Why Aibnb says they will delete false reviews but they don't?

Miguel559
Level 2
Montreal, CA

Why Aibnb says they will delete false reviews but they don't?

According to Airbnb policies, the reviews should reflect the real guest experience.

Constantly we get bad reviews for reasons that are not what the guest really experienced.

Maybe the most common reasons are:

We said NO to a guest request of doing something against house rules, or we opened a claim because the guest broke or damaged something.

Then the guest is very angry and goes to the feedback and give 1 star to everything and writes a bad review.

Somethimes is OBVIOUSLY a false review if you see all the others reviews.

Shouldn't Airbnb contact these guests giving very bad reviews to listings with average 5 stars to know what happened?

I mean, if it was really the hosts' fault, maybe Airbnb what to give a feedback to the hosts and some advice to improve.

19 Replies 19
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Miguel559

I and other users do not get to see the star ratings guests have given you. The only information we get to see is what the guest has written and any response you might have given.

As I said in my last post the only review I could find in your 21 that was even slightly critical of you was the review I mention in my previous post, and on what we are reading there, Airbnb will not remove that review. You may think that review is false, but all the rest of us will see is, that was this guests feeling about their stay....nothing more, they did not accuse you of anything, they did not say you cheated them, abused them,  just that they found your place small and had an odour to it.....that was all!

Miguel, you are going to come across these guests from time to time. I had one not long ago that called me and my wife creepy because we did not pull our window blinds down while she was walking around our house garden....she said we were 'spying' on her and she left!

There are going to be guests who upset you, there will be guests who will make your blood boil. 

But the measure of your character Miguel, is how you handle these curved balls that come at you. You can be a diplomatic host and say you don't agree and neither would any of your other guests....or you can make a big 'song and dance' production out of it and earn yourself the reputation of being a 'brittle' host and one who is easily offended!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4

As I mention, when I opened the support case with Airbnb I asked them to see the private chat and see other details that are not public but clearly point to the real reason behind the low rating and bad review. I encouraged the case manager to try to contact the guest only to ask for clarification on some low-rated categories not matching the comment.

In my opinion, they are not really interested on removing reviews or validate the veracity behind them. For obvious reasons they will remove any explicit ofense.

Thank you for your comment 🙂 I really like the way you said it.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Miguel559

Miguel, I am not saying I disagree with you, sometimes support can seem unfair and sometimes it can downright hurt you, particularly when you don't have a lot of reviews to play with and some turkey comes out of left field with an overall 2 star or something like that.

The issue here Miguel, and I can talk with a bit of authority because I have worked in Airbnb support in the past.......their hands are tied! That review does not contravene content guidelines.

Every day there are 20,000 + hosts that want a review removed for some reason or other, and if CX give in to all of these requests.....what's the point of having a review system at all, might just as well do away with it if all we get to keep are our stellar reviews. 

I am not saying what has happened to you is right but, Miguel, mate, you are better than this. you are a superhost, just take the odd 'black eye' and get on with what you do well.....host!

Cheers.....Rob

Emma744
Level 1
New York, United States

Hello all I am new to air Bnb this is my fifth month I had all 5 stars and became a super host this month I had a terrible and fake review saying that there was no pans utensils that I had roaches and everything was negative I don’t know what to do my previews reviews were all 5 stars. Please advice. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Emma744 unless you have evidence that this review was made in retaliation of something the only thing you can do is leave a public response. But make sure you are calm and short in your response. Be factual and polite keeping in mind that the responce isn't for the person who left the review but for your future guests.