Why Location is important.

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Why Location is important.

I know there are hundreds of threads on this topic and I have posted many times. But as I seem to take a different view to many of my fellow hosts (and I enjoy the banter– please be gentle!). Let me explain why in my humble opinion location is important and why we are missing the point.

I should also declare. Location is probably my properties best asset and I do not want to lose the high rating.

We are guilty as hosts,  of not looking at location from the guest perspective. As a traveller disappointed on numerous occasions by  locations not  meeting expectations,  it is not what is shown, it is what is not shown.  It is the subjective issues like neighbourhood, community, convenience, peacefulness, accuracy,  ambiance, desirability, connectivity and access etc.   And we all make those value judgments (based on price) differently, instantly and automatically.  

So my argument goes. Guests mostly base the location rating not on the map location (which is clear to see) or description; but the gut feel, softer issues listed above and this is very useful  information for fellow traveller.   

53 Replies 53

@Steven65, yes, it can certainly go both ways. I've never been one who has gotten fighting mad or really thought about it too much, but it does seem that most hosts on this forum would like to see a change to the location rating. 

Personally, I'm more interested in getting a real security deposit and the ability to add pet fees. In the meantime, let's host well, collect our fees and hope for the best! 

@John1080

Very well said 🙂 

Henry likes to say that as long as ABB brings us guests and we get paid what we're owed...... don't sweat the small stuff.

Overall, I just want a bit of consistency and clear communication from the ABB platform. Right now definitions and criteria are very ambiguous, too subjective and not at all intuitive.  

@Jessica-and-Henry0 Agreed. Less ambigous wording would definitely help. In my view if the location meets expectatoin then= 5 stars. 

@Steven65  To me that doesn't make it invalid, but it makes it useless. What one person considers a great location, because it's quiet, and remote, another will think is terrible because they were far from shopping. 

Of course guests want to see some information on how other guests found the location, it's just that star rating it makes no sense, as it's so subjective. Far better for a guest to be prompted somewhere in the review process to write a couple lines about the location.Then it would be clear why they liked it or not.

If a host is unclear or misleading in their listing description about the location, that would fall under "Accuracy". We should only be rated on things we can actually address-  like cleanliness, accuracy, communication. Location and Value are too subjective. What's fantastic for some is bad for others.

BTW, I'm very clear in my description as to the location and area of my place, how long a walk to downtown, etc. and I reinterate that in a message to the guest when they book. The only time I've gotten a 4* location rating was from a guest who specifically asked me how far my place was from where she was going to be taking a course. Which I answered accurately. She chose to book anyway, then didn't like that she had to walk the 20 minutes which I had told her clearly it required. Was that somehow my fault?

@John1080

we can write our descriptions accurate and detailed BUT GUESTS DO NOT REEEAAAADDDD! 🙂

So they will book and then will complain because the location is not close to whatever they need it to be - his girlfriend, concert hall, hiking trail, beach, you name it...

But of course if it is in a city center then it is still ok. And that's why everyone out of the center suffer low rating. 

Not to mention they are invisible on the map because the map showes just 20 available listings at the time... and those 20 are closest to the center of the city (not to the center of the map) no metter where you zoom the map. And this is NEW, just few months ago ABB changed it, before the map was full of available listings , all bubbles overlaping. Since they change it this forum is full of hosts complaining about having 0 views.

@Branka-and-Silvia0, yes the ever-present reading issue haha!  

@Branka-and-Silvia0, in fact they even can read, choose the location according to their needs, like mine-close to the bus station. And then they put lower stars for location:) Expaining in private feedback that it is far from the center:) OMG! I have to stop myself from the comments like: I apologize that they did not put the airport in front of the palace! 

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Jessica-and-Henry0 and @Steven65, yes, agreed! This overlaps, too, with the much-discussed topic on this board that most guests have no idea how the rating system works. Better educating guests about the system would go a long way towards solving a large part of the issues many of us have, I believe.

The very first few times I stayed as a host several years ago, I too gave some 4-stars because I assumed 4 meant quite good. In my view, 5-stars means very much exceeded my expectations. Hoping for some changes to the star system at some point, but in the meantime, let's hope the 5-star ratings keep coming in. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Steven65  Location is annoying, because the guest picked it!  Forget about whether they read the listing or not, they can see within a couple of blocks, where the listing is on the map.  So, anything less than 5 star for location, when this is the location the guest chose, is unfair, unless there is some kind of issue where the hosts moved them to a different listing or there was some actual fraud in the description.

Steven65
Level 10

@Mark116 So, if the location is noisy, is in a dodgy neighbourhood, has low flying aircraft, but because I looked at the map which is accurate then I should rate 5 stars? I don’t think so! 

@Steven65  See, that's the problem. If the host failed to mention those things in the listing, then the host should be marked down for Accuracy, as they are obviously things which the host should warn people about. If the host does mention it, and the guest simply failed to read it, or chose to book in spite of that, then it's unfair to rate poorly. But nothing wrong with a guest mentioning those things in the written review, IMO.

A host can't change the location of their place, all they can do is be accurate and forthcoming about it. Location shouldn't be something that enters into the algorithms which determine search placement. Accuracy, sure.

Steven65
Level 10

@Sarah977  talking as a traveller, unfortunately host location descriptions are not always trustworthy, omissions made and the maps tell me very little. So I want a location rating.    What I disagree with is removing the location rating altogether. I would prefer  good guidance for guests to encourage fair reviews. 

@Steven65 Yes, good guidance for guests to encourage fair reviews would be the logical solution to a myriad of problems with the reviews. But it seems that suggestion falls on deaf ears with Airbnb- they don't seem to think guests need any guidelines at all.

Still I think Location shouldn't be star rated, (but guests should be encouraged to comment on the location) - because that doesn't really tell you anything. Maybe someone would leave a 5* rating for a really noisy location because they're hard of hearing or they're used to noise where they live and don't really notice it, or they're the type who could sleep through anything. As a guest who would be bothered by noise, how would that 5* rating help you make a choice?

@Steven65  My guess would be that 9.5/10 if  a location could be 'noisy'  this possibility wouldn present itself based on where the listing is, if it's in any city center/hot spot, it will almost certainly be noisy, that's common sense.  Sure, there may be some outliers, but I would never downrate a host for any kind of noise that was out of his/her control.  I have to say that if a guest chooses a place in a bad neighborhood, that is also their own fault, it's up to guests to do their research, it's also a fact that 'dodgy' to one person may be 'hip' to another.   As for the 'low flying aircraft' I guess you've got me there, LOL.  

Steven65
Level 10

@Mark116 Ok so let me give you another example. The host has posted photos of leafy streets, a bakery and cafe scene. But reality is concrete precinct and a very busy road. Many do not show exterior at all.  Sadly common. But map is accurate. Still deserve 5 stars?

Travelers are not savvy to dodgy neighbourhoods or flight paths and run down properties. Location rating warns travellers to issues so why would you not want it?