Why Location is important.

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Why Location is important.

I know there are hundreds of threads on this topic and I have posted many times. But as I seem to take a different view to many of my fellow hosts (and I enjoy the banter– please be gentle!). Let me explain why in my humble opinion location is important and why we are missing the point.

I should also declare. Location is probably my properties best asset and I do not want to lose the high rating.

We are guilty as hosts,  of not looking at location from the guest perspective. As a traveller disappointed on numerous occasions by  locations not  meeting expectations,  it is not what is shown, it is what is not shown.  It is the subjective issues like neighbourhood, community, convenience, peacefulness, accuracy,  ambiance, desirability, connectivity and access etc.   And we all make those value judgments (based on price) differently, instantly and automatically.  

So my argument goes. Guests mostly base the location rating not on the map location (which is clear to see) or description; but the gut feel, softer issues listed above and this is very useful  information for fellow traveller.   

53 Replies 53
Steven65
Level 10

Please tell. Seriously! 

Hm @Susan17 it seems snoozed, no dates available at the moment. Yes, it looks like not very comfortable place, but not cheep either, 75€... ok, maybe for London this is cheap I don't know...

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Oops, apologies... right host, wrong listing! It was one of his other equally dire "double studio flats" in Willesden that came up... 

https://abnb.me/mDF8oagHoT

@Susan17

yes, it doesn't have very good ratings but it is totally full except those few dates.... it seems they rent it long term too.

Not really for the top search position 😞

@Branka-and-Silvia0

I used to live in London and am a regular visitor, and have been booking apartments in London through Airbnb since 2010. Over the years, I've done countless searches and wishlisted at least 100 different places there. In fact, I used to love nothing more than to sit down and browse through the London listings of an evening, just to check out all the cool and quirky places that suited my taste, and my needs. I've even been known to book a weekend there, just so I could stay at an Airbnb I'd found that I really liked. Back in those days though, they still had the keyword search, so all I had to do was type in "riverside" and "great views" and the search instantly returned lots of listings that were perfect for me. Not like the convoluted, time-consuming mess it is nowadays. 

My criteria were always the same - 1 bedroom apartment, mid-range, as close as possible to the river, great views, and I have purposely only ever booked with small, traditional hosts (always avoided the "professionally" managed places like the plague) So considering Airbnb is always telling us that each search is specifically tailored to the searcher's individual preferences, browsing/booking patterns etc, and considering they should have a ton of data on my preferences from the 20+ listings I've already booked in London, it looks like their AI and "best match" algorithms are failing miserably if that's what they're offering me as my top choice! (And the rest weren't much better)

Steven65
Level 10

It is truly bizarre that these can be highest ranked. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Susan17  Crazy.  I'll be looking for your post on the rankings, our listing, despite having rave reviews, has become nearly invisible in the searches.  Sad.

I'll try to get it up tonight @Mark116. What's really sad about it though is that all the evidence I've gathered, over a long period of time, suggests that  the growing lack of visibility for many small, well-performing entire home hosts is not an oversight, or an aberration - it's entirely intentional. 

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Steven65, I can appreciate your points both as a host and as a guest. I also think a lot of it depends on how honest and how well the host describes the location.  

It can also be very subjective based on what the guest wants. I very clearly state in my listing a few times that my place is "A beautiful 20-minute drive to town."  I also state that the hiking trails "Are across the valley from the cabin."  I also describe my cabin as being quiet and rural as well as clearly show the tremendous mountain views. For most people, having a few days with the views would be enough for a 5-star location rating, but for others, they want them and the peace along with a 5-minute drive I presume.

I have gotten 94% 5-star ratings for location, with 6% being 4-stars, one mentioning he would have given a 5 in that category if the hiking trails had been directly outside the door. Of course, the listing clearly states they are not. 

This subjectivity is the reason why most of us dislike the category. 

Steven65
Level 10

Hi John. I agree, the location rating is subjective, taste and opinion? But does that make it invalid? Thanks. 

@Steven65, to a degree, yes, if a host has done his best to present an accurate picture and set the tone of the surrounding environment. 

Steven65
Level 10

Hosts do not present an accurate picture or set the tone. Misleading exterior photos and omissions are common. Why would a host (or hotel, or restaurant etc) show the bad stuff? That is why we need it on reviews. 

Steven65
Level 10

@John1080 Hi john. I should have said, "many" (not implying all ) hosts do not present an accurate picture or set the tone. 

@Steven65, yes I'm actually in agreement with you mostly. If the place is in a bad neighborhood, most hosts will not want to highlight that, of course. However, if the 'bad' is simply a 20-minute drive to town to get groceries and gas, and that has been thoroughly mentioned in the listing, then it's a bit unfair to receive a lower mark for that. 

Steven65
Level 10

@John1080 Exactly.  No property is perfect and It is understandable that we highlight the best features. In my case, the flat has 3 flights of stairs (guests are required to acknowledge it before booking). I have also booked properties where the photographs are misleading and imply a different location.