After Being Assaulted By A Guest - I Was Banned From AirBNB

Charles321
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

After Being Assaulted By A Guest - I Was Banned From AirBNB

Hello,

I cant believe that I am actually having to write this post! My wife and I started renting out our spare bedroom on AirBNB in the new year - we have had around 13 guests - all of whom have left glowing, five star reviews. We were having a great time hosting, so far so good!

In March, we took a booking from a gentlemen with no reviews and no picture, we didnt want to discriminate against him so we decided to take the booking. Before arriving, he made various bizzare phone calls asking generally strange questions.

On arriving at the property, we discovered that he was not alone - he had brought a woman along with him. He stunk of alcohol and chip fat and was instantly rude on entering the property. Although he had only rented a private bedroom, he expected me to not be in the property - he told me that I could be dangerous and make sexual advances toward his female guest.

At this point, I asked him to leave the property - he called me "a little **bleep**", punched me in the face, shoved me against the wall and I had to physically remove him from the property. 

After Airbnb completed their investigation, they have decided to ban me from the website. Ridiculous.

Thanks,

C

11 Replies 11
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Charles321

Did you involve the Police?

David

Hi David - Yes I did involve the police. I sent a report along to AirBNB. I am totally disgusted by the way I have been treated. Totally cast aside! 

Well I have seen similar cases on here, sorry no idea what you can do about it, obviously your wife can set up an account and host.

David

Hi David,

Thanks so much for your reply. I had heard storys about AirBNB being awful towards hosts, but I assumed it would never happen to me! Its ashame as it was great to have an extra income. 

I just cannot believe they are banning me over a new member with 0 reviews!

I will keep you updated. 

Thanks,

C

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

The conflict resolution process needs updating. Put a calm and considered post on Host Voice! Judge and jury.

I was also assaulted by a guest. Here is a video of the assault as well. https://photos.app.goo.gl/WbmWue7Ze1eZgeyG9

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Charles321 

@Duane4 

It's reasons like this that bad guests get away with things and continue to use the platform and wreck havoc on other hosts. Hosts are punished for protecting themselves and their properties.

I have had many guests sneak in extra guests. I have learned through hosts like Duane that it is not worth confronting such dishonest people about this. If they can be dishonest to have people trespass, they can be dishonest and make false accusations about you as a host. Therefore, I don't confront such activity unless there is a party underway.

10 days ago, I had trashy guests sneak in 4 extra guests, smoke marijuana inside all day, broke our bed and the door. They refused to check-out. Airbnb didn't even bother calling them to ask them to leave after several phone calls to them. i finally arrived at 9:00pm which was 10 hours past check-out and asked them to leave. Placing myself in danger. I then contacted airbnb for the 5th time about this guest and blamed them for letting this happen because they did not bother calling the guest to ask them to leave. And these guests are still on the platform after having caused $3,000 in damages. They will do this again because the case managers failed to do their jobs and didn't even escalate this to safety. I filed a host guarantee claim 7 days ago and still have not heard from anyone.

The guest goes by the name of ** and is from Toronto. Her number as registered in her profile is **. If you come across this guest, please do not accept or host them. This trashy guest gets to stay on the platform yet good hosts such as Duane and Charles get banned for nothing.

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

@Sean433 

Sorry to hear you had to deal with that sh*tty situation, but as we all know by now, we can't expect anything more from Airbnb. 

For all their lofty crisis control PR initiatives, blasting out to the world's media how they're introducing all these new policies and practices to curb the "Airbnb party house" phenomenon, those of us who have to deal with larger groups, are acutely aware that little to nothing has changed in relation to how "party guests" are treated. They can still pretty much get away with whatever they want, whenever they want, and if they cause so much trouble and disruption/destruction that the host has no option but to evict them, there's every chance that they'll get their refund,  get rehoused elsewhere with some other poor unsuspecting host, and in most cases, even receive a nice little bonus on top for their "inconvenience". No change there at all. 

"This trashy guest gets to stay on the platform yet good hosts such as Duane and Charles get banned for nothing"

And ironically, not only Charles and Duane have been banned from the platform, but also @David126 from Como above, who was one of the most regular, polite and helpful contributors on the CC since not long after it opened. David was also a long-term superhost, with an excellent track record, yet woke up one morning to find all his future bookings cancelled (without warning or explanation), followed shortly afterwards by his account being delisted entirely - just like the countless thousands of other exemplary long-term hosts and superhosts who have also been suddenly and arbitrarily banned from the platform, with no reasons given. 

Because that's how Airbnb treats the loyal, hardworking hosts on whose backs they built their fortunes - while guests like your gal ** get to carry on causing misery and hardship for hosts, with total and complete impunity. That's Airbnb for ya. Nothing has changed, nothing will  change (except maybe to deteriorate even further, as word gets around rogue guests that despite all the company's media blatherings, its still perfectly ok for guests to behave however they d*mn well please, with Airbnb's full  support and blessing)

**[Name hidden due to privacy reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

You should see the email they send to guests after they remove your account. Let me see if I can find a copy of it. So not only do they dump you but they also trash your reputaion to all future bookings that you had. Of course it's sent from ABB with '♥' to all your possible future guests so they know ABB is on their side protecting them.

Subj: An important message from Airbnb’s Trust & Safety team

Hi I,

We’re reaching out because you were recently in contact with an account that was removed for violating the Airbnb Terms of Service.

Airbnb will never ask you to verify a listing or pay for anything outside of our site, through email, or through a third-party booker. If you sent money outside of Airbnb, you may have paid for a fraudulent reservation. [link that has to be removed to 'trust & security' , and we’ll recommend next steps.

If someone asked you to communicate directly by email or through Facebook, or copy and paste a URL ([another example link]...) into a new browser window, or otherwise pay or communicate outside of the Airbnb website or app, we ask that you stop communication with them immediately.

If you did share personal information, like a password, please update your password immediately. If you use that same password for any other accounts (like your email), we recommend changing your password there too.

Visit our Help Center for more information about [link to help on figuring out scams] and [help link on keeping account safe]. You can always [link to report a profile or listing] directly through the Airbnb website or app.

Thanks,
The Airbnb Trust & Safety team

Sent with ♥ from Airbnb

‌A‌i‌r‌b‌n‌b‌,‌ ‌I‌n‌c‌.‌,‌ ‌8‌8‌8‌ ‌B‌r‌a‌n‌n‌a‌n‌ ‌S‌t‌,‌ ‌S‌a‌n‌ ‌F‌r‌a‌n‌c‌i‌s‌c‌o‌,‌ ‌C‌A‌ ‌9‌4‌1‌0‌3‌

The name of the guest was hidden after I posted it. I wanted to alarm other hosts about them. Now they can continue to commit crimes and vandalize other hosts properties. Too bad. And their profile is still up.

The behaviour by AirBNB is tyipcal of those that are machiavellian and/or narcissists. When it was announced that they had an application that was supposed to look at online posts and it would figure out if the guest had those tendencies my first question was if they tested the app on the CEO so they'd know if it worked or not. If it gave an alert they could have some faith in it working.