Why does Airbnb let guests request cancellation fee refunds??

Alex460
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Why does Airbnb let guests request cancellation fee refunds??

This is another example of my frustration with the HOSTility Airbnb continues to show towards its suppliers.

I had a guest booked in for this Wednesday the 14th who canceled her stay a week or so ago with no word of explanation.  Just a notice from Airbnb that the guest had cancelled. There went the money I was hoping to make, and the guest left an awkward "naked Friday" (meaning I couldn't offer the following Saturday for a full weekend stay).  This annoyed me so I set my cancellation policy to strict.

Yesterday someone booked Wednesday the 14th for a one night stay.  Fine.  That helped take the sting out of the lost income.  Later in the day he cancelled saying his meeting in London was cancelled, and he immediately requested a refund.  He explained that he had a small business, etc., and that this was a hardship for him.  Unfortunately losing a reservation is a hardship for me as well.  Since that time he's sent repeated emails asking me to refund, and Airbnb is threatening me if I don't respond.

I'm very angry with Airbnb on this one.  It's Airbnb's job to explain the refund policy to guests. It's not my job to have to feel pressured into providing one or feel like a jerk if I decline to do so.  If Airbnb are concerned about the guest's extenuating circumstances, they should offer him a refund and not put me in an awkward position.

My suggestion is that if a guest wants a cancellation fee refund, the guest should first have to first request Airbnb for a waiver of the guest's cancellation policy, and they should act as intermediary.  This seems much friendlier to guests.   

1 Reply 1
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I tend to refund is someone books and then cancels very shortly thereafter. Often I see from the booking messagethat for example the stay makes no sense and query it.

Otherwise I will refund if they cancel and I can rebook. 

David