Sob stories

Debra220
Level 1
North Charleston, SC

Sob stories

Has anyone been getting guests with reservation requests for over 30 days usually from women claimimg that they are in a bad relationship? I have gotten at least 2 where the woman claims she is in a bad relationship and then they want to talk to you before they confirm the reservation. Then the other day I got a reservation request from a man requesting to stay 59 nights. He claime that he got a job in my city and needed a place to stay until he and his wife could find housing. He asked for a discount in the rate which I told hime I could give him. Then he wants to talk to me on the phone. He tried twice to give me his number and I told him the site doesn't allow exchanging contact information before the reservation is confirmed. He reserved 1 night and asked me to call him so we could discuss the reservation. I insisted on keeping everything on the site but he was insisting that I call him. I declined the reservation because he clearly had issues following rules. I also thought it might have been a scam

7 Replies 7
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Sorry @Debra220, but it all sounds dodgy........ Don’t break your own rules, don’t let the guest govern and rule. I’m glad you declined his reservation as well. He sounded like a bully.

Thoughts:

1. I also wouldn’t be offering discounts without knowing more about the person and especially across a long term rental. I offer a weekly discount for STRs, but no one can stay longer than three weeks. This way we can negotiate extending stays along the way, but I’m not stuck with a “bad fitting” guest and feeling resentful.

2. Also if you add more images of the shared spaces, guests or scammers will have no reason to request to visit.

It allows you to say: “through my listing descriptor and many images, you should be able to receive all the information needed.  As this is my homestay and a shared homestay, as a matter of security, I do not allow preview visits. However, if you have any further question, I will be happy to answer them via the Airbnb message board. Thank you.”

3.  I noticed your “single bed” room is listed for two people? This bed is not suitable for 2. I was wondering if it was a typing error, where you cut and pasted from your rooms with bigger beds!

In your opinion it's not suitable for 2 people. I have had quite a few guests that have reserved that room for 2 people. They know it's a twin size bed when they reserve it.

Definitely my opinion...  LOL It must be love! Lol...

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Red flag - Danger.

Let Airbnb protect you. Communicate only through their app  - it's why you pay them.

Discounts bring problems

As for your abused woman. She is a stranger to you. Treat her as such.

Worse than that, imagine how you'll feel when you kick her out after her reservation ends.

She knows if you let her in your house, she can play you.

(BTW, its not appropriate for an applicant to say more than "I like your listing")

I'm glad you came to this board. I think you already knew these things.

So far I have been pretty impressed with the quality of guests, but your story is troubling.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"I'm sorry, you seem to have contacted me by mistake. If you need someone to talk to about your bad relationship, I suggest you call the crisis line, I know they can be very helpful."

Debra220
Level 1
North Charleston, SC

lol

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Debra220, go with your gut. If it feels sleazy, it probably is. As a rule of thumb, avoid anyone who asks for discounts or who gives you a sob story such as that. 

In the case of the woman in a bad relationship, even if it is legitimate, she will probably take the man back and he is going to end up at your doorstep, most likely with violence being involved. 

Look out for yourself!