneath I add that food must be stored the fridge or sealed containers or it will attract garden wildlife inside. Using plates, eating in the kitchen or at the outside table will also avoid invasion. 

Ours is a separate flat so our introduction letter states we inspect before checkout and we joke at check-in how handy mobile phones have become.

Recently I gave a negative review but it wasn't for the delayed checkout or the dishes in the drainer or unwashed stuff in the sink, or the chocolate in the bed, or melted cheese on the mini oven elements, or the unsorted rubbish from the whole stay in the kitchen general mess or general mess, although I photographed it all but it was the butts on the back mat and next to the front door. We allow smoking outside but specifically, ask for butts to be binned daily to avoid poisoning our aged dog or wildlife in our garden.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Marg11most of my guests do wash up and bin their rubbish too. I had just had a run of guests who didn't when I started this thread. It seemed pretty weird to me at the time.

Of course, if you have a separate unit, it's pretty obvious that any mess is the guests'. I share my home, including the kitchen and all bathrooms, with my guests and I have three separate guest rooms so they are sharing with each other too. That means people can pass off their grime as someone else's. I think some people just don't even see the mess that they make themselves.

No problems with guests not washing up/using the dishwasher at the moment (except for the odd wine glass here and there and of course they never put dishes away/empty the dishwasher). However, my current guests do cook a lot and I've given up trying to keep the stove clean. Guaranteed it will be dirty again within a few hours at the most. So, now I just clean it every few days. It doesn't seem to bother anyone but me.

I guess I am used to trying to keep the place spotless because I was doing short-term hosting for quite a while. With long-term guests, especially those that cook a lot, it's really impossible to keep everything sparkling unless you give up your job and become a full time cleaner or can afford to hire one. Now I tend to do a quick surface clean in the kitchen daily but deep clean the communal areas once a week, rotating around the house.

Last night it took me most of the evening to clean two bathrooms because the current guests are quite messy in there. One of them wanted to shower while I was in the middle of this, but I asked her to use another bathroom instead. She seemed quite annoyed, but that's tough really, as it's her mess I'm cleaning up, so I'm not going to clean a large shower AGAIN because she can't be bothered to walk downstairs and use a different (and very nice) one.

I like to keep my guests happy but I'm also not going to let the make my life a misery to do so.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Marg11  PS I'm a smoker but I cannot understand people who leave their cigarette butts strewn around. It drives me crazy. Use an ashtray!

A recent guest was stubbing out his cigarettes in my daffodils until I shoved an ashtray under his nose. The ashtray had been sitting one metre away from him. No idea why he thought my daffodils were a more appropriate home for his butts.

After that, he did use the ashtray but would leave it overflowing into the flowerbeds anyway, or knock it over and not bother to pick it up. He also stained a rug with coffee, but I let it slide. Better to pick your battles. It's not the end of the world.

Alia18
Level 3
Kailua-Kona, HI

I haven’t had guests stay in my quarters. The few times I’ve had to mention something like try and keep your screaming four year old from screaming... they get “ offended” and try and leave four stars. No matter HOW nicely one says “ anything” they get on to leaving less than five stars. 

if I don’t bend over backward and provide 100% kona coffee. Fruit. Flowers. Beach gear. Never say a word about them being noisy .. entering wrong yard/ gates. Etc. we take a change in getting less than 5 stars. 

I’m wondering about home away. Vrbo. Etc. do they have same 5 star demands? Some people say , “ no one is 5 star.. that’s perfect” .. others rate ME on neighbors making the out of character noise ( party?) or the tv going out ( 2 other big screen TVs). It’s endless. 24/7 job of making sure the current gursts.. as well as ones checking in tomorrow. And ones that recently left are all 100% happy. Checking in early. Late. Forgetting items. Leaving luggage until airport time. Etc etc. it’s a full time job making sure four listings are happy. 

hi @Alia18 

other OTA has their strength according to different kind of people needs and comfortableness.. 

but just to make some thing clear, nobody expect any one with a 5 star rating all the time, it is read as a hoax or a new listing

you can not please every body.. just most of them any way..

cheers

Jeffrey Bong

Hmm

I have several listings. Five stars 1.5 years. Then wham. A 4 star. Then 3 star. Review . All because of neighbor noise. Pot smoking in another unit? 
other review. One tv out of 3 quit working. The ceiling fans chains rusted. It’s ocean air. Hawaii. I’m looking for someone to live on property. Check all lights. TVs. Every check out.  Cleaners don’t think to do. I guess. 
sick of being perfect. But that’s the reality. All working. All quiet. All clean. All gorgeous. All bargain rates. Yikes it’s a lot. 

Awesome star performance..

but in third world country, probably get bullied a lot to keep up to get that star rating.. or maybe is just me.. but love the achievement.. it must be hell and hard work really..

Jeffrey Bong
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alia18I have three listings and I agree it is a full time job. I have two day jobs already before the hosting and travel a lot for work, so that's why I now mostly host long-term guests (1-6 months). I do take shorter term guests in between  but my absolute minimum stay is now 7 nights instead of 2. 

Of course, there is still plenty of work to do, such as constantly cleaning the kitchen (very few people actually clean up properly after themselves even if they think they have) but dealing with less enquiries, correspondence, turn overs and check ins has really freed up a lot of time for me as well as enabled me to travel more often. Plus the place doesn't have to be spotless the entire time. Long-term guests expect more of a home than a hotel.

I know a lot of people are scared of long-term guests and put off by the occasional disaster story, but I'm pretty sure disasters are more likely with short-term guests that you have less of a relationship with. You just have to be picky.

I've only had two long-term guests who were really problematic and I managed to get both of those out early without too much fuss or loss of income as most of the nights got booked again and by better guests.

Anyway, hosting short term guests in three listings was no longer sustainable for me. I was always on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Once I took on my second day job, something had to give.

YES!
I have hired a manager ( gets 20% and very few bookings so far) AND I put my ohana on zumper and rented it out for $3000 a month for 3 months. A couple and their cat while their house is being renovated after a burst pipe flooded their home. 

I plan on renting out my ohana for two months AUG and SEPT for 2500 a mo, ( an additional bedroom even added on), but those are HOT months...off season and then they move into my house as a one bedroom with lanai and I can STILL rent out my master suite with own entrance Oct, Nov, Dec,Jan and FEB the high season in Hawaii. So a three month couple and a 10 mo family. PLUS I did hire a manager, but not too happy with the listing, the date  mix ups, and I have no idea about the money. I am TIRED of being glued to the phone, to answer simple questions, like do you have matches for the BBQ as it won't light. YUP they are up in the cupboard. Do you have a tea kettle? In Kona, Hawaii I do not have a tea kettle in the ohana. There is NO ac. A tiny three burner flat top electric stove. A rice cooker. A keurig  . A reg drip coffee maker. A microwave. (???????).

I got 3 star review as he complained about "check in". He checked in with the text ABB instructions, with code 2018. Later, when he came back from dinner ( drinks????) He put in 2019 and it wouldn't work. I didn't hear the phone ringing as late at night in CA, wasn't on the ABB app with it's special LOUD chime, and he figured it out in 20 min ( read the ABB texts>) Then said CHECK IN was not good, as I wasn't "available". Had nothing to do with check in. I thought he was IN and good for the night. I know that ABB chime in my deepest sleep and would have responded immediately. He called me as my phone number is posted by the RING door bell ( that never worked in Hawaii w Spectrum ) .

VERY frustrating. Yes. I take one night bookings. They go , I pay my cleaner, and they want the place for one night. But I am TIRED of the stress after 2 years. Gave it to a pro broker. I don't have many bookings and they booked when I was returning to Hawaii.  So now cancel that reservation or re arrange my plans, me coming with two pets.

Tired of spending all day, every day on a computer in Hawaii or when I'm in CA. I know other 5 star hosts don't answer immediately. Say, look at my online information or the info in your unit. You'll find everything there! They don't spend ANY personal time on phone, texts or in person with them. Yet, they still get five stars. So I will watch and learn. After the 3 stars I almost sold the whole house. Yet, they'd "stay again" and had a "pretty good" time after figuring out the remote controls for the ceiling fans. They were given fresh kona 100% of course, coffee beans, fresh flowers, Calamari sandwich they LOVED and I got 3 stars. They spent ONE night. I did write him back with our texts circled in red. The code is 2018 ( it was Oct 2019) . I've since had it changed to something everyone can remember.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alia18the Airbnb App is flaky to say the least. Sometimes I get notifications, sometimes I don't. Quite often it tells me I have notifications when I don't. I have reported this several times to Airbnb CS, but they just told me to delete the App and reload it, which I've done a few times but it didn't work, nor did it work when I got a new phone and downloaded it on that. I know it's not just me being stupid as I have had SOOOO many guests telling me they have the same problem. 

So, that means you have to keep checking your Airbnb messages 'just in case', but of course one does not expect to have to do that in the middle of the night because a guest can't remember the code (were they drunk?).

I am very happy to pay for a service that takes some of the workload off, especially if it is good value for money and that doesn't mean cheap, it means good value. If that brings in a higher profit, then that's a bonus. For years, I had great, reliable and affordable cleaners. Unfortunately, almost as soon as I started Airbnb, I have found it incredibly difficult to find one (and I have tried agencies etc.) so now I just do it all myself. 

If anyone knows of a competent and RELAIABLE cleaner who will come to South West London, do please let me know (but please no messages from potential co-hosts who expect to share 50% of the total accommodation fees, because that's not going to happen).

Manasui0
Level 10
Bali, Indonesia

@Huma0 

Hi.. 

It seems nice to host in your country.. there are bi-standard all over the world with its own pluss and minuses ..

aiming for perfection often gets you stressed out and frustrated more easily, in a long run might not so healthy for you .. a four star is not so bad.. a three star is bad.. people have their own agenda and perception, they might be mad just because the way we host.. or demand from the guest..

I have a use condom al over the walls once and it really means disrespectful for me.. 

how ever.. I have not seen you page.. but make the rules simple and short so is easy to memorise and does not seem up-tide..

eg: please no food and smoking in rooms, and clean up your dishes .. you know the standards of honour

short simple, is hard, but it is what we do in earning.. our priority is our guest.. make it easier for them to understand..

every thing else use the penalties protocols.. that should teach them a lesson.. charge them charge them double.. at some thing is clearly disrespect..

I believe you can dislike some one but never disrespect others..

most people don't mind the stars is what people says in their review touch touches the soul.. 

I believe you are a great host.. but taking a chill time usually helps.. it does not mean take a holiday, but maybe as simple as a walk in the park and get your mind out of work.. it gets really frustrated from time to time.. focus on what is important than the stars .. is just a perception..

your believe in your self and the good with in the intention is more valuable than any stars review by the guest..

there are no perfection

only getting better on it

cheers 

with love,

Jeffrey Bong
Joy127
Level 2
Brisbane City, AU

Hi I recently stayed with a host when in another town and they charged a $10 a night refundable cleaning fee. They said it worked for them as they had a similar problem with the kitchen and the pool area as they had 2 rooms on ground floor rented so multiple guests. If guests kept it all clean they were refunded this fee, if not then it was kept.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Joy127 . How did the host know which guests had made the mess and therefore which guests to charge?

I usually have a fair idea of who does what in my house as I live with the guests, but I'm not watching them all the time so I can't always be 100% sure. Also, it's very easy for guests to blame each other when something goes wrong. I've had damages for example that each guest denies knowledge of. It's usually quite obvious who did it, but unless it's in their individual bedrooms, it's very difficult to accuse them if they are not going to admit it in the first place.

Then again, perhaps the refundable cleaning fee simply works because it motivates guests to keep the place tidy. Most guests will save money where they can.

They explained on check in their policy and asked that they be messaged or texted if the place was messy. We did this twice to them so it was clear it wasn’t us. They asked on check in if we smoked nad we didn’t but the other guests smoked and  butts were in the pool area. The hosts obviously checked things out and our fee was refunded. The hosts lived upstairs and downstairs was the shared kitchen and outdoor entertaining area so the hosts were around which probably made it easier